Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Notices

Old April 13th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun
C3G Playtesting Strategies, Builds and Tips Thread

This thread will be for collecting strategies and tips for playtesting (I mean, really, what did you expect from the title?). We have other threads on strategy, but this one will focus more on playtesting and will hopefully be a good resource. I'm hoping to get tips from our experienced playtesters and strategies and builds from the competitive players. Maybe some Heroes can even chime in with what they like to see from a playtest sheet. I'll collect things here in the OP, whether in spoilers or links to posts. I'll start things off with some of my tips, but what are your suggestions?

Thematic Testing

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"

Last edited by TrollBrute; July 20th, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:19 PM

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: C3G Playtesting Strategies, Builds and Tips Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Personally, I would love to have a list of the 'strongest competitive builds' for future playtesting.
That way I can theory-scape out if a new figure would enhance them further and test it if need be.
Also if something new can defeat a strong build, there may be an issue.
I think it's often less "X + Y + Z" and more "X type + Y type + Z type". I tend to have more favorite units or types of units than actual builds, I just combine units to get the build or points I need for that test.

For example: if I test a unit that can boost attacks, I test it with units that have multiple attacks, as you'll get the most when played with those units. Depending on the type of boost, Range is often easier to boost as well as generally stronger. So I would test this unit with Cable or Deadpool. If the power adds to the dice you're rolling, it's good to test them with a unit like Merlyn whose Deadly Shot gets much more powerful the more dice you're rolling.

Units that can carry are a big one, as they allow you to facilitate pods much easier. John Stewart is my favorite for pods, but Hawkeye (II) is really nice if it's just one figure you want to give a speed boost to. Carriers are also great for defensive and passive units that you want to get into the battle, but who don't give you a lot of firepower on their activation. This way you can move someone around without feeling like you've wasted an OM.

Another big thing to look for when testing is overlap with similar powers. Bizarro, for example, is good on his own, but becomes downright nasty when played in combination with Jocasta or Valkyrie. Some of the strongest builds come from overlaying units like these with someone like Mastermind, who can force your opponent to come to you, and War Machine, who punishes them when they do move close. With one of these builds, you can turn a powerful but fragile offensive unit into a powerhouse.

Last edited by TrollBrute; July 17th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Auto-wounding powers are one of the nicest counters to defensive powers out there. Don't leave home without one. Especially if it doesn't require clear sight to work.

Interesting thread. I'm hoping the much more competitive players than I will chime in here!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 13th, 2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Auto-wounding powers are one of the nicest counters to defensive powers out there. Don't leave home without one. Especially if it doesn't require clear sight to work.
Great for competitive builds, sure, but not always great for playtesting against, at least not in every army. In testing, it's important to make sure that units aren't countered in every army they face, or you'll get uneven results that give you an undercosted unit.

Now autowounders are often fragile and swingy, so playing one with a defensive build is a great option!

Old April 13th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!

I typically look for the obvious synergies and boosting and counters and then try to find other unobvious ones too.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karat View Post
I typically look for the obvious synergies and boosting and counters and then try to find other unobvious ones too.
That's what I did in my playtesting for C3V. It's important to play with any intended synergies that are explicitly listed on the card. Otherwise, you're going to have an underpriced unit.

Old April 13th, 2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
That's what I did in my playtesting for C3V. It's important to play with any intended synergies that are explicitly listed on the card. Otherwise, you're going to have an underpriced unit.
Right, factional synergies are one of the first things that need testing. My intent with this thread is to illustrate some of the less obvious boosts and hopefully act as a resource for playtesters looking for synergies they may have overlooked.

Old April 13th, 2014, 08:33 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollBrute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Right, factional synergies are one of the first things that need testing. My intent with this thread is to illustrate some of the less obvious boosts and hopefully act as a resource for playtesters looking for synergies they may have overlooked.
Or counters, like drafting Rachiem (from C3V found here: Rachiem) against a lava resistant figure. It's best to try and price them based on how well they can do, not how badly they are.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:00 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thought I'd Chime In

This is for C3V as I have only playtested one C3G unit all the way back at the beginning. (first Superman card) I try to break the unit. I try to build the best armies I can think of for the unit and then play it against other really good armies especially armies that it could do quite well against and then go from there. It's a lot harder to do this in C3G because of all the power interactions but it's an interesting thought.

Now when I'm designing armies to play for Superhero League battles, I try and cram together a bunch of powers that make life annoying. This is things like intangibility, autowounding, movement powers, occasional order marker shenanigans, and generally anything that just causes life to be annoying. I'm sure Heroscaper Guy remembers how frustrating Joker and Ozymandias were especially when there were about five other guys keeping him from attacking them (Bizarro, Dr. Light, Weather Wizard, Cosmic Boy, Ragdoll). Hope that helps.

~Dysole, lurker of the C3G forums
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:02 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Thought I'd Chime In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
This is for C3V as I have only playtested one C3G unit all the way back at the beginning. (first Superman card) I try to break the unit. I try to build the best armies I can think of for the unit and then play it against other really good armies especially armies that it could do quite well against and then go from there. It's a lot harder to do this in C3G because of all the power interactions but it's an interesting thought.

Now when I'm designing armies to play for Superhero League battles, I try and cram together a bunch of powers that make life annoying. This is things like intangibility, autowounding, movement powers, occasional order marker shenanigans, and generally anything that just causes life to be annoying. I'm sure Heroscaper Guy remembers how frustrating Joker and Ozymandias were especially when there were about five other guys keeping him from attacking them (Bizarro, Dr. Light, Weather Wizard, Cosmic Boy, Ragdoll). Hope that helps.

~Dysole, lurker of the C3G forums
Yes, they were very annoying. Losing OM's, and not being able to fix that since Ozymandis has Stealth Dodge.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:27 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollBrute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Personally, I would love to have a list of the 'strongest competitive builds' for future playtesting.
That way I can theory-scape out if a new figure would enhance them further and test it if need be.
Also if something new can defeat a strong build, there may be an issue.
I think it's often less "X + Y + Z" and more "X type + Y type + Z type". I end to have more favorite units or types of units than actual builds, I just combine units to get the build or points I need for that test.

For example: if I test a unit that can boost attacks, I test it with units that have multiple attacks, as you'll get the mot when played with those units. Depending on the type of boost, Range is often easier to boost as well as generally stronger. So I would test this unit with Cable or Deadpool. If the power adds to the dice you're rolling, it's good to test them with a unit like Merlyn whose Deadly Shot gets much more powerful the more dice you're rolling.

Units that can carry are a big one, as they allow you to facilitate pods much easier. John Stewart is my favorite for pods, but Hawkeye (II) is really nice if it's just one figure you want to give a speed boost to. Carriers are also great for defensive and passive units that you want to get into the battle, but who don't give you a lot of firepower on their activation. This way you can move someone around without feeling like you've wasted an OM.

Another big thing to look for when testing is overlap with similar powers. Bizarro, for example, is good on his own, but becomes downright nasty when played in combination with Jocasta or Valkyrie. Some of the strongest builds come from overlaying units like these with someone like Mastermind, who can force your opponent to come to you, and War Machine, who punishes them when they do move close. With one of these builds, you can turn a powerful but fragile offensive unit into a powerhouse.
Where is this John Stewart?

The Gang of Four has introduced me to Supers recently, most notably with chas' Infinity Gauntlet (
The Infinity Gauntlet and Tig #2: The March Of Conquest) series of scenarios. I built the following army for chas to practice using his Thanos army against in the latter scenario.

360 M.O.D.O.K
240 Hydra Agents x 3
220 Red Skull
210 Baron Von Strucker
170 Baron Zemo (Heinrich)
160 Scientist Supreme
140 Madame Hydra

A number of interlocking and backup synergies at work here.

An early draft of my own for this scenario, with its own interlocking synergies:

320 Sentinal x 2
240 Lady Deathstrike
220 X23
200 Armin Zola
180 Mad Thinker
170 Forge
170 Hand Ninjas x 2

Last edited by kolakoski; April 24th, 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:32 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

John Stewart!

Cards are MIA at the moment, but the SP still has the text.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy