Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 2nd, 2023, 07:41 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Just to clarify something regarding chas' upcoming Switcheroo scenario: you can only take one common squad time, right (i.e. if I'm playing three squads of Phantom Knights, an opponent cannot take all three squads in a single switch? You probably wouldn't play three squads of Phantom Knights because the hex limit is really tight, but that's slightly besides the point)?

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old September 3rd, 2023, 05:13 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Good quesion. Yes, only one at a time. So both players would have to pass that card back and forth if necessary, if more than one player was now operating the same type of squad. I've added this to the scenario above.

This is in fact one of the reasons for the half size hex limit, at least for this first play of the scenario. It is the same as K.'s recent scenario, although the point total has been raised. In his case, it was more to put the emphasis on heroes rather than squads.

Last edited by chas; September 3rd, 2023 at 05:30 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 09:36 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

chas, have you considered my question concerning the Ebon Armor and what happens to figures on cards when their card is switched?

Old September 3rd, 2023, 12:26 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Here's the question:

What happens with Ebon Armor or Skeletons of Annellintia when figures are on other army cards if the card is switched? --Kolakoski

Are you asking about the original card of these characters being switched, or the card they were placed on being switched? Both situations need an answer.

There are a number of other cards that place figures on other army cards also, from the oldest original ROTV Viking Heroes to the newest Age Of Annihilation Bug Empress Heirlings, which we've been playing with already here. I'm still thinking this over. While it could require a different answer for each card, for now a simpler generic one would be more useful.

So for now I'd say:

A) If the original cards are switched, their figures remain on the other cards they were previously placed on. Any benefits accruing would go to the new owners. (Cards considered defeated already themselves such as the Viking Heroes could not be switched, being out of the game).

B) If the card that has figures placed on it is switched, the new owner has the option of leaving the figures on the card or removing such figures from the card when it transfers ownership. Figures removed are now considered defeated (killed).

This ruling has now been added to the scenario above.

However, I'm open to discussion on this question. Any opinions?

Interestingly, I just got my first Skeletons of Annilinta figures from K., and happen to be considering a first use of them right now, because I've never used them before--although not necessarily for this scenario. This is one of the very few if not the only card I have never played, of the 400 Classic and Custom cards currently extant. I enjoy trying out every card at least once, and we use proxies pretty freely around here! I also have all of them printed out and ready for anyone to try if they come here to play.

Last edited by chas; September 3rd, 2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old September 5th, 2023, 01:34 PM

Mystery Map selected for the scenario from one of our fine site designers, whose work we've never used before! 15 Hexes x 12 with varied terrain. Like K.'s last map, its small due to the same 12 hex start limit for armies.

Usually I mention the types of terrain on a map if I'm not revealing it before game time. I started doing this when I was free building and no plans were available (I don't do photos). But in this case, while its nicely balanced, I wouldn't want similar armies showing up as a "terrain solution" to the most common type.

Since I know that map as a player, I make sure not to take advantage of that pregame knowledge when building my armies.

Last edited by chas; September 7th, 2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old September 7th, 2023, 09:21 AM

Note that Post #1700 just a bit Upthread has been modified in minor ways for answers to questions, etc., and will remain the final version of the Switcheroo scenario.

I've also now noted that all player switches are voluntary, but a player who passed a Switch in the SIR order as rolled will not get another chance to make one that round.
Old September 7th, 2023, 10:03 AM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

chas, if I have 3 squads of WoA and someone takes a squad, how do you determine which 3 figures I lose?

Old September 7th, 2023, 11:49 AM

Now that's a really interesting and important question, and I'll be thinking about an answer. Thanks for bringing it up ahead of time! Actually, K. and I had a whole phone conversation about it, and I've got some ideas...

Okay, as now noted in the scenario, the Taking Player choses which squad figures to take, and notes them with markers colored by player. If a previously lost figure is being added to an incomplete Squad not up to full strength, it may appear adjacent to a figure of the new owner, but not adjacent to an enemy figure (as defined at that moment). Also, only one squad of figures can be Switched during the same SIR round from the same card.

Since the Special Initiative Roll is followed by a regular Initiative Roll, the Taking Player does not know at the time of his switching in which order figures will be activated in the upcoming round.

Last edited by chas; September 7th, 2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old September 7th, 2023, 01:09 PM

Well met!

Just received these figures:

Old September 7th, 2023, 02:02 PM

Great; the rest of us can use them as proxies even before K. designs customs for them. They'll be here soon, if anyone else wants to use them--K. of course has first dibs, since he bought them.

The first guy could be a Ninga, a Space Ninja, an Undead Ninja, or an Undead Space Mummy Ninja!

The last guy reminds me of a game reviewer on BGG called Undead Viking.
Old September 8th, 2023, 12:47 AM

Well met!

No $&@¥ing way will I field my second army with two squads of 10th Reg. Not only do I lose a full squad, but I do so even if I am left with a partial one.

Sorry chas, but your solutions discourage the use of Ebon Armor and the better common squads. Perhaps even unique squads.

Old September 8th, 2023, 04:31 AM

I think it makes the game more interesting. After all, a switched squad could be reswitched, or even grabbed back by the original owner, at a later Switch Phase. Except for the last one, after which there are only two rounds left after it is done.

I don't see that this would be much different from having heroes of comparable point cost which can be switched in your army. Switching remains both strategic and chaotic, but not necessarily permanent.

I'd think the 12 hex start zone limits the use of squads in any event.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Last edited by chas; September 8th, 2023 at 04:50 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion