Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

View Poll Results: Which unit is better?
Capt. John Varan 7 63.64%
Myrddin 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 22nd, 2019, 12:07 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #70 Capt. John Varan vs Myrddin

I ask that you don't use this format without permission to preserve the quality of the Unit Debates and avoid confusion.

Welcome to the first debate of VC Customs (C3V & SoV).

This Unit Debate was selected by @lefton4ya .

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefulness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

7. Best in Dungeon Crawl

NOTE: Debates can now acknowledge the existence and affect of VC Customs (C3V & SoV) on the units
Old April 22nd, 2019, 03:18 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Unit Debate #70 Capt. John Varan vs Myrddin

Now here’s an interesting debacle. Both of these units use wounds in some way or another to aid their allies, making them psuedo cheerleaders, as well as having a special attack. Although my initial instinct is to vote for Myrddin since his Special Attack is always good, and the flexibility of Mystic Sacrifice is nice, I should think quite a bit more about the good Soldier.

1. Stats/Specials
I somewhat brought this up already, but I think it bears noting that Johnny can shoot his gun off several times, but it isn’t very strong at all. It could be used as a means to get him moving really far on the map or even hop onto Kelda to end his running and gunning but still healing him. Ironically, it seems like his Special Attack isn’t good for attacking. A normal attack of 3 over range 6 isn’t particularly dangerous, but you probably won’t use it anyways. Purple Heart is his strongest ability, because he can save the much stronger Airborne Elite from dying. Since the AE are more expensive anyways, I’d think it better to even have John eat big hits too, since he really can’t throw down dice like them anyways.

Myrrdin has an extra click of health but loses a click of defense compared to Varan. You’ll never use his normal attack outside of rare scenarios, but his special attack is better than Varan’s anyway, except that it can’t gain height. Mystic Sacrifice is quite niche, but many Hero D20 powers are extremely powerful and worth burning the wounds. It also works at range, meaning there is less OM requirements for Myrddin. He’s also Valiant, so a tiny hair more points for 4th Mass builds.

Functionally, they work the same. But I’ll give the win to John Varan. An extra defense, Airborne Elite booster, and massive mobility once he’s damaged beats a unit who’s qualities are all over the place and not always triggerable.

2. Playability
Myrddin can be played in a wider variety of armies, so I’ll give him the point.

3. Overall Usefulness
Varan is mostly useful as an alternate Raelin, and sometimes useful when he’s damaged. Myrddin’s splash damage attack is basically always useful to some extent, which his Mystic Sacrifice being sometimes useful. I’ll give it to Varan, because his Cheerleading power can save much stronger figures.

4. Head to head
Multiple attacks and higher defense give Varan the edge.

5. Army Builds
Myrddin is a swiss wizard knife who can fit in a variety of builds, but not always for “good” armies. Jandar Humans are strong: Airborne Elite, Knights, and 4th Mass. The 4th Mass don’t benefit as much from losing Valiant Defense though. I’ll give this to John Varan.

6. Strategic Use
I mentioned earlier that Varan can use his massive mobility (once damaged) to do things like grab glyphs. Myrddin has to wait for a good d20 roll to use his effect, which isn’t really strategic. Varan.

7. Dungeoning
Myrddin can profit from Ana/Kelda’s healing by charging it by 1. Varan can save his buddies, but once he goes down you’ll either need to lose the Potion or start him off with damages from Second Winds (depending on which format you are playing). Varan can shoot his gun off a lot, but loses the value of his movement since splitting heroes up too much is generally death for them. Myrddin can zap clusters of enemies in narrow passages, which can be useful in a scenario a time or two. I’ll pass it to Varan.

Winner: Capt John Varan!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 03:40 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Capt. Varan is such a unique design, there's nothing else in the game quite like him. That makes him feel pretty special. Purple Heart and Battle Valor work together so well. I've seen him tear through enemy squads after soaking up some wounds for his allies. Varan is also an essential element to Pathfinder builds, though he can work on his own or with the Airborne Elite too.

Myrddin's Call Lightning is nothing we haven't seen before. But Mystic Sacrifice is a very neat power. It makes him a great companion to figures with strong d20 powers like Deadeye Dan or Ne-Gok-Sa, though keeping Myrddin nearby is sometimes tricky. Myrddin works pretty much in any army, but getting the most out of him is more difficult.

Capt. Varan wins this round easily.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 04:35 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Capt. Varan is named after @GreyOwl . Myrddin's not. Landslide victory.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 24th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

CJV > Myrrdin

CJV's a solid unit. His Purple Heart gives the AE extra lives which is significant since, basically, the AE are very strong figures but die easily. And after saving AE, you get an opportunity (or two) to have a potentially big suicide SA turn. 3 wounds means 9 move and 4 means 12, which can position him to be a small wrench thrown into your opponent's setup (also cool that you can gain wounds, or moves/attacks from disengages during his Battle Valor run). Useful that he can take hits for the Pathfinders if needed, too, and there's a bunch of other Jandar humans he works with too as a bonus. But really, his main use and power is partnering with the AE. Having more than 4 AE is sick, and then getting in a Power Valor finale solidifies him as a good unit. Worth the 80pt. even if you just revive a couple AE, because AE are that strong, and I think in most cases you'll get more out of him than that.

Myrddin's okay. Not bad but I think he's pretty average. Kinda doesn't know what he wants to be - offense attacker or support - and I think the two get in the way of each other rather than it being (or feeling) beneficial for variety, and you can't really play around much with his 2 defense and tendency to lower his life himself He's decent with the 4th, but I don't see myself taking him over 10pt.-cheaper Concan. Although I must say I do like Hydra/Sonlen/Kelda/Myrddin as an army, you can do a lot of fun stuff with that. Maybe a better Runa/Sudema type figure wll come out in the future.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units