Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:39 PM

Darkmeer is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
"Tabletop" Scape

So, I have been thinking about 'scape and using its basic rules for a less hex-based game and making it more for a "true tabletop skirmish game" which leads me to this.
My general idea is to use the same general rules for height, perhaps modifying or even making my own "ruler" for heights to show differences, along with other special rules.

First among them is size. I have been working through some ideas and I realized, in my ridiculous mini collection, I have a LOT of different bases. I mean a LOT, everything from a 15mm base all the way up to a 60 mm base (or seven). I also noticed that the... motorcycle bases by a certain British Games company are of similar size to the Heroscape peanut bases, which leads me to some silly ideas when modifying for a tabletop.
This is what I'm working through right now for sizes. I think the general HS rules work really well for any tabletop gaming, but I want to have more variety.
Here is the full size breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

The part that I want to bring in from other systems is the 3, 4, and 5-inch AoE effects, as well as sprays, which could be a lot of fun at the skirmish level. I also want to give myself a better reason to have all the figures I have. Wanna have real grenades? Sure, AoE 3. Fireball, small rocket? Sure, AoE 4. Something unpleasant for everyone? AOE 5!
Terrain could be a lot of fun, but the forums here have a wealth of knowledge on that type of thing, along with recent events over at miniature market having some very reasonably costed terrain for both modern, old west, and medieval themes.

I'm thinking of this as a mixture of 'scape, other games I love (such as Warmachine), and a way to bring many figures together from a lot of different companies to have a bit of fun.

I should note that the sizes thing should not be construed to penalize anyone. Use the base size you are comfortable with. Frankly, I don't believe anyone should (or would) care if your small based guys are on the standard HS 30mm bases. It doesn't matter to me nor should it to you. You want square bases? Go for it! Rounded squares (see litco): Sure! I am open to playing with whatever base you'd like. I just want to have fun pushing little monsters and men across a tabletop and not worry about the setting they're "built for."

Now, onto the additional abilities, if using a spray or line attack (thinking dragons mostly).
Sprays come in two categories: a line or a spray. The spray uses the spray template from Warmachine and can be up to 10 inches long. Lines are 1 inch wide, and between 6 and 12 inches long (traditional D&D dragons' lines are 12 inches long, dependent on the creature).

AoE markers: 3, 4, and 5-inch AOE markers, which I'll use leatherworking rings and the Warmachine template. Missed AoE's will not cause damage. I'm trying to be simplified, so, if you miss you miss everything.
If the AoE hits the intended target, a secondary damage effect for "half the target's dice, rounded down". I.E. Primary damage is 4 dice, secondary is two dice. AoE's should always be even numbers to make this easy to calculate. AoE's are 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 dice. 10 dice is REALLY powerful, and should be reserved for heavy artillery/strong spells (or highly concentrated versions of both).
This version allows a more open 'scape. It also allows the use of the original terrain as well as additional terrain from other companies with no conversion needed.

"These people are my family, not just my friends. If you wanna get to them, you have to go through ME!"
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:41 PM

Darkmeer is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: "Tabletop" Scape

Next I tackled "Range." Range is simpler than I thought at first, but then I realized I love my Warmachine widget, so I'm using that. Range 1 is any creature in traditional melee, and these models should be within 1/2 inch of one another. Range 2 is up to two inches away, with each additional "range" being an additional inch.

Now, onto figuring out that pesky idea of bringing multiple companies together without breaking anything too much nor wasting figures!

Here's how I have it figured:
Squad "Rarities" and maximum numbers of each:
Common: 5 squads
Uncommon: 3 squads
Rare: 2 squads
Elite/Unique: 1 squad.

Heroes:
Common: 3 Heroes
Uncommon: 2 Heroes
Rare: 1 Hero
Elite/Unique: 1 Hero.

Squad Number of members:
5: Maximum squad size, this should add at least a point or two when calculating the unit's cost.
4: Large HS squad size, this may be a worth a point or two in the uncommon and rare categories.
3: Moderate HS squad size: Honestly this should be considered the baseline, and I think this should be no penalty or bonus in cost.
2: Small squad. This will be your rare and uniqe squads, and thus should have no penalty. I may recommend 2-3 wounds as a baseline for small squads' members.

"These people are my family, not just my friends. If you wanna get to them, you have to go through ME!"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions