Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Barbell Hero's Avatar
Barbell Hero Barbell Hero is offline
 
Join Date: August 1, 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 212
Barbell Hero Woo who?
Check out my new army!

I fielded this army a few times and just destroyed all kinds of stuff. Can you see the big nasty combo, and why it works so well?

500-point version
Venoc Warlord
Acolarh
Deathwalker 7000
Armoc Vipers x2 (Optional: Venoc Vipers x3 plus Isamu)
Theracus

600-point version
Venoc Warlord
Acolarh
Deathwalker 7000
Aubrien Archers x3
Theracus
Kyntela Gwyn
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Jexik's Avatar
Jexik Jexik is offline
Et tu, Jaxet?
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Location: IL - Elgin
Posts: 6,986
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 30
Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Acolarh+DW7K+Theracus+Mittens for the 11 flying out of the starting zone+ explosion power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Tiberius's Avatar
Tiberius Tiberius is offline
Which Team Am I On?...
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: PA - Pittsburgh (Monaca)
Posts: 4,777
Tiberius has disabled reputation
That is fine but after turn marker one, you are out of tricks. There just isnt enough synergy with the troops, as in I wouldnt use Acolarh for just his speed enhancement, you dont have any elves. Mittens isnt helping anyone frenzy though you did take some guys that bond with him so that is a positive thing. What role does the DW7000 play in the group? That is 100 points I would rather spend on syvarris or EOV or two sets of vipers. Your 600 point build looks much better though I would still lose the deathwalker for a competitive army. There are much better anti-range and glyph holders out there.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Aldin's Avatar
Aldin Aldin is offline
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder
 
Join Date: September 22, 2006
Location: TN - Nashville
Posts: 13,537
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 4
Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Kinda fun, why not try a version with Ornak and Brunak that lets you actually explode in their face on the first turn?

~Aldin, agreeing about the non-competitive nature of this speed on steroids army

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Dredd Stev's Avatar
Dredd Stev Dredd Stev is offline
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy
 
Join Date: February 22, 2007
Location: * Canada - St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,685
Blog Entries: 4
Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
There are much better anti-range and glyph holders out there.
MUCH better? I'm going to have to disagree; for 100 (or less)DW7K is probably the single best glyph holder in the game... maybe second behind roborats x2. Even then they have troubles with special attacks.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Jexik's Avatar
Jexik Jexik is offline
Et tu, Jaxet?
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Location: IL - Elgin
Posts: 6,986
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 30
Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
I've seen Marcu Esenwein (20) and Sir Gilbert (105) hold glyphs pretty darn well, but I agree that DW7K is probably pretty good at it. I want to try out Zettian Guards that way some time, but I don't have the cojones. Knights of Weston probably work better than Deathreavers in a 4th. Mass army. Bonding squads are exceptionally good at recovering glyphs because if the hero kills the man on the glyph, the squad can then take it back on the same order marker. Having Grimnak chomp a Deathreaver and then send a blade/heavy grut onto the glyph is one of my favorite technical plays in all of Heroscape.

Deathreavers are so good at it because they don't even need order markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Barbell Hero's Avatar
Barbell Hero Barbell Hero is offline
 
Join Date: August 1, 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 212
Barbell Hero Woo who?
Well, the point of this army is being tricky, not just opening up the game with flying 7k in, while your opponent just moves to intercept it. I agree the 500-point version is sub-par, but I think the 600-point version is really hot.

7k's role in this army is either A) blowing up 6 figures in the starting zone, or B) drawing fire from your archers. If your opponent ignores your archers, he gets, well, arched. If he ignores 7k, you close in, pick off weaklings, and explode if things get sticky. It's a great distraction. You can just fly him close and leave him there for a while as you rip holes in the other side with the hero-boosted elf battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Kinda fun, why not try a version with Ornak and Brunak that lets you actually explode in their face on the first turn?

~Aldin, agreeing about the non-competitive nature of this speed on steroids army
Well...2 activations of Theracus is 20 hexes, with 6 hexes from 7k on turn 3 for the big wham-o at a possible distance of 26 hexes. 2 activations of Brunak only gets you 12 hexes plus the 6 from 7k on turn 3; not nearly as good with 18.

Are you saying you can activate Brunak twice with Ornak's ability? Even if you can do that (which is GOOD TO KNOW!!), you're still only moving 18+6=24 hexes, and you have to worry about height. Theracus gets you there with 2 hexes to spare, and with flying to boot.

I used this army 3 times and won 2 games. I was fighting a tough army; Krav, Q9, and Raelin made things very difficult. But due to sigh-cological warfare I pulled it off.

The first game was a total landslide in my favor. In round 1 I scrambled my archers toward the right side of the map as if I were rushing over with them. Then in round 2 I flew 20 hexes up the left side, ran into a pile that consisted of 2 KMA, Q9, Raelin, and Jotun, and rolled a 17. Total devastation. KMA & Q9 rendered useless, Raelin crippled, and Jotun severely wounded. All for 100 points. Yes, it was a great roll, but even a modest roll of 4 or higher would have wounded all those great heroes and still killed the Krav.

Game 2 I was stupid and tried the same trick, and got my face kicked off.

Game 3 I was very shifty and came out on top due to constant order marker fiascoes; changing the positions of mine after each round, sighing at appropriate times, and taking out key figures with lots of markers on them.

It's a VERY versatile army, believe it or not. It's not just the one-trick pony; but that one trick is almost guaranteed to win you a game if you plan it right.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Aldin's Avatar
Aldin Aldin is offline
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder
 
Join Date: September 22, 2006
Location: TN - Nashville
Posts: 13,537
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 4
Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell Hero
Are you saying you can activate Brunak twice with Ornak's ability?
Nope - and you can't do that I play a lot of close-in maps where the combined move of Brunak and DW7k could potentially put 7k adjacent to the enemy units in one turn (especially if there is a road). Therefore the idea would be to put the first marker on Ornak and use Brunak and DW7k both. From your description it sounds like you are playing on MUCH larger maps (26 hexes )!

~Aldin, explosively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Bloody the Marro Stinger's Avatar
Bloody the Marro Stinger Bloody the Marro Stinger is offline
 
Join Date: September 4, 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 3,779
Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell Hero
Well, the point of this army is being tricky, not just opening up the game with flying 7k in, while your opponent just moves to intercept it. I agree the 500-point version is sub-par, but I think the 600-point version is really hot.

7k's role in this army is either A) blowing up 6 figures in the starting zone, or B) drawing fire from your archers. If your opponent ignores your archers, he gets, well, arched. If he ignores 7k, you close in, pick off weaklings, and explode if things get sticky. It's a great distraction. You can just fly him close and leave him there for a while as you rip holes in the other side with the hero-boosted elf battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Kinda fun, why not try a version with Ornak and Brunak that lets you actually explode in their face on the first turn?

~Aldin, agreeing about the non-competitive nature of this speed on steroids army
Well...2 activations of Theracus is 20 hexes, with 6 hexes from 7k on turn 3 for the big wham-o at a possible distance of 26 hexes. 2 activations of Brunak only gets you 12 hexes plus the 6 from 7k on turn 3; not nearly as good with 18.

Are you saying you can activate Brunak twice with Ornak's ability? Even if you can do that (which is GOOD TO KNOW!!), you're still only moving 18+6=24 hexes, and you have to worry about height. Theracus gets you there with 2 hexes to spare, and with flying to boot.

I used this army 3 times and won 2 games. I was fighting a tough army; Krav, Q9, and Raelin made things very difficult. But due to sigh-cological warfare I pulled it off.

The first game was a total landslide in my favor. In round 1 I scrambled my archers toward the right side of the map as if I were rushing over with them. Then in round 2 I flew 20 hexes up the left side, ran into a pile that consisted of 2 KMA, Q9, Raelin, and Jotun, and rolled a 17. Total devastation. KMA & Q9 rendered useless, Raelin crippled, and Jotun severely wounded. All for 100 points. Yes, it was a great roll, but even a modest roll of 4 or higher would have wounded all those great heroes and still killed the Krav.

Game 2 I was stupid and tried the same trick, and got my face kicked off.

Game 3 I was very shifty and came out on top due to constant order marker fiascoes; changing the positions of mine after each round, sighing at appropriate times, and taking out key figures with lots of markers on them.

It's a VERY versatile army, believe it or not. It's not just the one-trick pony; but that one trick is almost guaranteed to win you a game if you plan it right.
Of course, if the opponent just ties up Deathwalker 7000 with a unit he doesn't care about, you're screwed (which I assume he didn't try). Plus, Aclorah doesn't really do anything but give 2 move to your combo.

Bloody the Marro Stinger is the Chimeran Ravager in the....
KEEP OF THE NECRONOMICON
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:39 PM
willwall54022 willwall54022 is offline
 
Join Date: September 17, 2007
Location: WI, Riverfalls
Posts: 170
willwall54022 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev
Quote:
There are much better anti-range and glyph holders out there.
MUCH better? I'm going to have to disagree; for 100 (or less)DW7K is probably the single best glyph holder in the game... maybe second behind roborats x2. Even then they have troubles with special attacks.
I agree unless you can add 10 more for drake DW7K is a good way to go excluding bonding

Some people say sexy and some people say willwall54022
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Barbell Hero's Avatar
Barbell Hero Barbell Hero is offline
 
Join Date: August 1, 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 212
Barbell Hero Woo who?
Aldin: I didn't think you could...but good to know either way. Lately we have been playing on excessively large maps, because I bought almost $500 worth of 'Scape from those last huge sales at Hasbro & TRU. On a small map, the Ornak/Brunak/DW7K delivery would be total pain. I'm going to try it out very soon. It'd have to be pretty darn small though, really. That seems more of a trick you'd use when they are up in your face before you want them to be. Instant bomb.

Bloody: In addition to the +2 move on the combo, Acko also gives +2 move to the 3 archers and Kyntela Gwyn standing next to him. He also gets a halfway decent chance to auto-cancel a killing blow on any of the literally half of my army that is elves, if they are within 8 clear sight. How is that not doing anything?

My opponent "didn't try" to tie up 7k because he had order markers on things that couldn't engage him. Like I said: head games. Even when he knew I could bring a bomb to his house in 2-3 turns I still pulled it off due to trickery.

If something is sent to tie up 7k in future games, I'll simply concentrate on my archer battery; dominate the other side, or use them to free up 7k. I'm not too worried about 7k dying unless he gets mobbed by melee; and in that case? BOOM!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Heroscape background footer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.