Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old March 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Pre-Release Preferences

I'd like to know everyone's feelings about receiving info on a new release before it comes out. Do you like getting info beforehand, or would you rather wait until you have it in hand? What kind of things do you prefer seeing before the release comes out, Figure pics, Cards, Concept Art, Descriptions? Do you enjoy huge releases of information like what's been at GenCon in the past (cards and figures), or do you like getting just a tad here and there to keep you interested without giving away too much (like the marro concept art)?

I personally am always a few months behind in getting the new stuff, because we don't usually order online and it takes a loong time to get out to where I'm at (I've still never seen Wave 7 in our area. Thank goodness for vacations), so there's no surprise for me when I finally do get it. As such, I don't mind if WotC were to throw all the info at us, cards and figures. However, I do like it a little more paced. Every month or so a couple new tidbits to keep the excitement up. The cards are always good to read, but as pre-release info, they really leave nothing to the imagination. I think the sculptures are really good as a pre-release, because it lets us know what we are getting, without knowing exactly what it does. I also really enjoyed the Concept Art we got a while back.

My thought, most waves have at least 10 Units (normally 2 Squads x3 + at least 4 Heroes), so WotC should release a little something every couple of weeks until release day. Starting now, 10 Units with something coming out every two weeks, that's 20 weeks, that's five months, that's August and hopefully the release date is before then. I wouldn't mind knowing absolutely nothing about a couple of units, but it's been really dry around here and previews would certainly help keep things alive.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Pre-Release Preferences

I think getting the info little by little is best, because as you pointed out, you can start receiving it early. New previews are always exciting.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yes.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

The way truth was allowed to do it with Wave 8 I think was perfect. We got a real tease with the WoB early, then a few weeks later he started posting a new card every few days right up until the release date.

Some say they would prefer the surprise of seeing everything the day it is released. Me, I prefer to get a little at a time, absorb it, and discuss the heck out of it in the preceding weeks/days before the actual release. All at once for me would be stimulation overload, trying to read and understand everything all at once.

-insert signature here-
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM

jsilvrs is surprisingly tart

I'm with nyys. I like the way Wave 8 was done. I like a little peek at one unit, discuss unit, and wait for the next unit. I like the slow build up to the release. It helps pass the time until the release.

I also like getting a look at the sculpt first and then the card shown a week or so later. That way we get some time to make our best predictions on what the card may hold.

Great Traders: Huggable Zombie
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I know I'm in the minority, but I love the information overload. I think we can generate the low-level excitement of a single card release ourselves: a new BoV map, a strategy guide, a massive unit knockout competition, a tournament announcement...

The only way to get that overwhelmed-with-scapey-goodness feeling is, I think, with the release of a whole wave's worth of stats in one go. I'd vote for that at the expense of more frequent but lower level excitement.

If some sort of prerelease information is to be issued, I'd rather it was a photo of all of the sculpts but without any stats, maybe a few weeks before the release date. Lots of time for wild speculation without it dragging on.

That said, I'm happy with pretty much any model that ends with us with a new wave in our hands. If someone were to offer me a briefcaseload of cash, I wouldn't be quibbling over the colour of the briefcase.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Yeah, but Ollie, if they give it to us all at once, they should probably wait until just before the release. If they give it to us one unit at a time, they can start, say, next week and still have new interesting stuff for us when it actually comes out.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Yeah, but Ollie, if they give it to us all at once, they should probably wait until just before the release. If they give it to us one unit at a time, they can start, say, next week and still have new interesting stuff for us when it actually comes out.
Not "just before" release---at release. I want 'scapers waiting for their housemouse orders and posting stats and card scans and photos as they come in. No official "release of information" at all, just what we find as we collectively tear the boosters open.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
That said, I'm happy with pretty much any model that ends with us with a new wave in our hands. If someone were to offer me a briefcaseload of cash, I wouldn't be quibbling over the colour of the briefcase.
I don't know, not sure I would accept a yellow brief case.

-insert signature here-
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
I don't know, not sure I would accept a yellow brief case.
I guess it depends on how much cash is in it!
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Not "just before" release---at release. I want 'scapers waiting for their housemouse orders and posting stats and card scans and photos as they come in. No official "release of information" at all, just what we find as we collectively tear the boosters open.
Yeah okay, I understand that if you're among the first to get it, but like I said, I'm usually a couple months behind. I'm still going to learn about everything before I get it anyways, so it doesn't matter.

I actually really enjoy the step-by-step revelation of everything, where there's enough to get the conversations going without having so long in between stuff that we end up with a fifty page thread of rampant, relatively unsupported speculation about a sculpt or concept art.

Jugger

Old March 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah okay, I understand that if you're among the first to get it, but like I said, I'm usually a couple months behind. I'm still going to learn about everything before I get it anyways, so it doesn't matter.

I actually really enjoy the step-by-step revelation of everything, where there's enough to get the conversations going without having so long in between stuff that we end up with a fifty page thread of rampant, relatively unsupported speculation about a sculpt or concept art.
Even if I wasn't among the first (and I wasn't for Wave 7---that was the GenCon '07 one, right?) I enjoyed checking in at this site watching the information pour in all in one big glob more than the steady dripfeed of Wave 8 information.

But as I said, I'm aware I'm in the minority and it really isn't a big deal either way---I just want the wave to come out.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion