Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 5th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Casual Play Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Avoid common squads as long as possible.

Except zombies.
I have found for tactical type players building bonding armies with maybe a clean up hero is also a good way to go and takes out worries about order markers. Picking dwarves orcs Romans can be fun and thematic but simple too.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 5th, 2017, 01:28 PM

raXas1516 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I have found for tactical type players building bonding armies with maybe a clean up hero is also a good way to go and takes out worries about order markers. Picking dwarves orcs Romans can be fun and thematic but simple too.
I second this, it's always been easy for me to teach the game to new players when they use simple bonding armies with only 1 suitable place to put order markers.
Old October 5th, 2017, 03:08 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I made about six or seven 500 points (can be modified to 440-450 points) armies for running at CinCityCon this weekend. Most of them are about 1/2 common squads, 1/2 heroes or unique squads (with a Dragon or other Large/Huge hero in each army), but there are some "easier" armies. I usually try to gauge people's experience and recommend armies but let them pick which of the pre-set army "looks cool" to them. Note, for army ideas see, @1Mmirg 's Mini-Mighties: Quick, Pre-Fab Armies (and my attempt at some C3V/SoV Mini Mighties)

Note, for a first game I always make the first round or two (or even entire game) no preset order markers. I do think it adds strategy to the game and want to teach it to newbies, but think it is too much for MOST new people to pickup when they are still learning rules. When I play them - I use order markers and have others place order markers after they use any hero or squad so they get used to it until they are comfortable. If I play a 4-player game usually 1 or two players will want to use it by the second or third round while another player will not use them the entire game - I leave it up to their own comfort level.

Now I need suggestions on some map ideas. If there were 3 maps that had to show off all of Heroscape, which three would it be (At least one of every master and terrain set should be in these 3 maps)?
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Avoid common squads as long as possible.

Except zombies.
I think this works too - all depends on your player demographic. Most of my friends haven't done much gaming before, so non-synergistic units were easier for them to play with.

If you do go the unique army route, I would recommend excluding the Airborne Elite from any armies. In my experience, their powers are very confusing to understand the first time through, so it's better just leaving them alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Now I need suggestions on some map ideas. If there were 3 maps that had to show off all of Heroscape, which three would it be (At least one of every master and terrain set should be in these 3 maps)?
Are you also looking for maps that are good for new players?
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:58 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Yes. Maps for new players but also shows off Heroscape maps both aesthetically as well as choices maps make people take.
Old October 6th, 2017, 01:55 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Yes. Maps for new players but also shows off Heroscape maps both aesthetically as well as choices maps make people take.
My favorite map for new players has to be Fulcrum by Dignan. I think it's an elegant looking and simple map, that still offers a lot of interesting strategic choices. There aren't many terrain rules to learn and there are no glyphs to worry about grabbing. The only downside with choosing Fulcrum is that you would have to find two more maps that use SotM, BftU, FotA, RttFF, TT, and VW.
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:44 PM

WarBeast knows what's in an order marker WarBeast knows what's in an order marker

In addition to all said, what I find works for newbies is No Rounds & No order markers. It makes the game go faster, giving newbies more turns, etc.... Also, stick to figures with only one ability that is a short read. Krav magna, syvarris, omni snipers, gorillinators, etc... Attention spans. Draw them to the game, then expand.....
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:39 PM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

Last weekend I introduced someone to the game, re-introduced it to someone who has only played it once a few years back, plus someone who I gave a Master set to but probably hasn't been able to play a whole ton either. I pre-built 4 armies, gave them the rundown on how they might generally be played and let them choose.

I don't think I've ever played proper Order Marker rules. I know you are supposed to place them one at a time, and I understand that there is strategy in using that information to place your second marker etc. but I keep it casual and just tell everyone to put them on all at once. The full rules are deeper than I need to go with the audience I play with.
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:45 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
Last weekend I introduced someone to the game, re-introduced it to someone who has only played it once a few years back, plus someone who I gave a Master set to but probably hasn't been able to play a whole ton either. I pre-built 4 armies, gave them the rundown on how they might generally be played and let them choose.

I don't think I've ever played proper Order Marker rules. I know you are supposed to place them one at a time, and I understand that there is strategy in using that information to place your second marker etc. but I keep it casual and just tell everyone to put them on all at once. The full rules are deeper than I need to go with the audience I play with.
Wow! I've never played one OM at a time. Is it a better, deeper enough game to be worth changing from blind placing of all OMs? Seems like it might be worth doing next time I Host . . .

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion