Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation
With Dund

I have dund, and have yet to play him. This week, I plan to use him in a group game, and i was wondering what you think of the army I'm bringing.

Dund-110
Stingers X4-240
Q10- 150

total-500

sound functional?
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: With Dund

Sounds functional to me.

~Aldin, who thinks that army would be fun to play with

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM

roostertail9000 is surprisingly tart

Sounds like a pretty cool army combo. I think I'll try that sometime.

Boise ID Scaper
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM

Superm9 is surprisingly tart

I just recently played with a similar army, and owned my opponent:

Dund
Major Q10
Krav-Maga Agents
Izumi Samuri
Raelin (RotV)

So yes, Dund is a very fun unit to use - just expect him to intimidate your opponent more often than actually remove your opponent's order markers!

Star Wars
Battlefront II Fan!
Check out pictures of my custom Heroscape terrain props, maps, and my SWBFII mod map: Xagobah: Mazarian Assault here
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM

I wanted to use him either for clean up, or for order marker efficient armies, a menacer.
Most of the people I play against have rather inefficient OM armies, so likely he will just be for clean up. Stingers and Q10 for everything else.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM

myrealnameisjon is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I have dund, and have yet to play him.

Dund-110
Stingers X4-240
Q10- 150

total-500

sound functional?
Yes, that sounds quite functional, but then again, Q10 + Stingers is functional even if you burn the 110 points. It doesn't sound like a particularly themed build around Dund that will knock anyone's socks off.

If you want to get some street cred for making an army around Dund, let's think about what he does well.

*He's a major intimidator. One of my favorite sayings from when I played chess frequently was that the threat of an attack was usually worse than the attack itself. That's certainly the case with Dund. Keep an order marker on him, keep your opponent guessing, make your opponent spread the order markers around.

*In order to be effective, you need to be able to move him. For this reason Agent Skahen at 120 points (if you have her) simply can't be beat. You've got to be able to get Dund out of harm's way (he's got a huge red target on himself) and get him where he can actually stare down the opponent (even if it's just a threat).

*You want to keep Dund alive, and at 5 defense, that won't be a major challenge, but it'll take some skill. Most importantly, you want some peons to engage the enemy and some range to take them out. Krav Agents gel really well with Dund, (no surprise there's at least one competitive build already in this thread that uses them) and so would Nakitas. Raelin at 80 is a valuable asset, but not absolutely necessary.

*Finally, I'd say you want to keep your army tight, so that the 5 range of the special and 6 move (or 4 under Skahen's cover fire) is more useful.

I guess I'm suggesting the following as a thought:
Dund - 110
Skahen - 120
Krav - 100
2x Rats - 80
Raelin - 80
Otonashi - 10

Is it competitive? Maybe. Probably not a tournament winner, but if you play it well, highlighting Dund's strengths, you might just surprise a few people and turn some heads.

I'm still not sold on the 2x Rats + Raelin, maybe there's a better use of 160 points to be had (some strong melee squads might be nice, for example), but this is completely off the top of my head, and I'm just trying to get everyone's creative juices flowing.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrealnameisjon View Post
Quote:
I have dund, and have yet to play him.

Dund-110
Stingers X4-240
Q10- 150

total-500

sound functional?
Yes, that sounds quite functional, but then again, Q10 + Stingers is functional even if you burn the 110 points. It doesn't sound like a particularly themed build around Dund that will knock anyone's socks off.

If you want to get some street cred for making an army around Dund, let's think about what he does well.

*He's a major intimidator. One of my favorite sayings from when I played chess frequently was that the threat of an attack was usually worse than the attack itself. That's certainly the case with Dund. Keep an order marker on him, keep your opponent guessing, make your opponent spread the order markers around.

*In order to be effective, you need to be able to move him. For this reason Agent Skahen at 120 points (if you have her) simply can't be beat. You've got to be able to get Dund out of harm's way (he's got a huge red target on himself) and get him where he can actually stare down the opponent (even if it's just a threat).

*You want to keep Dund alive, and at 5 defense, that won't be a major challenge, but it'll take some skill. Most importantly, you want some peons to engage the enemy and some range to take them out. Krav Agents gel really well with Dund, (no surprise there's at least one competitive build already in this thread that uses them). Raelin at 80 is a valuable asset, but not necessary.

*Finally, I'd say you want to keep your army tight, so that the 5 range of the special and 6 move (or 4 under Skahen's cover fire) is more useful.

I guess I'm suggesting the following as a thought:
Dund - 110
Skahen - 120
Krav - 100
2x Rats - 80
Raelin - 80
Otonashi - 10

Is it competitive? Maybe. Probably not a tournament winner, but if you play it well, highlighting Dund's strengths, you might just surprise a few people and turn some heads.

I'm still not sold on the 2x Rats + Raelin, maybe there's a better use of 160 points to be had (some strong melee squads might be nice, for example), but this is completely off the top of my head, and I'm just trying to get everyone's creative juices flowing.
If only I had Skahen, or any Deathreavers.

Nice avatar by the way. Home Star Runner rox!
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:55 AM

myrealnameisjon is surprisingly tart

Quote:
If only I had Skahen, or any Deathreavers.
Ha ha, yeah, the best laid plans of rats and agents... to be fair, I don't have them either; I just like to dream. If forced to make some army like this with my units, I'd probably put Nakitas in for Skahen, drop the Kravs and Rats, and put in 2x Gorillanators. Not a powerful or convincing army, but at least I have all those!

Quote:
Nice avatar by the way. Home Star Runner rox!
Thanks! Myrealnameisjeff and I have been working on making custom units out of those figurines. Keep your eyes open (and not looking into Dund's!), maybe we'll post our ideas soon.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

I'm reviving this thread, as I intend to work Dund into a real Lost World that I and my assistant, Chas, are building this Saturday, and I seek advice. I envision a jungle escarpment split by an icy gorge. There will be some sort of glyph teleportation for nonflying figures. There will be 750 - 1,000 points. We may go pre-gunpowder (a favored theme, one I'd recommend for tournament). Chas has terrain galore. Any Dund war stories out there?

David
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's my Dünd war story.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Junge Roman has disabled reputation

-and it's still hilarious! Great work.

I think it's awesome when anyone even works Dund into an army. At 530 or 540, he really can be thrown in almost as filler at the end. He WILL come into his own.
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:57 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

And at 750 - 1000, how could he not?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion