Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old April 12th, 2016, 09:37 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
For those here that like X-Wing, there's a game system coming out that is similar to X-Wing but with WWII tanks instead.
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catal.../s/gf9tanks01/

That was the base set, but there are expansions as well.

Like X-Wing, there are upgrades and heroes that you can have as crew. Seems point based like X-Wing as well.

Only downside is that you have to assemble the models and paint if you want, but it'scheaper than X-Wing.

Website http://tanks.gf9games.com/home.aspx
If my oldest son ever sees this I will probably be out a lot of money, even if we have to put the tanks together and paint them.
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgarath View Post
Quote:
For those here that like X-Wing, there's a game system coming out that is similar to X-Wing but with WWII tanks instead.
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catal.../s/gf9tanks01/

That was the base set, but there are expansions as well.

Like X-Wing, there are upgrades and heroes that you can have as crew. Seems point based like X-Wing as well.

Only downside is that you have to assemble the models and paint if you want, but it'scheaper than X-Wing.

Website http://tanks.gf9games.com/home.aspx
If my oldest son ever sees this I will probably be out a lot of money, even if we have to put the tanks together and paint them.
Sounds like some quality father and son time to me

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Did my first P500 for a GMT game and it just charged the credit card, which means it's about a month out from my doorstep. P500 is basically a pre-order system where sometime after getting 500 pre-orders in, they (GMT) will put the finishing touches on and then when it's ready for printing, they will then charge your card. So it can take months or over a year I suppose (as they do the same thing for reprints) before the game Makes the Cut and goes off to printing. GMT generally does smaller print runs, so if you don't do the P500, you risk having it sell out at OLGS or FLGS and then you have to wait for a reprint.

Anyway, the game I got is Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar, and it is my first COIN game. This is the 6th in the series, as Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, A Fire in the Lake, and Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection were the first 5. COIN stands for Counter Insurgency, and each of the games share the COIN system, but have other implementations to make each different based on the conflict they represents.

GMT page with other COIN games and a couple in the works.

Falling Sky page on GMT that has all kinds of links and resources, including the rules. Kind of neat how they have so much transparency and information available while the game is being developed.

This will definitely be the heaviest game I own. Will take quite awhile to get my head wrapped around the rules. Fortunately my buddy Brian has the first 5 games in the series and I can at least learn the core system while playing those. We were supposed to play Andean Abyss this weekend, but one of the other players couldn't make it. One thing about these games, is that they are so rich in history, that they give a great idea of different sides of conflicts and are very educational. In fact, there was a guy on BGG who is a teacher, and he has his gifted kids play A Fire in the Lake in class (it's the Vietnam COIN game). Seems like a cool thing to do.

Old April 13th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Did my first P500 for a GMT game and it just charged the credit card, which means it's about a month out from my doorstep. P500 is basically a pre-order system where sometime after getting 500 pre-orders in, they (GMT) will put the finishing touches on and then when it's ready for printing, they will then charge your card. So it can take months or over a year I suppose (as they do the same thing for reprints) before the game Makes the Cut and goes off to printing. GMT generally does smaller print runs, so if you don't do the P500, you risk having it sell out at OLGS or FLGS and then you have to wait for a reprint.

Anyway, the game I got is Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar, and it is my first COIN game. This is the 6th in the series, as Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, A Fire in the Lake, and Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection were the first 5. COIN stands for Counter Insurgency, and each of the games share the COIN system, but have other implementations to make each different based on the conflict they represents.
I've heard of the COIN system from various reviews, but I've never played it. I've also considered the P500 system due to some games I wanted to back (especially the solitaire Fields of Fire, which gets rave reviews, but I now realize I should bypass it due to its impenetrable complexity), but the huge lag time between placing the preorder and getting my card charged and receiving the game is (almost) worse than my experience with Kickstarter. My "when I want something, I want it now" disease really breaks into a nasty rash.

I'll be interested in hearing your take on the COIN system when you experience it.

On my end, I'm paying a visit to my nephews this weekend and might introduce them to Duel of Ages II.
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

Many of us Vietnam Era baby boomers won't play a game on the subject (I have; but I didn't serve). It will be interesting to see Ken Burns' next documentary on that subject!

The rules for The Great War: Tank Expansion are now up on the fan site www.commandsandcolors.net. Hopefully the scenarios will follow. Soon I'll be making up cardboard proxies for the tanks, terrain tiles, etc. That should take some of the sting out of my wait for a retail copy of this Kickstarted design.
Old April 13th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Quote:

I've heard of the COIN system from various reviews, but I've never played it. I've also considered the P500 system due to some games I wanted to back (especially the solitaire Fields of Fire, which gets rave reviews, but I now realize I should bypass it due to its impenetrable complexity), but the huge lag time between placing the preorder and getting my card charged and receiving the game is (almost) worse than my experience with Kickstarter. My "when I want something, I want it now" disease really breaks into a nasty rash.

