Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Closed Thread

Old March 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: What Exactly is "Balanced"

Sun Wukong, I don't know how good you are at beating live people in Heroscape, but you can crush straw men.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM
has been BANNED

Sun Wukong costs too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Wukong View Post
Without the thrill of crushing, (Tournament) Heroscape becomes pushing plastic men and rolling plastic cubes for hours with total strangers. In other words, a total waste of time.
Seriously? Don't come to my tournaments.

Sheesh.

I never thought I'd say that to somebody.

But I only want people who are there to have fun. I'd rather have Devil's Advocate; at least he'd have fun arguing about stupid stuff.

If you're only there to lurk in the shadows until it's time to sit down, unpack your dice, and do your Duk Koo Kim (In 1982 wrote "Kill or be killed" on the hotel room wall, went into the ring with boxer Ray Mancini and got beaten to a pulp, at one point getting punched 39 (maybe?) times in a row, bout never stopped; died 4 days later without regaining consciousness, interesting story) impression, no thanks.

You wouldn't fit in.
BINGO!!!

And, though you probably don't realize it, it's a compliment. I wouldn't want or try to fit in. If I did go to one of your tournaments, you wouldn't even know it, because I'd put on a shy (so I could stand off until game time and not listen to the inane stories and stale humour) and affable false persona and then hand you yours on a silver platter if we played.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:29 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Sun Wukong, I don't know how good you are at beating live people in Heroscape, but you can crush straw men.
I've been playing (crushing in) Heroscape since 2006. Some day maybe you'll find out.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Umm, what?

Is it nearing the end of the 6 month long night where you are in Canada or something now?

Have I ever given you the impression that I, personally, care remotely if you or anyone here can beat me?

You don't have to play to have fun, Sun Wukong, but the rest of us do. Hell, even Devil's Advocate does, even though I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut (heh, that doesn't buy as good odds as it used to...) that he wouldn't admit it.

It's ok. You do your thing, the rest of us will do ours.

Take care.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Umm, what?

Is it nearing the end of the 6 month long night where you are in Canada or something now?

Have I ever given you the impression that I, personally, care remotely if you or anyone here can beat me?

You don't have to play to have fun, Sun Wukong, but the rest of us do. Hell, even Devil's Advocate does, even though I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut (heh, that doesn't buy as good odds as it used to...) that he wouldn't admit it.

It's ok. You do your thing, the rest of us will do ours.

Take care.
You still don't get it. Crushing is fun!!!
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Without the thrill of crushing, (Tournament) Heroscape becomes pushing plastic men and rolling plastic cubes for hours with total strangers. In other words, a total waste of time.
Seriously? Don't come to my tournaments.

Sheesh.

I never thought I'd say that to somebody.

But I only want people who are there to have fun. I'd rather have Devil's Advocate; at least he'd have fun arguing about stupid stuff.

If you're only there to lurk in the shadows until it's time to sit down, unpack your dice, and do your Duk Koo Kim (In 1982 wrote "Kill or be killed" on the hotel room wall, went into the ring with boxer Ray Mancini and got beaten to a pulp, at one point getting punched 39 (maybe?) times in a row, bout never stopped; died 4 days later without regaining consciousness, interesting story) impression, no thanks.

You wouldn't fit in.
BINGO!!!

And, though you probably don't realize it, it's a compliment. I wouldn't want or try to fit in. If I did go to one of your tournaments, you wouldn't even know it, because I'd put on a shy (so I could stand off until game time and not listen to the inane stories and stale humour) and affable false persona and then hand you yours on a silver platter if we played.
If you so dislike the social aspects of what is a fairly social game, why play it? I would think that online gaming would be better for you. You wouldn't have to interact with other people or "put on a shy".
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:41 PM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff View Post
As heroscape players I think we all realize that we are playing for our enjoyment and for the enjoyment of our opponent. The social contract we have with our opponents has a large role in army selection.
Hmm, I might have to amend my theorem to make room for sadists.

I still maintain the Heroscape was designed and balanced as a social game. However it is an extremely flexible system, which has been fantastic for those who use the terrain in other game systems, enjoy competitive play or create custom dungeon crawls using core scape mechanics. One of the consequences of the game being flexible enough to support competitive play is having opponents that may not value the same social contract.

I think most TDs put an emphasis on sportsmanship, which is great, and keeps Heroscape close to its social roots even in a competitive environment.

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:52 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
If you so dislike the social aspects of what is a fairly social game, why play it? I would think that online gaming would be better for you. You wouldn't have to interact with other people or "put on a shy".
Why are you under the impression that Heroscape is a social game? Do you consider Chess a social game? A social game is something like Charades.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Quote:
Why are you under the impression that Heroscape is a social game? Do you consider Chess a social game? A social game is something like Charades.
I guess that it comes down to the definition of what a "social game" is. At competitive levels, people don't tend to interact wile playing chess so I would say that it isn't a social game at a highly competitive level. Even at the most competitive levels, poker tends to be a social game. In my experience, even competitive HeroScape games tend to be social. Of course, I haven't played you or Sun Wukong. Maybe playing you wouldn't be a social game.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Quote:

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Gaming is a social activity, you interact with people therefore it is social. I think some people would be just better off playing video games so they don't have to interact with real humans. Perhaps they are just such a-holes that no one likes them to begin with or their lack of social skills makes winning the only thing worthwhile. All I know is that if you can't have fun playing whether you win or lose at a game perhaps you need to reevaluate your priorities.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM

cavebehr has disabled reputation

WOW!!

I am not the authority on games, but I have played just a few. (G.B.of W.R.)

All games seem to be set in, around, about, and for some type of social.

Go back to the games at the arena, it was all about the social for everyone. The social drinkers, the social spectators, the social gamblers, the social climbers, all of society.

The gladiators in the games received the least and possibly the most. Win you may gain status of a near roman in society, lose you will probably die.

So go ahead be the gladiator, win big, CRUSH, if thats what you need to feel something, but never underestimate the power of being social, and what it can do for you, even if you are just there to watch.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion