Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old September 21st, 2008, 07:19 AM

Ingalls has disabled reputation
Question about Romans and the new FAQ

Hi there,

First I thank you to read this and do apologise for my poor english.

I'm curently translating the last official FAQ in french for a french speaking Heroscape Forum. I was doing so for the Roman Legionaires and have been struck by the new text for the shield wall.

What Was : add 1 defense die for each other adjacent roman legionnaire you control ...
Is now : add 1 defense die for each adjacent legionnaire you control...

Do I understand well the difference ? : I have two adjacent legionnaires and my opponent attack one of them. If I read the card I have a +1 but if I read the new FAQ I do have a +2

Thanks for your answers

Ingalls

Geronimooooo.....

Last edited by Ingalls; September 21st, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:51 AM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Question about Romans and the new FAQ

Actually, the Romans always worked like that, if I recall correctly. If you had two Roman Legionaires adjacent to another Roman Legionaire, then that legionaire would gain +2 to his defense.
In addition, welcome to Heroscapers! On behalf of Heroscapers I give you a Marro Handshackle!

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM

Thanks

The new text, without the word "other" in the power description may have a different signification : you must just have two adjacent legionnaires and not two adjacents legionnaires to a third one... and have a +2D

Geronimooooo.....
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hi Ingalls,

Each Roman gets a +1 Defense for every other Roman next to it, with a maximum of +2.

Two Romans next to each other each get just +1.

Old September 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM

yari commander Woo who?

acctualy i think it is like this.

if the romans are set up like this r r and i attack one then it will get three defence die 2+1. If they are set up like this
r and i attack them then they will get four defence die 2+2.
r r

Edit Cheddar beat me to it

Like a great predatory piano, I sit silent in the darkness. Until it is time to attack and then I strike in a cacophony of violence and ivory keys.
Click it please
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

R
R R
R

But, if they're set up like this, each still only gets +2 bonus, even though some are adjacent to three other Romans. ASCII diagrams are fun!

Old September 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM

Ok, that's how it has always worked. I'll ask it diferently : Why does hasbro have suppressed the word "other" in the Shield wall text?

Geronimooooo.....
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM

LeChevalierdeBalibari Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingalls View Post
Ok, that's how it has always worked. I'll ask it differently : Why does hasbro have suppressed the word "other" in the Shield wall text?
Good question... I don't see the difference...
Maybe because they had nothing else to do and to waste our time for?
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM

Okay, here's the original wording:

Shield Wall

When defending with a Roman Legionnaire, add 1 defense die for each other adjacent Roman Legionnaire up to a maximum of +2 dice for the shield wall power.

Here's the errata from the new FAQ:

SHIELD WALL: When defending with a Roman Legionnaire, add 1 defense die for each adjacent Roman Legionnaire you control up to a maximum of +2 dice, for the Shield Wall power.

Looking at both side by side we see two changes - the removal of the word "other" and the addition of the phrase "you control".

I suspect removing the "other" was just to clean it up. The power remains the same, and "other" was redundant in the first place. Adding "you control" clarifies that you can't get the bonus from enemy units, which I think everyone understood to be true already, but needed to be in writing.

Old September 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think the word "other" was extraneous, that's all. In english, they both read the same to me, but the "other" makes the sentence a little awkward.

My guess is that "other" was originally included to make sure they didn't add a die for the legionaire himself.

(Incorrect reading: "I have two Legionnaires next to each other. So, hey, that is two adjacent legionnaries, so I get plus 2!")

But the word "other" is not necessary, as the word adjacent already has a well-defined meaning in Heroscape. (And no figure can be adjacent to himself.)

---

What's the link for the french forum? I used to live in France, and it might be nice to participate. (Of course, I'd have to apologize for my poor French much more than you do for your english.)
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It has no added meaning. You will be fine translating it like the second. "Other" is a little cumbersome, and not really needed. Just make sure you realize this: A roman legionary does not get extra defense for himself. Just count the ones around him.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM

Ok, thanks for your answers, sometimes verry small subtilities in the language makes the difference.

@fomo6 : the french speaking forum is http://forum.heroscape.free.fr/ and one of the moderator is Aranas that is also well known here.

Ingalls

Geronimooooo.....

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units