Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 19th, 2016, 02:27 AM

fireemblemrox knows what's in an order marker fireemblemrox knows what's in an order marker
Terrain Maintenance?

Hi all,

I have had my collection for a long while now, and still play often enough. Today I was taking apart my map to rebuild a new one and realized that the pieces were very tightly locked together. I had huge trouble getting them apart, and even accidentally broke some of the single hex water tiles by mistake!

Some pieces were getting jammed together at odd angles, and I was too fearful to attempt to remove the pieces of water adjacent to big land tiles.

I'm sure this has something to do with thermodynamics and the expansion of plastic as it sits in heat, or something like that. However, has anyone also experienced sudden brittleness of water (and other similar) terrain pieces? Does anyone do anything for terrain maintenance at all?

I want to preserve my collection as best as I can, especially now that I'm short so many water tiles. This has never been an issue before, though this particular map I left constructed for a bit longer than before (we have a room dedicated to this and played 6 or 7 games over the course of a few weeks).

"FE's Battle Reports!"
"FE's TradeList!"

Good purchases from: Ztimster, Just_a_Bill, Teasedbyeldgrim, Queen of Jandar, Tmac2200, anuctoo
Old July 19th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Re: Terrain Maintenance?

I would imagine that well used tiles would accumulate a fair amount of oils and dirt from handing over the years. Some of the places where the sides slide together could get a little wonky from that. I'm guessing something like liquid dish soap, or Simple Green would help clear that out.
Old July 19th, 2016, 02:42 AM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireemblemrox View Post
Hi all,

I have had my collection for a long while now, and still play often enough. Today I was taking apart my map to rebuild a new one and realized that the pieces were very tightly locked together. I had huge trouble getting them apart, and even accidentally broke some of the single hex water tiles by mistake!

Some pieces were getting jammed together at odd angles, and I was too fearful to attempt to remove the pieces of water adjacent to big land tiles.

I'm sure this has something to do with thermodynamics and the expansion of plastic as it sits in heat, or something like that. However, has anyone also experienced sudden brittleness of water (and other similar) terrain pieces? Does anyone do anything for terrain maintenance at all?

I want to preserve my collection as best as I can, especially now that I'm short so many water tiles. This has never been an issue before, though this particular map I left constructed for a bit longer than before (we have a room dedicated to this and played 6 or 7 games over the course of a few weeks).
Sorry to hear about this.

I have a lots and lots of 2nd edition water tiles that I can send to you at no charge.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll see about getting like 20 out to you.
Old July 19th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Yes, my water, lava and ice tiles have become very brittle. I have lost several water an 2 lava. Not fun.
Old July 19th, 2016, 10:10 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The nature of the plastic, combined with how thin those certain tiles make them more prone to breakage. I have lost quite a few water, swamp, lava tiles. I think it is just the nature of the beast.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 19th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
The nature of the plastic, combined with how thin those certain tiles make them more prone to breakage. I have lost quite a few water, swamp, lava tiles. I think it is just the nature of the beast.
Yes, but having my collection since the 2006, I can assure you that theyare more brittle now than they were 10 or even 5 years ago.
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They are getting worse for sure, the sparkly water tiles seem to be stronger or less brittle to me then the older pure blue ones.
I have broken way to much of it so far, but I am rough on it also, I throw it around a lot, and have figures unorganized in bags and boxes. I can be in a rush when tearing it down, or really tired or drunk ( or both ).

I don't think it is going to get any less brittle I wonder if coconut oil would be good for it?

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old July 28th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Same here, my water tiles have become pretty brittle in recent years and I and my kids have broken quite a few. I presume there's nothing much to be done about it. Even something is durable as Heroscape is dust in the wind given a long enough timeline.

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion