Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old August 21st, 2020, 10:42 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I note that Scy, who is a D&D guy, did not even comment on the point.
'Cause it's a shadow created by a D&D spellcaster. His shadows are not amorphous blobs, but manifestations that model existing creatures. Similar to a displacer beast? Why not? Seems like a useful creation.
Old August 21st, 2020, 11:58 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

A fair point. Thanks for responding, Scy. It is not time for me to decide anything for myself, so I will bow out.

Thanks to Sir H. and to all those brave enough to bring their nominees to this august body.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 21st, 2020, 01:18 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
'Cause it's a shadow created by a D&D spellcaster. His shadows are not amorphous blobs, but manifestations that model existing creatures. Similar to a displacer beast? Why not? Seems like a useful creation.
Yeah, they are just magical creations made of shadow, doesn't matter what it looks like except perhaps any abilities such a form allows. It's magic, not a creature.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old August 21st, 2020, 01:24 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Maybe it’s just a zoomer thing, but Super Battle Droids are much more recognizable, imo. If SBDs as ZI aren’t problematic, I wouldn’t think a D&D creature (which I admittedly have never heard of) would be.
Old August 21st, 2020, 01:53 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

For the record, I would be very opposed to a displacer beast that was not a displacer beast. As others have said, it's a very recognizable D&D creature, and D&D worlds are part of Heroscape canon.
Old August 21st, 2020, 03:38 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
@BiggaBullfrog Uh, so what’s your issue? You want me to call it a Displacer Beast cause it looks like a D&D monster? I’m confused. I’m not sure what the issue is.
As has been said, I don't think re-theming a transparent displacer beast or phase cat or what have you works as a Shadow because the mini is definitely just an illusion of the creature displacing or phasing. It breaks the fourth wall, so to speak, to see the mini and think "oh cool, it's that beast/cat, let's see it's cool power" only to have it be something else.

I think Dad Scaper put it best, especially here:
Quote:
I take one look at that mini, and I think "displacer beast." It doesn't work for me as something that can be rethemed as something else, because that distinctive creature has been familiar to me for almost 40 11 years.
... just with a small change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Maybe it’s just a zoomer thing, but Super Battle Droids are much more recognizable, imo. If SBDs as ZI aren’t problematic, I wouldn’t think a D&D creature (which I admittedly have never heard of) would be.
FWIW I would vote down to Super Battle Droids as well, and they've been sticking out like a sore thumb to me since I first saw the card.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old August 21st, 2020, 04:24 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
FWIW I would vote down to Super Battle Droids as well, and they've been sticking out like a sore thumb to me since I first saw the card.
Yup, the Super Battle Droids always come up in these discussions. I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I believe you.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 21st, 2020, 04:39 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

While similar...they aren't the same (see pics below). One is the actual Displacer Beast, the other is a miniature/monster that they've designed to be very similar but not the same.

What's more, the power I've chosen for the Shadow Stalker IS representative of the main ability the Displacer Beast has. That WAS intentional. Below I've quoted from a prominent source in the D&D community (The Monsters Know What They're Doing), though I'm sure you all could find better sources:

Quote:
"the displacer beast is a panther-like creature that walks on six legs but attacks with a pair of long, sinuous tentacles emerging from its shoulders. Its name comes from its power to make itself appear to be several feet from where it actually is.

Aside from this passive feature, there’s not much in the displacer beast’s stat block to make it anything but a straightforward brute."
Article (emphasis added)
I designed the stalkers ability with this theme in mind. So in a way, you could say this does the Displacer Beast justice, especially when aside from that ability there isn't much else going on to make it unique aside from it's tentacles, which I gave it the liberty of using a cool, new unique ability for rather than a bland (yet powerful) multi-attack.

Phase cat

Displacer Beast

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 21st, 2020, 04:50 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, the Super Battle Droids always come up in these discussions. I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I believe you.
Those darn kids!

While the Super Battle Clankers are in the prequel films, they’re much more visible in The Clone Wars TV Show and the Star Wars Legos (which were my childhood). Regular Clankers are definitely more widely known, but I feel like SBDs are well-known among Zoomers (and perhaps Millennials).
Old August 21st, 2020, 05:43 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Those darn kids!

While the Super Battle Clankers are in the prequel films, they’re much more visible in The Clone Wars TV Show and the Star Wars Legos (which were my childhood). Regular Clankers are definitely more widely known, but I feel like SBDs are well-known among Zoomers (and perhaps Millennials).
I always wondered the same thing about the super battle droids. Not using units that stuck out as something else or things cant be used because they are too iconic but using Super Battle droids is OK? I guess they stuck out to me because I'm a big star wars nerd and are immediately recognizable as a star wars unit. In the grand scheme of things I don't much care, but wondered why you guys of the C3V/SOV always had limitations on yourselves in this way with limited exceptions to the rule. I do enjoy the Zettian Infantry at any rate and like what they do for those Deathwalkers. I don't see the shadow displacer beast being a problem any more than the Super Battledroids. I think less so. Anyways, those are my pennies, for what they are worth, which isn't much because I'm no SOV judge.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 21st, 2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I always wondered the same thing about the super battle droids. Not using units that stuck out as something else or things cant be used because they are too iconic but using Super Battle droids is OK? I guess they stuck out to me because I'm a big star wars nerd and are immediately recognizable as a star wars unit.
Everyone draws the line at a different place, depending on their own background and interests. I honestly think that the Super Battle Droids wouldn't be allowed to go through the system with the current set of people; too many would be against them. At that time the people involved felt differently (less Star Wars nerds, I suppose).
Old August 21st, 2020, 06:17 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

The first time I saw the Zetian Infantry I immediately recognized them as Super Battle Droids. I grew up watching the movies, and playing the games. Anyone who played the recent Battlefront games will recognize them too. The Phase Cat is actually different (if only slightly) from a Displacer beast, so at least for me, I don't think it's worth a downvote.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs