Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM

Rifier_Ace is surprisingly tart
Re: 10th Regiment of Foot Revealed

Have to say I am digging these units. It will be fun to have a little mix between the 4th Mass and the 10th Regiment. Overall they look like wonderful units with a lot of fun tactical flexibility.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

For crying out loud, people! We haven't even playtested these guys yet! Let's cool off on the 4th Mass / 10th Regiment "dominance debate" a bit here.

I'm all for discussing pros and cons, and interesting comparisons, and point-costing, but WOW! We don't need to sound as if someone insulted your momma when discussing opinions here... Cuz at this time, all we have are unsubstantiated opinions.

The 4th Mass appear to be more defense-oriented as a strength.
The 10th Regiment appear to be more offense-oriented as a strength.

They have many similarities, for obvious reasons, but I see their play-styles as being different enough that one unit isn't in danger of being replaced by a new unit... WotC provided us with a great new option for more interesting army builds, combos, tactics, help for older units (Greeks), and a long-anticipated British counterpart to our well-loved 4th Mass.

No matter which unit may eventually come to be recognized as a potentially overall "better value", they will most likely BOTH see plenty of gametime.

OK, I'm done.

Carry on...

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post
It is interesting that you can gain the bayonet bonus by moving around an opposing figure you're already engaged with... Pivot and stab! When you move in your melee figures to engage the Redcoats, you'll really need to be careful with your final placement to try to pin them down, denying them the option of an easy bayonet movement.

Obviously the Gladiatrons will be anxious to engage these Brits as quickly as possible!
Good observation Snotwalker 8000. The first character I thought of when I read Bayonet Attack was Gladiatrons. Cyberclaw just keeps on getting more an more useful...

10th Reg will be a lot of fun to play, especially against 4th Mass.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodorelogan View Post
Quote:
Why would somebody replace their 4th Mass in their all valiant army with these guys?
They wouldn't. But why would you run an all valiant army now that these guys are available? As I noted earlier, just the fact that you can use these guys with Marcus (without losing defense bonus) is huge.

Quote:
but if you are building a Valiant Army, then 4th Mass would represent a better value.
The whole reason that people run all valiant armies is because the 4th Mass is so good. My prediction: once people see how much better these guys are, they won't bother limiting their armies to all valiant much anymore. Why would they, when there is a superior alternative that allows them to use any unit (once again, including Marcus)? I wouldn't limit the makeup of my army unless there was a significant benefit to be had by doing so. With the release of these fellows, there is no longer a significant benefit to limiting my army to all-valiant.
I agree that this guys are better under many more circumstances than the 4th Mass, but I can't agree with you when you predict that "once people realize how much better these guys are..." They are better in IMO given some statements above, but not significantly better as to make people drop the 4th Mass. It's a more versatile unit and more playable in different armies, etc., but claiming absolute superiority in any context is a far cry.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Why would somebody replace their 4th Mass in their all valiant army with these guys?
They wouldn't. But why would you run an all valiant army now that these guys are available? As I noted earlier, just the fact that you can use these guys with Marcus (without losing defense bonus) is huge.
But the defense bonus is VERY limited.

I agree, on my first glance, that I was surprised at how "powerful" these guys appeared to be compared to the Minutemen. Then I reasoned that it would make sense for them to be, no matter how much I, as a patriotic American, would prefer it otherwise. Hence the higher cost, right? But after further contemplation, reading this thread, etc., I'm no longer as impressed.

Their defense bonus only applies to adjacent normal attacks? So they're good against... what? Knights & Romans?

And the existence of the Brits is no reason for everyone to throw out all of their "all valiant" armies. That's stretching things a bit, IMHO.

theodorelogan Woo who?

Quote:
Why will we see in a few months? They come out in 11 days. I give it a couple weeks, after people spend countless hours playing after receiving their package from HouseMouse, etc.
I think it is going to take a few months to fully vet them (including at tournaments). My prediction is that these guys are going to replace the Mass in 90% of armies. To me, that means they are better.

Last edited by theodorelogan; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

These are better than the 4th Mass. Why?

1.) Only 5 points more.

2.) They still have a defensive abilty.

3.) Jungle... Jungle... and more Jungle. If you're opponent is hiding from you in the jungle, go in after them with a bayonet charge, negating their jungle def bonus.

4.) They have the same stats as the 4th, along with sharing WtF.

5.) Marcus and Raelin. Before you had to lose the valiant bonus to draft these... now you don't. Not to mention Marcus has an adjacent attack bonus.

6.) The bayonet charge boosts your mobilty. After you kill whatever you charged, you're now 5 spaces ahead (or 6 if you're using Marcus).

7.) And to top it all off, they boost the Greeks.

Red Coats 4x - 300

Marcus - 400

Raelin - 480

20 points of filler - 500

That is disgustingly powerful*.

*Okay, okay, I know I haven't playtested these guys yet, but they're like the same thing as 4th Mass., I don't think these are very hard to theoryscape accurately.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, on my first glance, that I was surprised at how "powerful" these guys appeared to be compared to the Minutemen. Then I reasoned that it would make sense for them to be, no matter how much I, as a patriotic American, would prefer it otherwise. Hence the higher cost, right? But after further contemplation, reading this thread, etc., I'm no longer as impressed.

Their defense bonus only applies to adjacent normal attacks? So they're good against... what? Knights & Romans?

And the existence of the Brits is no reason for everyone to throw out all of their "all valiant" armies. That's stretching things a bit, IMHO.
Not if they Bayonet Charge adjacent to the range units.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM

theodorelogan Woo who?

Quote:
It's a more versatile unit and more playable in different armies, etc., but claiming absolute superiority in any context is a far cry.
Hey, I'm not claiming that. No unit is better in EVERY single situation than any other unit (for it's point value). But we still say that some units are better than others, regardless.

Even in an all valiant army, the 4th always have an extra defense, but the Foot sometimes have the extra defense less often than the 4th, but have an extra attack more often. I would say that the 4th have a edge in an all valiant army...but even there not by a lot, IMO.

Good point about Raelin Paragoomba.

If it were not for the 4th, people might use the Ashigaru more often. But since they can pick from both, they choose the 4th, and Ashigaru are /will berelegated to Kato armies. The same will happen with the 4th now that there is a superior choice in the 10th. That is all I mean to say.

Last edited by theodorelogan; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Not if they Bayonet Charge adjacent to the range units.
Right, they're not getting the defense bonus only against units with a range of 1, they're getting the bonus against any normal attack from an adjacent figure.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

Quote:
Quote:
It's a more versatile unit and more playable in different armies, etc., but claiming absolute superiority in any context is a far cry.
Hey, I'm not claiming that. No unit is better in EVERY single situation than any other unit (for it's point value). But we still say that some units are better than others, regardless.

Even in an all valiant army, the 4th always have an extra defense, but the Foot sometimes have the extra defense less often than the 4th, but have an extra attack more often. I would say that the 4th have a edge in an all valiant army...but even there not by a lot, IMO.

Good point about Raelin Paragoomba.

If it were not for the 4th, people might use the Ashigaru more often. But since they can pick from both, they choose the 4th, and Ashigaru are /will berelegated to Kato armies. The same will happen with the 4th now that there is a superior choice in the 10th. That is all I mean to say.
Thanks for the rep. Although i'll probably say something controversial and neg-rep myself... as always.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:29 AM

theodorelogan Woo who?

2 X 10th 150
Marcus 250
Raelin 330
Zetacron 390
Isamu 400

Now that is a ridiculous 400 pt army.

If they have range greater than 6, just plink away at it with Zetacron and force them to come into range of your height advantaged defense 5 attack 5 10th regiment! Even Q-9 can't stand up for long against a height-advantage deadly shot. Either Q-9 comes into range of the 10th to take out zetacron, or Zetacron picks him apart while Q-9 attacks the 5 defense 10th regiment.

Last edited by theodorelogan; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units