Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I've also proxied them using 3 of each Ashigaru and Kato. This seems to be the best way to use them as otherwise they're basically just fodder. Activating a guaranteed 8 units is pretty amazing though.
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart
When I first saw the Ashigaru out I was like man they suck I'd rather spend my money on earlier waves and other wave 7 but after reading this article I better get these guys (I also should probably get the wave 6 heroes). Kato I think is easily worth those 200 points especially if playing in a 600+ point game.
Here is a 600 pt. army
Kato 200
kaemon 120
rifle x2 120
spear x2 80
tagawa archers 65
Isamu 10

You wouldn't really use Isamu but what better to do with 15 extra points than the little red ninja. Other than that it is straight forward with all your markers on Kato Katsuro but make sure you just have clear sight you don't need to have it so many spaces just clear sight. So put him back and just take the battle to them first with your range dudes then bring in the spear dudes.
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:52 AM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
I've also proxied them using 3 of each Ashigaru and Kato. This seems to be the best way to use them as otherwise they're basically just fodder. Activating a guaranteed 8 units is pretty amazing though.
It seems to me that this is just another Blast/Glad combo, but much more expensive and limiting.
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM

DeadZa has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishBurrito
Quote:
It seems to me that this is just another Blast/Glad combo, but much more expensive and limiting.
It’s a bit hard to read the card and not all descriptions are perfectly clear. Does Kato fully activate the two squads or is it a limited movement and attack pseudo bonding like the Borgs you mention? I was under the impression its was full activation for 8 units. If not Kato, the Yari, and the Riflemen are all pretty awful actually.
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadZa
Quote:
Quote:
It’s a bit hard to read the card and not all descriptions are perfectly clear. Does Kato fully activate the two squads or is it a limited movement and attack pseudo bonding like the Borgs you mention? I was under the impression its was full activation for 8 units. If not Kato, the Yari, and the Riflemen are all pretty awful actually.
It is full activation. You get twice as many attacks as the Glad/Blast combo.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Free has disabled reputation
So when I get my hivelord in close & mindshackle him, what do I do with all those order markers sitting on his card?

Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats.
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:
The nice thing is that the Ashigaru themselves only cost 100 points for 1 set of each (unless you're talking about dollars here, but blasts are pretty rare.)

In 500 points and less, glads/blasts are cheaper points-wise when you count Kato. (500 for 3x Ashigaru+Kato v. 420 for 3x 'trons.)

However, I think the ability to activate either Tagawa, Kozuke, or Kaemon Awa as the situation requires helps all of those units a lot, and helps justify Kato's high cost. I think a big 800-1000 point battle will be one of the first things I do when my friends and I find Wave 8.

I agree that in the standard 24-hex-500-point battle, he'll leave something to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Kato Katsuro! The commander

Ressurecting one of the old Kato threads now that the card is official (front page if you haven't seen it yet).

I cringe at any card that is 200+ no matter how good, dust off the Ashigaru.

Is there a case for not taking all Samurai/Ashigaru when using him? For 200 points it would seem you should be able to use at least that many points when deciding to use other units insead of taking a turn with Kato (unless of course it's a hight point game).

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; May 5th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch View Post

Everybody who has ever played HS has faced this or a similar dilemma. That is where Kato gets his points worth. Assume that in my head I wanted to place the first order marker on Kaemon, but Kaemon has only one live left and something like Krug is nearby and it is pissed with multiple wounds already. If I placed the order marker on Kaemon and he gets killed by a pissed off Krug, that's it. I loose a turn. However, if I place all my order marker in a well protected Kato but within sight, I could still play that turn and move/attack with some other samurai(s) Ashigarus. That is something.
Unless of course you kill Kato first : ), or better yet, soul devour him.

I think he is pricey considering instead of Kato you could take an additional two or three samauri units. How many extra Ashigaru can you take for that price? I think his abilities are a great addition, but in a 400 point competitive game, it is hard to justify choosing him. I guess it's okay that he is relegated to very large armies. He's a general afterall, and the Samauri's weakness in large armies is that they have so many uniques that they are tricky to play.

The orcs will still kick their butts. You can't counterstrike Chomp!
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Ressurecting one of the old Kato threads now that the card is official (front page if you haven't seen it yet).

Is that because you usually only play 500 pt armies?

I love the 200+ figures because the point system insures that they are balanced against the weaker figures, and they make the game more interesting with their (usually great) powers. For instance, lava is only really threatening (outside of Erland) with Jotun in da house. (If given the choice, I wouldn't want to scape in a world without him.) They also make the game more interesting by allowing for options in army builds. Do you put half your eggs in one basket? Almost all your eggs in 2? Is it smart to build an army around one powerhouse? Is it smarter to use the powerhouse as a support unit for squads instead? Do you feel like being conservative or aggressive? Do you like potential game-breakers? These issues are all byproducts of having a 200+ figure, and they all serve to keep the game interesting, unpredictable and tense.

Kato is going to be great. I actually think using him and 3 packs of Ashigaru at a tournament would be a fun challenge. At home, with 700 or more points, he's going to rock the house.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa1 View Post
The orcs will still kick their butts. You can't counterstrike Chomp!
No, but you can Counter Strike every single other orc attack. Also, the standard is 500 points, not 400. So Kato still leaves you with 300 points of other samurai. Kato and 3x each Ashigaru, for example (which is why I bought 3 packs of them when I have only 2x of most other commons). 8 attacks a turn is definitely nothing to sneeze at.

Samurai will be super fun in large games, too (like 1000 points). Between Kato and HamTaro, who is tied for largest aura, you have a super commanding force.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post

Is that because you usually only play 500 pt armies?
Yep, and I prefer to max out the start zone as much as possible while also being competative. I guess I'm not an 'all eggs in one basket' type player.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion