Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:38 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
funrun's HS Repaints

If you have ideas for custom powers but don't have the ability to create your own repainted figs, or if you just want some awesome-looking figs to play with, I can paint whatever figures you want in whatever colors you have in mind. Since custom painting is a very timely process that requires a steady hand and a lot of patience, I appreciate compensation for my efforts. PM me if you are interested and we can work out the details.
---------------------

This thread got started because I have had some longtime ideas of other colors that I wanted to paint some of my HS figures, and some sculpts just needed their detail highlighted better, while the rest of these concepts I just came up with for a prize table. All of my photos here are linked in larger detail in my Gallery album "My Awesome HS Fig Repaints".

Repaints I'm Considering:
- Grimnak
- replicas of EOV
- Thorgrim
- Finn
- Omnicron Snipers
- Kelda
- Sacred Band/ Parmenio
- Valguard
- Warriors of Ashra
- Q10
- new Raelin

"Victorious Retiarius"
What human race has yellow-orange skin and white hair?! Retiarius clearly needed a repaint to bring him up to the glory a gladiator hero deserves. I did some image research on gladiators and decided a proper gladiator champion needed a very tan skin tone, dark brown hair, lots of steel-colored metal, a slightly embellished belt, and a golden headband. Retiarius is shown how he would look at the end of a victorious battle: boasting a few minor flesh wounds, muscles bulging, stained with dirt and bloodsmears, but standing proud and healthy.
*This figure was donated as a prize in the Dallas Team Tournament, February 2008.

Repaint: Retiarius, front
Left to right: original Retiarius, my repaint. Not only is the hair and skin a human color, but the diaper is a real linen color, and it doesn't match the net color, which is a more realistic color of knotted, dirty rope. The metal colors are now shiny metallic, and the belt has more contrast detail and a gold center. Instead of a necklace with a bone pendant, the sculpt is painted truer to history as a neck brace connected to a few silver links that can be chained to something. The spear shaft is repainted from gold to a dark wood, which helps define the arm against the spear, and is a more likely material for a spear shaft. The trident spear is partially covered in blood from one deadly jab with the two end prongs, the act of which got a lot of blood on the outside of his lower left leg. The blood stain on the diaper is especially realistic-looking. A minor flesh wound on his left arm has dripped down along the spear and bloodied his thumb.

Repaint: Retiarius, side
Left to right: original Retiarius, my repaint. Here you can see Retiarius' right forearm is extra dirty. That's because he fell when his opponent made a painful slice under his right pectoral muscle, which got blood smeared all over his armpit when he continued to fight. One part of the net is blood-stained from that deadly trident jab.

Repaint: Retiarius, back
Left to right: original Retiarius, my repaint. Look at those muscles bulge! A minor flesh wound on the back of his leg dripped down the crack of his calf muscle. From this angle you can see how much blood that deadly trident jab transfered to his foot. The odd sculpt filler between the spear and the hair is no longer painted in the skin color, so there is a less defined yet more realistic color transition where the hair falls behind the spear. Overall, painting a male's buns of steel in a thong. . . I can't complain much!

"Naughty Raelin"
Raelin dons the wings from a Victoria's Secret runway show in this finely-detailed repaint intended to uncover hidden skin and bring out Raelin's hidden sexy side. Variegated pink and white feathers soften her formerly rigid wings while a skin-tight black and hot pink revealing midriff shows no signs of Raelin being soft and gentle behind closed doors! (This is by far my most detailed sculpt, please click my gallery link to get to the larger pics with all the details.)
*This figure was donated as a prize in the Dallas 3 Pack Draft Tournament, January 2008.

Repaint: Raelin, front
Left to right: my repaint, original Raelin. Raelin's midriff was totally hidden by the original paint, but now there is a lot of interest created by sharp angles highlighted in the sculpt. Her skin also looks nicer in a more pale shade of flesh. Previously hidden necklace detail is brought to light. Those pointy things on the boots never seemed much like kneepads to me, so I made them all part of an above-the-knee devilishly spiky boot. All the black areas are metallic, except her leotard pants, which are painted in a contrasting darker shade of matte black. Instead of a droopy spear, Naughty Raelin carries a pink ribbon-wrapped beat stick. Watch out boys!

Repaint: Raelin, side
Left to right: my repaint, original Raelin. Skin, skin, skin: Raelin's neck is finally released from that blue turtleneck while this angle shows off the incredible cut-out details on her bodice that extend all the way down her bikini line. The hip protector is properly highlighted. The wings supports now make more sense, as if the feathers are held in place by the metal supports. This is because the inner side of the wing arc is connected to the wings tips and all the way through her bodice armor in the middle of her back.

"Custom Valkyrie Order Markers"
The red set looks downright evil in person! The copper set also features copper rivets. This was by far the tiniest detailed painting I've ever done, especially en masse. And of course, it was very important to get them all looking exactly the same!

