Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Marro Drudge

Problem: The Stingers do everything they can do, but better. The fast strike capability of theirs only works once, since that effectively is the turn they die. In addition, most swamp isn't on height, so their opponents almost always have height against them. Even if next to the jungle, not only can the Stingers get the jungle bonus too without having to almost always be on the lowest level of the map, the Drudge also have a measly range of FIVE. Sure, the Stingers also boast the same range, but at least the Stingers are good ANYWHERE, not just Swamp Water. Tunneling away from that jungle tree means that unless you're playing on a field absolutely full of them, you aren't exactly likely to pop up to another. The fact that you can only tunnel to a Swamp Water Tile on your current level limits their power.
And, judging by the opponent's line-up, Drudge beat WoA by default since their ranged. Unfortunately, a lot of other ranged units can also live up to that claim, and the WoA can engage them the next turn (assuming they didn't die already... which I assume was the case in your game). As for the rest, Sonlen dies to repeated attacks (though he's the only one out of that lot that surprises me that you killed), Saylind is a melee unit with no way whatsoever to counter the Drudge, never mind that she's a mediocre unit already, and Morsbane is ALSO melee and ALSO has no way to counter the Drudge. I'd say it was just the opponent's army.
However, no matter what the case, owning someone with the Drudge must be dang immoralizing to the opponent. Props to you for killing someone with them.

Bloody the Marro Stinger is the Chimeran Ravager in the....
KEEP OF THE NECRONOMICON
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They definitely have value as a screen on maps where they can move far forward from their start zone. Suppose you've moved Q9 out on your first turn of the game. If you moved up WoA on your 2 marker, you could get them about even with him. Rats? You could get a little ahead. Neither would be able to attack that turn unless Cyprien or Sujoah or someone was in your face already. But the drudge could be much more efficient. With low cost and that move 5, tunnel 5, shoot 5 threat radius, they can get far ahead of Q9 and probably then attack. The drudge suck when played like the Microcorps or Stingers; they are not a "main gun" unit to be protected by Raelin or a screen. They are the screen! Run out there, engage, and make trouble!

The drudge welcome Wave 8 with open arms. That 3 attack against height is going to inflict meaningful losses among MarCav, Spiders, 10th Foot, and wolves, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syvarris0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumb Dwarf View Post
I do have a question for the number crunchers though.

Since water (and swamp water) often seem to be banked, at what times is it beneficial to give your opponent hight advantage for the bonus.

What I mean is at what attack and defense do you get an advantage out of it, and at what point does the question statistically become irrelevant.

DD
I did some research on that today and it turns out that the lower the defense the less you need swamp water.I have a hypothesis that if the target figure has < or = to 2 that you wont need the swamp water and would be better off without it.
Any time you give the enemy +1 defense and give yourself +1 attack in return, it's going to improve your average damage. I'd rather attack 3 dice with 3 dice than 2 with 2.

Last edited by rdhight; June 26th, 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: mistakes.
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I pointed this out in another thread:

I had Kato perched and commanding. My opponent came out of her starting zone, moved the Drudge, tunnelled under a huge chunk of terrain, and put two wounds on my Kato out-the-gate. Yech.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Slayer Dragonwing is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I don't understand why Drudges get such a bad rep. They've always held up well for me when I've played them and my friends who I play against have never had really bad luck with them either.

Sure they're best if they can get first strike but with an effective range of 15 and the ability to pop up from behind terrain they can be lethal! I've seen them take out both units and heroes with little trouble.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Zelrig is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle View Post
I pointed this out in another thread:

I had Kato perched and commanding. My opponent came out of her starting zone, moved the Drudge, tunnelled under a huge chunk of terrain, and put two wounds on my Kato out-the-gate. Yech.
That is a great idea, you could use them as some fast moving assasins who can easily get behind enemy lines and damage expensive support figs.
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

From my understanding, the main perceived shortfall of the Drudge, even when they do manage to get their swamp water bonus, is that they are surrendering an automatic defense dice bonus to the opponent's figures (for height).

Another perceived drawback of the Drudge is the fact that, unlike almost every other unit in the game, the Drudge are just as good (stats-wise, irrespective of opponent's height bonuses) in swamp water (on lower levels) as they are on height. In other words, they will typically be 3/3 attack and defense in swamp water or even when they obtain height advantage. This latter point is trivial, but it does have a bearing on people's willingness to field the drudge if they consider that the maximum attack they can achieve is 3 (no glyphs or taelord, etc.).

Now to the point...

People's perceptions of weakness aside, the greatest tactical advantage of the Drudge is their effective threat range of 15 (with swampwater). The Drudge are great for taking the first shot, which can be crucial at times. This type of mobility also introduces some interesting strategic options that enable the Drudge to adapt to an opponent's order marker placement (to avoid return fire) or to tie up key figures in an opponent's army, thereby defending your own key figures.

When I play the Drudge, I often explicitly refer to them as my "suicide/sacrificial squad". For me, they are doing their job when they rush out and bring the fight to my opponent in his/her starting zone, dying soon after. This type of aggressive tactic means that you are dictating the flow and course of the game, by seizing the initiative and altering the opponent's preferred order of attack target acquisition (i.e. the Drudge may not be offensive/defensive monsters, but their threat is immediate and left unchecked they can be very dangerous).

Three attacks of 3 make the Drudge great Raelin assassins. Time and time again I have used these guys to kill my opponent's carefully positioned, sleeping Raelin. Two squads of Drudge come to 100 points for 6 units. In other words, they are easy to fit into an army when you need a specific answer to your opponent's draft choices. However, I sometimes go against the common (no pun intended) wisdom when I have 50 points left and need a sacrificial unit to deal with one of my opponent's well-protected cheerleaders (i.e. Raelin) or as an ad hoc way of dealing with more troublesome units (e.g. tying down an approaching Sgt. Drake (SotM) ).

If you don't know how to (or havent) used the Drudge, then build yourself a map with some swamp water (it helps if you build it so that there are at least 3 adjacent pieces of swamp). If you can threaten an opponent's start zone in one turn with the Drudge, then try this tactic on for size. If your opponent isn't expecting a first round Drudge assault and demonstrates this by splitting his/her order markers amongst his/her non-ranged figures (we roll d20 to see who places first...), then devoting all of your first round order markers to the Drudge can enable you to hit your opponent hard by killing crucial support figures or fragile squad members. Don't sweat your Drudge dying in the beginning of round 2 (or late round 1), just be content that they have majorly disrupted your opponent's strategy and that your opponent will now have to spend part of the next round cleaning up the Drudge while you place maybe order marker 1 on them and strategically maneuvre your other figures.

The Drudge are usually a viable draft option when I play, because I tend to build maps that contain swamp water (SotM was my first set).

Hopefully, this summary of how I feel the Drudge can be employed optimally, will inspire others to field these terrain-specific sacrificial assassins to positve effect in their future draft-based games.

Last edited by mccombju; October 13th, 2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualahorn View Post
Can the drudge use their powers on regular water spaces?
I would guess not. The reason I asked this is because units that say "When on a water tile, you may do x" can also use their special powers on swamp water.
You are correct, you cannot use their powers on regular water spaces.

The water that the Drudge's card is referring to must be both "swamp" and "water" in order to fulfill the conditions necessary for the bonus to take effect.

Swamp water is a special type of terrain that behaves differently than normal water spaces. Figures move normally over and through swamp water, wheras they must stop their movement in water. Likewise, normal water enables figures to avoid falling damage, whereas swamp water does not confer this benefit. I hope this helps.

Last edited by mccombju; October 13th, 2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I know that these guys pale in comparison to the Stingers and Warriors, but hey, who doesn't in terms of cheap ranged squads? I would like to know if anyone has used these guys to sneak past the Q9/Krav blockade in the notorious Raelin/Krav/Q9 combo? I mean, you could move them as close as possible, and then tunnel past Q9 and the Krav!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They can be effective that way but then there is also another problem. Unless you tunnel from height so that you have height and swamp strength so you can hurt Raelin and have good defense, you will be killed quickly when the Krav or Q9 turns around and lays waste. These guys are just Wound Blockers, there the fodder for the cannon. They are only good in huge games, and I mean huge because they can be used as skirmishers to tie up opponents at minor choke points.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." ~Albert Einstein

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like them on swamp heavy boards for their tunneling ablility. It lets you move them out and into position pretty quickly.
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I think the Drudge are another unit that people are considering for the wrong reasons. If you're gonna use these guys, you shouldn't be counting on Tunneling and the +1/+1 bonus for swamp water. What you should be counting on is that you can field more of these units for the price than any other ranged unit in the game (except Arrow Gruts, but they never come alone). The Mass and 10th cost slightly more per piece and get another attack per turn marker, so they're usually the better pick, but the fact remains that the Drudge are the cheapest ranged unit in the game that isn't reliant on other units.

I've had some success with Krav/Raelin/Drudge x6 against some strong armies, including Minions and Cyprien. That many ranged units can really be a pain for your opponent. Add in Swamp Water and Tunneling on the right map, and they can work very well. This is one of the next units I want to take to a tournament, after Sonlen.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Looking at the Hasbro scenario The Return of the Exiled Defenders, I noticed the setup rule about the player(s) in the fortress not being able to start figures on swamp water spaces. I wonder what would happen if the player(s) outside the fortress had some Marro Drudge and got initiative on round 1. Hmm...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units