I'll be interested in hearing your take on the COIN system when you experience it.

On my end, I'm paying a visit to my nephews this weekend and might introduce them to Duel of Ages II.
I hear you David regarding the lag time with P500. Though the difference from it and kickstarter is that you can drop your preorder if you want before they charge. Whereas with KS, once the funding period ends, you are charged and have to wait 9 months to a few years. With P500, if you preorder and change your mind after 6 months (before they charge prior to shipping), then you can cancel it. So that is a little better in a sense.

I think that COIN games are pretty complex but that depends on what people are used to. While they have similar core systems, each has a uniqueness that will be more ore less complex than another. I believe Cuba Libre is supposed to be the least complex, while A Fire in the Lake is on the higher end of the complex scale. I have been looking at the PDF rules for both Andean Abyss and Falling Sky to get some sense of them. Meaty, and will help when having the physical components. By all accounts, the games offer a rich experience, though long for sure.

Here's a nice video review of Andean Abyss, the 1st COIN game. https://boardgamegeek.com/video/2207...oaltion-killer
Haven't tried Duel of Ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

Many of us Vietnam Era baby boomers won't play a game on the subject (I have; but I didn't serve). It will be interesting to see Ken Burns' next documentary on that subject!

The rules for The Great War: Tank Expansion are now up on the fan site www.commandsandcolors.net. Hopefully the scenarios will follow. Soon I'll be making up cardboard proxies for the tanks, terrain tiles, etc. That should take some of the sting out of my wait for a retail copy of this Kickstarted design.
Chas,

I can understand Vietnam vets maybe not into Vietnam War games. I would imagine it could be similar with A Distant Plain and current vets, since it takes place in Afghanistan. Some people would also be uncomfortable playing on the side of the NVA or VC in A Fire in the Lake, or as the Taliban in A Distant Plain.

You'll likely get some tanks play before me, as there was a delay in my group's shipment, due to PSC having to stop shipping in order to address damage issues because of lose packaging and resulting in broken barrels. Also there was an issue of them being short some of the KS exclusive captured British tanks that were repainted to German colors/markings. We are supposed to each get 2 of them. That has been recently resolved and should be shipping from England soon.

Have fun in the meantime.

Last edited by Hahma; April 13th, 2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old April 13th, 2016, 03:05 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

https://www.facebook.com/events/667274456709496/

Anyone in the Midwest should definitely come to Austi-Con. There is going to be a Heroscape tourney besides lots of other gaming!
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:39 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

This morning's Kickstarter Update says shipping has begun today for US backers for Age of Conan Expansion: Adventures In Hyboria. Hooray! Its been a long, long, long, long wait. Now they can get to work on Expansion 2 (the original Expansion One for 5-6 players, envisioned back when the game first came out years ago).

If you back it, they will come...some day!

I've finished downloading the brand new rules for The Great War Tank Expansion from the fan site and making cardboard proxies for the tanks, terrain, and markers (using photos from the fan site download to PNP). I'll borrow the rivers ("waterways") from Memoir 44. Just give me the first scenario please, and I'll be off and playing, until the day when they send a retail copy across The Big Pond! They've also fixed the German mortar figure, which I requested in my review on bgg.

Meanwhile, I'm playing C&C Ancients Scenario X games. Also an 1854 Crimean War fan scenario Balaclava using C&C Napoleonic rules (the Turks are Spanish pieces and rules). I'm also trying the CCN Eggmuhl scenarios (Austrian Expansion) as a mini campaign, now using the retrofitted Tactic Card Deck from Expansion #4. Good times!

TaeblewalkerScape is coming up next Wed. here using the C3G Odin's Challenge scenario. Check out the NYCG4 thread in the General Discussion section onsite for our adventures, as usual.
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Prickly Cactus

@chas

Looking forward to hearing what you think about Tanks. Some on BGG think Tanks are a bit overpowered and hard to take out.

Old April 14th, 2016, 06:08 PM

"After all, what are we--barbarians?"
--Jack Palance, old razor blade commercial

"Hoo-Ah!"
Robert De Niro, Scent of a Woman

"I'll give you ten points for that!"
--The alien Jiltosh, Shingu (the anime)

Now hear this! The Age of Conan Expansion: Adventures In Hyboria has arrived in Brooklyn, New York. As far as I can tell from boardgamegeek, I'm the very first to report its receipt on planet Earth.
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 14th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Well since Andean Abyss is a no go for this weekend, due to scheduling for someone, looks like I'm going to learn Star Wars Rebellion tomorrow night. I get to play on the side of the glorious Empire because my buddy Brian is a Rebel terrorist scum and prefers to be eradicated.

Should be a fun learning game for both of us.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games