"Demon Viking"
I wanted to go all-out evil with this guy, so I started with dark red on the horns and spear tip, and made the cape fasteners look like red skulls, then went from there. I didn't want to overdo "evil" in the stereotypical red and black mantra, so I mixed a really dark green and purple to break up the stereotypical red and black evil colors. I broke HS paint tradition with a few new things: I painted the cuff around the legs that is normally associated with the boot color as the pant color to make his legs look longer, and I freehand painted dripping blood and swirling blood for a super-gory look that I'm not sure official HS could get away with in the mass market.
*This figure was donated as a prize in the Dallas Worst Army Tournament, June 2007.

Repaint: Tarn Viking Warrior with goggles, front
Left to right: my repaint, original HS Viking from the Tarn Viking Warriors. Calling to the underworld, this viking repaint features subtle dark color variations, such as a purple smock/skirt, green pants and gloves, red boots and accents, black metals, two-tone cape, bluish-silver underarmor, a belt amulet full of swirling blood, and blood dripping from his horns and spear. "Aw, Demon! You rubbed up against some blood with your skirt!"

Repaint: Tarn Viking Warrior with goggles, back
Left to right: my repaint, original HS Viking from the Tarn Viking Warriors. From the back you can see more dripping blood, a blood-swirled amulet on his shield, really scraggly hair, and the accents of the two-tone cape.

"Black Knights of Wessex"
I wanted to find a good use for the extra Knights of Weston leftover from the Knights & Swog Rider pack after painting Sir Hawthorne and Nerak replicas. Sir Hawthorne seemed like he needed a squad to follow him, so I now have these guys created as a custom army. Discussion about their powers is in my funrun's Custom Armies thread.

Repaint: extra Knights of Weston (non-Sir Hawthornes)
I used an actual black metallic color as opposed to Sir Hawthorne's flat black metal. The colored areas are the same as on Sir Hawthorne, but since this is a squad these guys don't have the same level of special detail. For their shields I used a traditional design with a gold dot in the center to tie into Sir Hawthorne's color palette.

"Black Knight Hero"
This guy is the topper for the Heroscape Hex Tile Dice Box (seen here) that will be a prize at the Dallas Team Tourney. I used this figure because I accidently painted this knight with my Black Knights of Wessex.

Repaint: Knight of Weston (Sir Hawthorne sculpt), Front
From the paint job I had already done from painting this guy as a Black Knight of Wessex, I then did a more detailed variation in a reverse coloring of Sir Hawthorne; the under-armor is the lighter color than the top layer.

Repaint: Knight of Weston (Sir Hawthorne sculpt), Shield Detail
The inside of the Dice Box has a green felt lining, so I used the same green for his shield design and tied in the gold accents from his armor.

Repaint: Knight of Weston (Sir Hawthorne sculpt), Back
The style continues onto his back and even behind his knees, wherever it appears to be the very bottom layer of armor.

"Nerak Replica"
MrBarkyPants commissioned me to repaint him a Swog Rider into a Nerak.

Repaint: Swog Rider (aka Nerak), Comparison to Actual Nerak
I knew it would be a tough one, but I think he turned out pretty well (replica on the left.)

"Sir Hawthorne Replica"
MrBarkyPants commissioned me to repaint him a Knight of Weston into a Sir Hawthorne (and a Swog Rider into a Nerak.) I warned him the shield design was a transfer decal that could not be replicated, so we agreed I would try to paint an "H" or whatever design I felt moved to paint at the time. . . well, I felt moved to try painting the dragon and was quite impressed with myself! :P

Repaint: Knight of Weston (aka Sir Hawthorne), Back
Without seeing the shield design, I think it is impossible for anyone (except me) to look at the paint and tell which one is the real Sir H and which is my repainted replica. See my poll thread to make your vote on A or B as the real one. (You don't know if I switched their relative positions in this photo )

Repaint: Knight of Weston (aka Sir Hawthorne), Front
The real Sir Hawthorne and my Knight of Weston repaint replica.

Repaint: Knight of Weston (aka Sir Hawthorne), Shield Detail
I can't believe I freehand painted that dragon on there!

"Red and Black Knight"
This guy is the topper for the Heroscape Hex Tile Mini Dice-Rolling Travel Box (seen here.) I really wanted to create a less "shiny, new" look and make the metal color more realistic by going with a dark silver metallic. The color change isn't noticeable at first glance, but it's obvious with a regular Knight of Weston next to him. I used red to pull out some of the more interesting details on the sculpt and black to help emphasize the different layers of armor.

Repaint: Knight of Weston (sculpt modified by CupidsArt), front
His entire armor is a much darker metal than the Knights of Weston, but his sword is still bright shiny silver for subtle contrast. His mohawk, hinges, belt, chest detailing, and shield design have red accents. On the front and back, his overlay chest armer and hip guards are painted black for nice contrast.

Repaint: Knight of Weston (sculpt modified by CupidsArt), back
The back carries through the same color detailing as the front. Note the red hinges on the knee caps.

"Enhanced Camouflage Airborne Elite"
R˙chean gave me the camouflage idea, and I turned it into the topper for his dice box gift (seen here.)

Repaint: Airborne Elite, full view of fronts and backs
Jungle camouflage colored uniforms make these guys seem a bit more "army." Similar to my enhanced Sgt. Drake—every snap, button, belt buckle, and even the screw-top to the canteen in back is colored brass for ultimate realism.

"Angry Wolf"
The concept for this guy was to really pump up the angry scary intimidation factor to go with their Unleashed Fury power. Since I submitted this figure in a contest here I had to paint his eyes green otherwise I might have went with an orange. I may actually change the eye colors on each wolf when I paint the others.

Repaint: Anubian Wolf, accurate color
I repainted his whole body a dark reddish brown and his nails and teeth in a light brown, then washed all of him in a really dark brown before adding the evil green eyes. The look I was going for: fear. This photo shows his truer color better than the other one.

Repaint: Anubian Wolf, focused detail
This photo shows more of his painted details in better focus, but the color is not quite as accurate to real life.

"Midnight Blue Mimring"

Repaint: Mimring, full view
First I mixed a special color dark blue and washed his scales and wings in silver to try to mimic the kind of metallic sheen that certain snake scales have. I wanted him to look a bit armored, so I painted the spikes down his back and tip of his tail silver and brought out the detail in the sculpt's forehead to make him appear to have metal forehead plates and a metal horn in the center of his head. All of the solid silver areas received the same brown wash as the horns to dirty it up a bit.

Repaint: Mimring, detailed facial view
I gave his face a lot better detail than it had, the inside of his mouth is painted the tongue color all around and up inside his mouth and his teeth color is only painted on his teeth (normal Mimring's interior mouth is all the teeth color). His tongue and horns are tinted differently than the normal Mimring. The forehead faceplate and metal horn shows well here, but perhaps the most striking thing about this repaint is his glowing green eyes!

I can say after this repaint that Mimring is by far the most difficult sculpt to paint. Every scale requires a lot of brush movement to get the paint in all those grooves!

"Early 90's Style Nakita Agents"

Repaint: ninthdoc's Nakita Agents
The original plain white sculpts were just screaming for some girl power. This squad has been my most extensive repaints to date. If you look closely at these 90's Nakitas versus the Nakitas you own, you will notice that each girl even has a different skin tone and hair color too. Not one square millimeter of these sculpts went untouched by a brush.

"Enhanced Sgt. Drake"
I just amped up what he already has going.

Repaint: Sgt. Drake Alexander
All of his bags and straps received a darker brown color for more realism and contrast. I also colored in his knee patches to make them look more like patches. Then I had to rewash all of this with the original wash color. His gun received a brighter gold and bronze, with the strap buckles turned into gold. His sword also has a gold hand guard and butt, and enhanced detailing on the red tassel. Every snap, button, and even his belt buckle is colored gold for ultimate realism.

"Bloody Ne-Gok-Sa"

Repaint: Ne-Gok-Sa
With the bloodier wash, Ne-Go-kSa's armor has more contrast in bright silver (plus it matches the guns of my Marro Warrior repaints.) I made that piece that sticks up behind his head as part of his metal armor; I think of it as his strong defense (6 dice) against vulnerable behind the neck attacks. I also drew the armor up his blade hand and extended the shoulder blade a bit to match the lines of the sculpt better.

"Bloody Marro Warriors with Alien Plasma Guns"
I think that all marros need a bloodier-looking wash, and this is particularly true of the usually bone white Marro Warriors.

Repaint: Marro Warriors, front
In addition to the bloody wash, each of my warriors received a new silver gun covered in green moss, and each gun is attached to custom-colored plasma-filled balls.

Repaint: Marro Warriors, back
Ever wonder what that odd-shaped area in between the arms and the guns was supposed to be? Now you can tell that it is obviously part of the plasma balls!

"Silver Washed Agents"
This set was my first attempt at custom repaints and I learned a lot from doing it, so future paint jobs will have better detailing.

Repaint: Krav Maga girl
Bright blond hair and a sleek silver washed black suit make this one kickin' agent fem!

Repaint: Krav Maga white guy
The blue collar work shirt with maroon tie, shiny silver belt, and silver washed black coat gives this guy futuristic style beyond the plain black and white of the slick MIB.

Repaint: Krav Maga black guy
This guy is major futuristic pimpin' style in a silver metallic coat with silver washed black pants and shoes.

Repaint: Krav Maga black guy, hair detail
Check out the pimpin' blond highlights!

Repaint: Agent Carr
All the metals were repainted with metallic paints. The sword was repainted with silver on top and gunmetal metallic on the bottom. The silver coat lining carries up into the lapel area for some sweet contrast detail. The pants are still black but actually washed in silver for yet another level of silver variation.

Repaint: Agent Carr, back side
note the solid silver coat lining and silver wash over black in the pants, and shoes still a solid black. Oh and did you ever notice he has a ponytail back there? The red coat provides enough contrast to actually notice it now.

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.

Last edited by funrun; April 16th, 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions