Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
The Playgrounds of Valhalla

I've been bleating on and off for a while in the Battlefields of Valhalla thread about how the tournament map scene should be much broader than the BoV. At some point rather than whinging about things you'd like to see done differently you have to step up and do those things yourself. But I'm too lazy for that. Instead, I'm starting this thread with the hope that you all will do it for me.

So what exactly is a "Playground of Valhalla"? Simply put, it's a tournament-worthy map that is not eligible for the BoV.

Why might we care about such curiosities? Surely the BoV serves our tournament map needs very well? Yes, it does. This project is in no way meant to compete with what the BoV does so well---identifying maps of the highest quality according to rigorous well-chosen criteria. The BoV contains maps that a TD will want to turn to first. My goal here is to identify some maps that TDs will want to turn to last.

Perhaps an example of how I choose maps for an event might help explain my point. Suppose I have to pick ten maps. My inclination is to start with five BoV maps. This will guarantee high overall quality in the map pool. Next I want to include a few non-BoV maps that I have a high opinion of, usually I've playtested them and they're by local 'scapers. Finally, I'll have one or two slots left, some random mishmash of terrain and what do I do? Come to this thread, I hope, and find a tournament-worthy map that uses SotM, two pine trees, a jungle bush, four hives and a handful of snow hexes from boosters that happens to fit my needs.

That's not the only way to qualify as a Playground of Valhalla. For example the BoV have ruled against using two RotVs in the same map or using uncapped pillars. Not all TDs are unhappy with such builds. I agree with the BoV disallowing both of these; as a TD I'd be happy to consider maps that use them. There's a lot of leeway between best-of-the-best and tournament-worthy. Not all TDs will share your views of what should be considered, but here anything unconventional is fine. That's not to say it's an endorsement (as if I was in any position to give such endorsements) to using these unconventional tricks; just that if some TDs are happy to allow something and you want to build maps that have that feature then you should be encouraged. Consider yourself encouraged.

A third way to be a Playground of Valhalla is to meet the eligibility requirements for the BoV, be plainly unsuitable even for nomination to the BoV, yet be tournament-worthy. The sort of thing I have in mind here is a single SotM map. I struggle to imagine such a map ever being BoV-worthy; I can imagine a tournament-worthy one. Also in this category is the "buddy map". Here's an example that illustrates the idea I hope. Ignore for the moment the uncapped-pillar issue and the blatant lack of quality:

Fists Of Fury

This takes two SotM and an FotA to build. Eligible for the BoV but clearly not a good use of that terrain. However, given two SotM and an FotA you can build both this map and Embattled Fen. That's good use of terrain in my book and, in a better quality map, something that would interest TDs.

Another motivation for me is to liberate map-makers. I get the impression that many map-makers attempting to make a tournament-worthy map look to the BoV guidelines and work within them. That strikes me as wrong. If you want to make a map out of just tundra sets, you should (this is something I've been toying with, but don't have a working concept yet). The BoV regulations shouldn't influence you when you sit down to make a map, in my opinion. I think there is an exciting space to be explored here with some excellent idiosyncratic maps to be built.

So how am I going to organise the thread? In my usual shambolic way. I'll bag the next post and save that for displaying and/or linking to maps of interest. I don't have any intention of instituting a formalised judging process; more likely I'll have links to maps along with comments from TDs that have used them in one section and another section for hopefuls to catch a passing TD's eye. I'll update this first post as we evolve a better idea how to make it work and with other stuff too.

I want this thread to be useful to TDs looking for maps in situations where the BoV does not provide exactly what they need. There are other good threads for that too, coming from slightly different angles. Here are a few I like; please suggest more and I'll add them.There is also the BoV itself---in addition to the accepted maps, the ones that were rejected are, in many cases, well worth a TD's perusal and the reviews of the judges can be considered.

Do you have any nominations for playgrounds? And get building!

Last edited by ollie; February 28th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: The Playgrounds of Valhalla

Map Display Post.

Acorlarh's Trial

Velenne's map thread

Terrain: BftU x2, FotA, Lava.
Non-BoV reason: too much terrain.
Tournament use: none known.
Glyphs: required.

Burning Barracks, by Sup3rs0n1c.

Sup3rs0n1c's map thread.

Terrain: RotV, Marvel (optional), Lava, FotA.
Non-BoV reason: too much terrain (or illegal pillars without the Marvel set).

Decline of Sight, by Killercactus.

Killercactus's map thread

Terrain: Marvel, SotM, RotV, 2x RttFF , extra rock, grass and sand tiles.
Tournament use: KC's Second Birthday Bash.

Don't Walk, Run, by Darkmage7a.

Darkmage7a's map thread

Terrain: RotV, FotA, Lava.
Non-BoV reason: uncapped pillars.

Don't Walk, Run v2.0, by Darkmage7a.

Darkmage7a's map thread

Terrain: RotV, FotA, Lava.
Non-BoV reason: uncapped pillars.
Tournament use: Green Mountain Montage (June 2010, VT).

Dune Buggy, by Killercactus.

Killercactus's map thread

Terrain: RotV, Marvel, RttFF, extra sand tiles)
Tournament use: KC's Second Birthday Bash.

Entrapment, by Mad_Wookiee

Mad_Wookiee's map thread

Terrain: SotM x2, Jungle x3.

Escher Infinity II, by Ch1can0.

Ch1can0's 2MS map thread.

Terrain: RotV x2, RttFF x2, FotA.
Notes: Ch1can0 has many many beautiful RotV x2 maps in the linked thread. Go check them out. I chose this one as looking, to my eye, most suitable for a tournament because of its relatively small footprint and lots of road tiles. You might well prefer a different one.

Grendel, by Mad_Wookiee.

Mad_Wookiee's map thread

Terrain: SotM, BftU, TJ x2.
Tournament use: Assassins' Guild, Philadelphia April Event.
Glyphs: none.

Jonathan's Hometown Map, by Jonathan.

Jonathan's map thread.

Terrain: RotV, FotA x2.
Non-BoV reason: uncapped pillars, too much terrain.
Tournament use: 2007 Houston League.
Notes: I'm not sure exactly what the 2007 Houston League was and what format it used, but context suggests that each player got to design a map with their army in mind.

Marpesia's Glory, by Gamebear.

Gamebear's map thread

Terrain: SotM, FotA, Jungle.
Non-BoV reason: castle tops out-of-bounds.
Tournament use: Maryland April 2010.

Mayberry, by Mad_Wookiee.

Mad_Wookiee's map thread

Terrain: Marvel x2, RttFF x2.
Non-BoV reason: Too much terrain and special Marvel wall rule: "Although the pic shows the full Warehouse Ruin piece, remove the second level from the piece before play."
Tournament use: non known.

Mines of Marr, by Velenne.

Velenne's map thread

Terrain: BftU, Marvel, Lava, RttFF.

Mole Hills: Hellbound, by Ollie

Ollie's map thread

Terrain: RotV, BftU (shadow tiles only), RttFF (small trees only), Lava x2.
Glyphs: optional
Notes: a mod of Jonathan's original Mole Hills.

Normandy Beach, by Bengi.

Bengi's map thread.

Terrain: RotV, SotM.
Non-BoV reason: Hive placement in lower start zone.
Tournament use: Battle at the Border II.

Ruff Stuff, by Ollie.

Ollie's map thread

Terrain: SotM, BftU, Lava, RttFF, Jungle, TT.

Swamp Helix 7.3, by Dok.

Dok's map thread.

Terrain: SotM, Marvel, FotA, RttFF.
Tournament use: Rocky Mountain Rumble.
Notes. An earlier version of this map was considered by the BoV.

Underground Oasis, by killercactus.

Terrain: BftU x2.
Tournament use: KC's Second Birthday Bash

Wicked Wall, by Bengi.

Bengi's map thread.

Terrain: RotV, FotA.
non-BoV reason: uncapped pillars
Tournament use: Battle at the Border II, Maryland April 2010.

The use of a Lexan mat is a common way to be ineligible for the BoV. The polls linked in the first post have many good maps. Any of those that see tournament play and any new seemingly tournament-worthy ones are in these spoiler tags:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by ollie; December 4th, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Very cool concept ollie...might I add one suggestion?

Can we classify maps based on if they work well only with glyphs...only without glyphs...and works well both ways?

For example...the map I built for the GenCon contest last year...The Grotto...really needs the glyphs otherwise there is no reason to take the risk of going into to grotto itself.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Can we classify maps based on if they work well only with glyphs...only without glyphs...and works well both ways?
I guess that information should go with each map in any case. I'm currently envisioning a list of info for each map in the display post. I'll dig up a few now to start things rolling, and include this info.
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM

That Guy0715 is surprisingly tart

Will anyone be judging the maps being submitted? How will you determine if they are tournament worthy?

Spoiler Alert!
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy0715 View Post
Will anyone be judging the maps being submitted? How will you determine if they are tournament worthy?
Nope. Ultimately it's up to each individual tournament director to decide whether a map is worthy to be used at his/her tournament. (This is true for all maps, not just the ones listed here.)

I hope people will chime in with their experiences on the maps to help the TD make that decision. Also, by listing other tournaments where these maps have been used, TDs can follow that up by talking with the TD and players from that event.

In short, this thread is not going to do all, or even much, of the work for a TD. However, I do hope it inspires them to do a little more legwork than they might otherwise have.
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A suggestion I have is to place an * next to a map that was used in an actual tourney and then maybe link to that tourney. This way if a map looks interesting to a TD s/he can look to see how it was percieved at the tournament. I really like this idea and I see it being a nice addition to the BoV.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
A suggestion I have is to place an * next to a map that was used in an actual tourney and then maybe link to that tourney. This way if a map looks interesting to a TD s/he can look to see how it was percieved at the tournament. I really like this idea and I see it being a nice addition to the BoV.
I've been linking to tournaments in the info section after the image of the map (see Wicked Wall or Swamp Helix). Do you think doing more than that is useful?
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thats what I get for not looking over your post thoroughly. I think this should be enough info. Just enough for TDs to make a wise decision on whether or not a particular map should be used.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

What about modifications of existing BoV maps to add concepts from D&D 'scape? For example, the modification of Swamp Thing I suggested in my blog (Musings on a Possible Tournament Map . . .).
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
What about modifications of existing BoV maps to add concepts from D&D 'scape? For example, the modification of Swamp Thing I suggested in my blog (Musings on a Possible Tournament Map . . .).
What do you mean by concepts? Rereading your blog posting, it seems that you are just suggesting moving the startzones of Swamp Thing around. Such a map would be BoV-eligible and not a good candidate for a Playground of Valhalla, I don't think. (There are many many good tournament maps out there that are BoV-eligible. I think they should be used more. However, this thread is not the place to promote them.)

If you mean adding in additional terrain---some well-placed shadow tiles say---then yes, that might make for a good playground if the original map was already pushing the BoV limits.

I don't see a map thread for you in Dignan's list. Do you have one? More than anything else, I want people to be inspired to build novel maps and to share them. Have at it.

Last edited by ollie; February 28th, 2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Blog link added.
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
What do you mean by concepts? Rereading your blog posting, it seems that you are just suggesting moving the startzones of Swamp Thing around. Such a map would be BoV-eligible and not a good candidate for a Playground of Valhalla, I don't think. (There are many many good tournament maps out there that are BoV-eligible. I think they should be used more. However, this thread is not the place to promote them.)

If you mean adding in additional terrain---some well-placed shadow tiles say---then yes, that might make for a good playground if the original map was already pushing the BoV limits.

I don't see a map thread for you in Dignan's list. Do you have one? More than anything else, I want people to be inspired to build novel maps and to share them. Have at it.
You read the variable start zone blog rather than the musings one .

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios