Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Notices

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
City Scape board building ideas

I'd like to start an open discussion on the scale of C3G. With so many different toy and model lines creating city related structures and objects, many C3Gers want to know what they can get to spice up their games. I'm hoping this thread can become a 1 stop shop for gamers to find usable items for their games.

So anyone that has come across some interesting items you feel may be in an appropriate scale, please take pictures of your items in a C3G game context and share them here. Let us know where you found the item, how much it cost, and how you intend to make use of it in your games. Then other C3Gers that like what you have found can go an buy that item with confidence knowing it will be a good fit. When standing in the toy aisle with no heroscape figure in hand to compare an item in it's packaging too, it can be hard to judge what would be a good fit. Also feel free to share any items you bought thinking that it would be a good fit only to get home and discover it was 'off' just a bit too much. That will save some of us from making the same mistake.

First thing we need to acknowledge is that their is no perfect scale. That is because Heroclix, from which we get most of our minis, has never maintained a consistent scale themselves. Take a look at the pic below of 4 human figures.

As you can see Nick Fury is shorter and has skinnier legs and arms than Mocking Bird, which is not an accurate scale to each other at all. Furthermore the Hawkeye figure down on one knee still has his head at the same level as Nick Furys' shoulder. Which means if he were to stand up he would tower over Nick like some kind of freakish Dum Dum Dugan giant sized man. When the parent company has not maintained any level of quality control for the scale of their toy line, it makes it difficult to match up the scale to other toy lines. With that being said, these are the universal scale designations that I have found to best fit with the figures and terrain we already have.

Model Trains: O gauge
Wargame Minis: 28mm and 30mm
Model Cars: 1:43, 1:48, & 1:50 scale
Boats & Doll House: 1:48 or 'Quarter' scale

Last edited by Yodaking; July 5th, 2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: A Discussion on Scale in C3G

I picked up this 1:43 scale truck and trailer combo at Walmart last night for just $6. The package does not clearly express the scale anywhere but when it gets rung up it is described as 1:43 scale on the receipt.

Here you can see it out of the package and featured on the BoM map, Under the El. The truck can be positioned such that it covers 3 hexes in a row with minimal overhang. The trailer with the rear ramp up covers an additional 3 hexes in a row, for a total length of 6 hexes.

Here is a better look at the trailer. You can lower the ramp and cover up an additional hex if you so choose. As you can see you also do not have to keep the truck and trailer combo in a straight line. Here I have them going around a turn. You may have to adjust your trailers positioning during a game if parked close to other objects and trying to place a larger based figure in the space adj. to the trailers wheels and a curb or building.

The motorcycle can be removed from the trailer with the use of a small Phillips head screwdriver. It also has a movable kickstand on one side that will help you keep it standing up on it's own. I should also mention that their were other truck and trailer options which had different stuff on the trailer. I just went with the motorcycle carrying one but you can see if their is a different one you like better.

Last edited by Yodaking; November 10th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:11 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Cool idea, Yoda! That truck looks nigh-perfect for HS scale, really awesome find.

Fortunately, 'Clix has gotten better at scaling in the last bunch of sets. Some of the older ones were pretty awful, but for the most part, they're now pretty close. There are always exceptions, but while playing, it's pretty hard to notice slightly bigger or smaller figures.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:11 PM
C3G Landlord

I also bought a 1:43 scale semi truck and trailer a few weeks back at Walmart. I don't recall the exact price but I obviously thought it was reasonable at the time. It is a bit wider then the truck so even though it can still be placed over a single row of hexes, the overhang is much larger. Even so I managed to place it such that a figure could be placed on the hex space to either side, it was just a bit of a tight fit.

The semi cab alone can be positioned to cover up 5 hexes in a straight line. In addition to the side overhand, it will overhand front and back slightly as well.

Because of the tight fit, I did play around with it a bit and had it covering a 2 hex wide space as well. How you choose to place it on your game board would really be up to you.

The trailer has it's own fold down stand such that you can place it on the game board without the cab if you so choose. Here I have it running underneath the EL so you can build an overpass pretty easily if you wanted to. I used some shadow hex tiles to lay out where the hexes on top would appear so you can create your own Matrix fight scene.

I would not recommend adding permanent hexes to the top of the trailer as you will want to position it slightly differently some times. How the hexes are covered up will change when you add or remove the cab to the trailer, or if you were to have the cab turned at a different angle then the trailer.

The trailer itself covers 6 hexes in a straight line. Although the wheels only cover up 1 or 2 hexes depending on how you position it. Then the fold down stand may either be blocking up a hex or positioned on the space between two hexes. This will leave 4-5 hexes that should be considered as 'open' for small and medium figures to move through. Human sized figures should have no problem ducking or rolling under a stationary trailer. I unfortunately did not get a good picture of this feature but you will see what I mean if you ever get one for yourself.

Here you have the cab & trailer together and turning as it travels down the road. The full semi covers 10 hexes in total length when in a straight line with just 3 'open' hexes under the trailer. In the position shown I have 7 shadow hexes on the top as once you start arranging the truck in a position outside of a straight line the truck ends up being positioned over the hexes differently. You can see the front and rear shadow hex is hanging over the edge now so the trailer top really contains 5 full hexes and 2 half hexes.

Here I have the two 1:43 scale vehicles I own side by side on an open road, along with Shockwave standing about. Once again it is a tight fit but you can place still place figures in between the two vehicles even with the slight overhang created by them. You may also notice that a single spaced figure can sit right in the back of the pickup truck for a playable hex location. I should also mention that the rear doors of the semi trailer open up so that you could hide some figures inside of it should you want to create a scenario in which some melee attackers jump out part way through the battle for an ambush attack.

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM
C3G Landlord

The other item I recently picked up is a CAT construction vehicle toy. I found this line of toys at Target and they had maybe 5 or 6 different types of construction vehicles you could get. Each one was $6 and the scale of the toys is not clear to me but they appear to be in the right range.

Here it is out of the package. With this one, you can lift the bucket up out of the way if you want and then the tracks only cover up a 4 hex area.

Alternately you can lower the bucket down to cover up an adj. 5th hex of your choice. Since the cab spins fully around on the tracks you really have a lot of freedom of movement when positioning this toy.

Now here is a pic of my newest construction vehicle next to the dump truck I picked up earlier this summer at ToysRus. You can see that the CAT vehicle is a slightly smaller scale, but really construction vehicles come in many different sizes in the real world so they actually still work okay together. I do with I had found these CAT vehicles first though as I would have preferred to just have a CAT dump truck now.

Now just one last pic showing how the scale of the CAT vehicle, the pickup truck, and Shockwave match up with a 3 story building created by Grish.

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Shockwave! Nice to see someone else getting TFs!

Very cool scaling comparisons, Yodaking!
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:03 AM

beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker

My dad collects O gauge trains so I've fooled with the idea of putting track and trains down on a superscape map. I think some Ogauge flat cars, box cars, etc. would make for a very cool playing field.

Also, Plasticville makes O gauge layout accessories like this one:

I think they are pretty close - maybe a tad small.

Trades

WoW customs - I'd love to get some awesome looking WoW minis on my Heroscape maps. Please lend me your expert advice.

My travel blog
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
C3G Landlord

I'd love to see someone who had a bunch of O gauge trains stuff to set up a rail yard map. I just don't have any myself and it would require a significant investment on my part to buy up all the tracks and train cars.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'm a little confused what this thread is for. Is it for discussing scale in C3G, cool things that look in scale, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:10 PM
C3G Landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I'm a little confused what this thread is for. Is it for discussing scale in C3G, cool things that look in scale, or what?
Where to find usable items from other companies that are in scale for C3G. Anyone can post their finds so then others can buy those items themselves if they like what they see. It is just nice to be able to see some of this stuff out of it's package, already on a game board, and next to some C3G minis.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
C3G Campaign Manager

Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm hoping this thread is the right place for this question:

streaky has a design for Doc Savage right now. I came across this miniature from Chronoscope named Pulp Hero. It is clearly Doc Savage... but is the scale right for C3G?

Does anyone have any experience with Chronoscope and can provide more information about them?

P.S. This line also has miniatures for other older interesting characters (though not all are necessarily right for this projet): The Shadow, Tarzan, Alan Quartermain, Indiana Jones, Jack The Ripper, James Bond, Jack Ryan, Doc Holliday, Buffalo Bill Cody, Sherlock Holmes & Watson, Zorro, Red Riding Hood & The Big Bad Wolf, The Invisible Man, Van Helsing, Santa Claus, The Wolf Man, Capt. Nemo, Blackbeard, Dave King (King of The Royal Mounted) and many others.

Last edited by Skeeter700; November 11th, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
C3G Landlord

I don't own any figures from that line so I looked it up quick and that line says it is a 25mm scale system. The Warhammer & WH40K systems are 28mm scale and those are pretty good for the most part. I believe the D&D minis line that Wizards of the Coast used recasts sculpts from for the D1-D3 waves is a 30mm scale system.

I'd be worried that a human figure would be slightly out of scale then, while any creatures or monsters from that line may still be a good fit. They do have some pretty sweet looking minis though so if anyone has some actual size comparison pictures I'd love to see them. Also, just in case you did not know, those minis are supplied unpainted so you will have to paint them yourself.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy