Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 26th, 2024, 11:45 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

I haven't really been paying attention to your playtesting plans, but I'd like to echo Shiftrex, here. Especially if you're looking to pass a unit through the SoV process, you're going to want to focus your testing efforts to the most common (competitive) formats, which are usually 2-player, 500-point games. If you need inspiration, I gravitate towards ~500 points worth of romans/redcoats, Feylund goblins, Laglor/Russians pods, or Dreadguls as opposing armies when playtesting my own customs, as they provide fairly varied set of match ups and game states while being straightforward enough that I can play both sides of the table if I don't have a playtesting partner available.

Anyway: unit critiques!

This version of Rieka looks fun, but it encounters the same "single [Hero]" problem as the one you last posted to the Pre-SoV workshop because you've removed all of her major synergies with existing units. She can't bond with anything, she can't buff other units with her special powers, and she has no Species-, Class-, or Personality-based interactions besides letting the Ebon Armor replace her with a destroyed squaddie. If you plan to resubmit this design, you should be prepared to face the same resistance as before.

I would suggest clarifying that Mark of the Raven only affects Unique Heroes. Technically, you could place a Raven Marker on any figure you wound, regardless of uniquity or Hero/Squad classification, but Unique Heroes are the only type of unit that has more than 1 Life, so the Raven Marker would just go straight back to Ravenwolf if he hits something else.

It seems like you're happier with Ravenwolf tonight than you were when you asked for my opinions, and I don't really want to be the guy who barges into your thread and tries to make you drastically revise your unit, but if you still think he's missing something, I'll leave you with my rough idea. All the existing Rogues are really frail once you overcome their mobility or defensive powers, and the faction has few cheerleaders. In contrast, this guy looks like a confident leader-type wearing heavier armor than his fellow Rogues, so you could replace one of his first two powers with something that either helps nearby Rogues live longer or helps Ravenwolf, himself, engage tougher foes and survive to draw attention away from other Rogues. As a side effect, you'd also emphasize the interesting choice for an opponent of attacking Ravenwolf and allowing him to activate Grit, or ignoring him and trying to play around the hindrances he might create.
Old February 27th, 2024, 11:05 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Thanks @Shiftrex, @Blue Trails , for your comments. March's game is admittedly not the most efficient playtest; it's the Gang's monthly game. chas in particular is looking forward to this scenario "as is." In spite of this, I'm certain that we'll be able to learn quite a bit from it.

As to the rest of Blue Trails' critique:

Reinstated Rieka the Wolf's Rogue-ness. Note that wrigzz said, in effect, that he'd like never to see another Rogue or other bonding hero SoV candidate, which was why I eliminated any Bonding options in the first place. Lowered her price to 105.

Mark of the Raven has been revised as suggested.

Raised Ravenwolf's stats to those he had when first created (identical to his brother in arms, Martial La Hire), and dropped Iconic Fighter. Added Ravenshield. Raised his price to 125. Expect to hear that he should be nerfed .

As revised, I believe both customs bring something unique to the table. Here's hoping the various objections we anticipate can be overcome.

See Post #452 for responsive revisions.

Last edited by kolakoski; February 27th, 2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old February 27th, 2024, 11:09 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just a quick note that of the three days we did playtesting last week, two were only Kolakoski and me doing 2 Player matches.
Old February 28th, 2024, 09:43 AM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Replaced all Rieka the Wolf's powers with the following:

WHIRLING SLASH SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3.
Rieka the Wolf may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. Roll each attack separately. Defending figures subtract 1 from their defense dice for each skull rolled with Whirling Slash Special Attack.

STEALTH LEAP
Instead of her normal move, Rieka the Wolf may Stealth Leap. Stealth Leap has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Rieka the Wolf's leaping movement, ignore elevations. Rieka the Wolf may leap over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and leap over obstacles such as ruins. Rieka the Wolf may not leap more than 12 levels up or down in a single leap. If Rieka the Wolf is engaged when she starts to leap, she does not take any leaving engagement attacks.

CORNERED
If Rieka the Wolf has only 1 Life remaining or is the last figure remaining in your army, and an opponent’s figure moves adjacent to Rieka the Wolf, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the opponent’s figure receives a wound. Figures may only be targeted as they move into engagement with Rieka the Wolf.

Combined Whirlwind Assault and the Varkaanan Quickblades' Lightning Slash Special Attack to create Whirling Slash Special Attack. Cornered is a modification of Arkmer's Engagement Strike 13.

Last edited by kolakoski; February 28th, 2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old February 28th, 2024, 03:42 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Replaced all Rieka the Wolf's powers with the following:

WHIRLING SLASH SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3.
Rieka the Wolf may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. Roll each attack separately. Defending figures subtract 1 from their defense dice for each skull rolled with Whirling Slash Special Attack.

STEALTH LEAP
Instead of her normal move, Rieka the Wolf may Stealth Leap. Stealth Leap has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Rieka the Wolf's leaping movement, ignore elevations. Rieka the Wolf may leap over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and leap over obstacles such as ruins. Rieka the Wolf may not leap more than 12 levels up or down in a single leap. If Rieka the Wolf is engaged when she starts to leap, she does not take any leaving engagement attacks.

CORNERED
If Rieka the Wolf has only 1 Life remaining or is the last figure remaining in your army, and an opponent’s figure moves adjacent to Rieka the Wolf, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the opponent’s figure receives a wound. Figures may only be targeted as they move into engagement with Rieka the Wolf.

Combined Whirlwind Assault and the Varkaanan Quickblades' Lightning Slash Special Attack to create Whirling Slash Special Attack. Cornered is a modification of Arkmer's Engagement Strike 13.
It was all a mistake , except for Stealth Leap. See Post #452, above.

P.S.: Have long had it in mind to modify Lightning Slash Special Attack for a hero, but this is not the place due to both the original Cornered and Mark of the Raven. Rieka the Wolf is now very clean. We'll see how she plays . . .

Last edited by kolakoski; February 28th, 2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old February 28th, 2024, 10:10 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Good.
Old February 29th, 2024, 05:00 PM

Well met!

PM'd a bit with Dad_Scaper. For a limited time only, changes in red can be found here.

P.S.: I did a little comparison shopping, and decided that more needed to be done to flesh out Rieka the Wolf's uniqueness, and compared her to the Monk heroes. As a result, I lowered her cost even as I made her a bit stronger by blending Blood Frenzy into her Whirlwind Assault to create the latest power to bear the sobriquet Go for the Throat. Returned Cornered to its original, simpler form.

Also decided to increase Ravenwolf's cost. There are no close comparisons to him. He is way too unique in how his powers synergize. The Rogues are not a strong faction as they stand. Ravenwolf changes the picture completely. I set out to create a well rounded fighter. I ended up creating a well rounded leader. I am looking forward eagerly to see how he plays.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 1st, 2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old March 1st, 2024, 08:09 PM

Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner - Ravenwolf

Well met!

I have not had the urge to modify Ravenwolf for some time now. I believe this is a sign that he is perfect as is (for the reasons stated in previous posts). I also believe that Rieka the Wolf, Captain Xue, or any other Rogue, cannot be completed until Ravenwolf's final form is determined. Although I had hoped to present 2 or 3 units at the same time, I'm thinking that I'll fast track Ravenwolf (to the extent that it is within my power) towards SoV candidacy. As I don't believe Ravenwolf will change before our March 13th game, I'm posting him here:

Valeros, Human Fighter
Pathfinder's Iconic Heroes Evolved

RAVENWOLF
General: Ullar
Race: Human
Uniqueness: Unique Hero
Class: Rogue
Personality: Disciplined
Size: Medium 5
Life: 4
Move: 5
Range: 7
Attack: 4
Defense: 4

MARK OF THE RAVEN
Place two black Raven markers on Ravenwolf's card. If Ravenwolf wounds an enemy Unique Hero with her attack, place a Raven marker from this card onto that figure's card. The same target can receive up to two markers. The defending Unique Hero rolls one less defense die for each marker on its card when attacked by a normal attack. If the defending Unique Hero is defeated, return the marker(s) to Ravenwolf's card.

GRIT
When Ravenwolf attacks, he may attack one additional time for every two wound markers on this Army Card.

RAVENSHIELD
All Rogues you control adjacent to Ravenwolf add 1 die to their defense.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 6th, 2024 at 08:53 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 05:04 PM

Well met!

Since Renegade 'Scape is not significantly different from Haslab's, we can resume work on Captain Xue.

Old March 5th, 2024, 09:50 PM

Well met!

Inspired by the existence of Renegade's Raelin the Kyrie Warrior:

Serpentfolk Hunter
Pathfinder Battles Set:
Jungle of Despair

KOMURA
General: Ullar
Race: Serpentfolk
Uniqueness: Unique Hero
Class: Rogue
Personality: Tricky
Size: Medium 5
Life: 4
Move: 6
Range: 7
Attack: 3
Defense: 3

WYVERN RIDER
If Komura is unengaged and adjacent to a Wyvern you control, instead of moving Komura normally, you may move that Wyvern 7 spaces. After moving that Wyvern, place Komura adjacent to that Wyvern. Komura may then attack normally.

SIGHTED IN
If Komura attacks and rolls at least 2 skulls, he may attack 1 additional time.

POISON WEAPONS
Each time Komura attacks a small, medium, or large Hero with a normal attack or a leaving engagement attack and inflicts at least 1 wound, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-11, nothing happens. If you roll a 12 or higher, add 1 additional wound to the defending figure.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 6th, 2024 at 09:02 AM.
Old March 5th, 2024, 11:50 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like that serpent folk a lot. I haven't taken a lot of time to think about the rammifcations of the powers in balance yet but, the concept is really fun ^^ I hope you work on that one and carry it through. It is a complete crime that some of our units are the only rep of their species (like Kha).
Old March 6th, 2024, 09:20 AM

Well met!

A couple of final tweaks:

A real bow, like a real pistol, has a Range of 7 when wielded by a hero. Thus, Ravenwolf and now Komura have Range 7.

Ravenwolf's Life has been reduced to 4, and his price to 125. Grit can no longer give him 3 attacks.

I think we're set. All 4 customs will appear in armies on game day.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards