Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape
Heroes of Star Wars Scape The place for all your Star Wars customs needs.

Notices

Old February 25th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: The Public design of Hoth Han

He's alive! HE'S ALIVE!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:54 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I have the figure, height is probably about 7 or 8. We can measure it later.
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:55 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I'm interested in seeing how this version of Han will work with Chewie as his Life Debt. He will be able to Carry Chewie for a move of 8, or even potentially Carry someone else while having Chewie follow behind them but not move quite as fast.
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:56 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
I really like Carry. I think that really embodies the protection feel we want from a Hoth Han. I'm not entirely sold on Aggressive Scouting, though. That doesn't really feel like a scouting maneuver. What if Aggressive Scouting changed into something that allowed you to move Han 'X' number of spaces at the very start of the game? That would give the player the feel where Han went out into the cold before everyone else to go save Luke.
I think the ability is more like this:

AGGRESSIVE scouting

Got to get the emphasis in the right spot.

Seriously though, it's a restricted double attack that will cause the player to keep him on the move. Even if there are figures within his range, he will want to keep moving to hit figures that are outside his range.

The concept of scouting doesn't really transition to HeroScape very well, because there is nothing like sighting, spotting, reporting or whatever. True scouts are used to gather information, so they are highly mobile and sacrifice heavy protection and arms for that. In HeroScape, the closest you can come is to design something that is mobile and causes a player to want to use that mobility, hence this design.

The only other possibilities for really fulfilling a scout function is to have something like the Probe Droid's ability that makes it easier for someone to hit the enemy (I used a similar design on a custom using the General Veers Hologram once) or something that can look at OMs on figures within X spaces so they get an idea of what the enemy will be doing (also a cool idea, but maybe more suited for another design, like say, Bothan Spies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I'm interested in seeing how this version of Han will work with Chewie as his Life Debt. He will be able to Carry Chewie for a move of 8, or even potentially Carry someone else while having Chewie follow behind them but not move as fast.

Hmm. That's a good observation, but I'm not too worried about it. I haven't been impressed by Chewie's life debt yet; in all my games he tends to wander around behind Han, who gets all the OMs and is the primary target of the enemy, until Han either breaks with him to avoid losing a full-health Wookiee to block a single wound or Han takes a surprisingly devastating hit that causes Chewie to die without having done anything else. I can't quite get it right with towing and using Chewie and still having Life Debt do something.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old February 25th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I'm interested in seeing how this version of Han will work with Chewie as his Life Debt. He will be able to Carry Chewie for a move of 8, or even potentially Carry someone else while having Chewie follow behind them but not move quite as fast.
This is a great point that I hadn't considered. We'd have to see if this feels broken during testing.

We could modify Carry slightly so that Han can only carry a wounded figure. While this does make the power more thematic, it makes it more complicated, which isn't ideal.
Old February 25th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
The concept of scouting doesn't really transition to HeroScape very well...
Very true. Maybe my dislike isn't that it doesn't represent scouting as much as scouting doesn't really represent Han, IMO. The Probe Droid was doing the scouting in my mind and Han was just responding to a possible threat.

Don't let me hold up the design, though. I think Carry is the iconic power on this card that really fills that theme spot.
Old February 25th, 2015, 05:56 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I kind of like the idea of restricting the carry ability to wounded figures. Then Han can run out and pick up a wounded hero and bring them back to 2-1B. I also think you make a good point about Han not really being a scout, he was on standard patrol duty. Lets at least drop the class of Scout so he does not get the mittens movement boost. Then we can rename aggressive scouting power to something else but keep the mechanics the same. Something like Rescue Party might work.
Old February 25th, 2015, 05:57 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

THREAT Neutralization and RESCUE PARTY? Or just RESCUE.

SCAPERS DOESN'T LIKE ALL CAPS.
Old February 25th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Aggressive Reconaissance?

Patrol is really a kind of defensive scouting though....

And they heard the Probe Droid and Solo and Chewbacca went to check it out. That wasn't standard patrol duty, they were out to find out what that was.

I think we're now in danger of tipping back away from a fairly simple design in favor of something more complicated, but not really better.....

EDIT: I just watched the beginning of Empire again. Han and Luke were doing Patrol runs with the Tauntauns, then Han rescues Luke with the Tauntaun. The scene with the Patrol Droid doesn't feature a Tauntaun.

I don't know how much theme one could really juice out of this. It's a guy on a Tauntaun who goes out on Patrol, braves the storm to find his friend, and later (without his Tauntaun), shoots a Droid he's investigating. I don't see the need for a super complicated design. Tauntaun Han doesn't need to feel like Han because Tauntaun Han in the film doesn't really exhibit any typical or landmark Han Solo characteristics. Aggressive Scouting captures a bit of the idea that he shoots first and asks questions later, Carry captures the idea that he is there to help his friends and the Tauntaun is further represented with the snow movement. I'd say that's a good job on hitting thematic notes with simple abilities, very similar to the way the abilities used at the beginning of ClassicScape managed to bring figures to life and be very thematic, despite being simple.

As far as Class goes, what else should he be? Patrol Soldier? Rider? Scout is an established class, they were used to patrol (which is what Scouts do if they are on the defense), and I don't really see the need to prevent Mittens Synergy. If we want to argue about what's not a scouty scout, why are the AT-STs Scouts if they were used to guard and as assault vehicles? I think he can remain a scout.

My suggestion seemed to hit a good spot for quite a few. And we've been working on this for quite a while. Are these serious concerns or could we leave it be? I'm eager to get to another public design and would love to see the Imperials get another Commander.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; February 25th, 2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old February 25th, 2015, 06:32 PM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

I like a lot of these recent suggestions, but I don't like him being restricted to wounded figures. At that point, the power is almost a liability, unless you let Han pick the figure up at any point during his move (which I'm not opposed to, actually.) It would just suck watching Darth Vader one shot a figure because Han was incapable of carrying it away. A figure can be in danger and not be wounded.

What I like better, is maybe giving Han a movement boost as long as he moves closer to your start zone, or maybe as long as he ends his move adjacent to a friendly Medic. Or maybe just a movement boost if he is carrying a wounded figure.
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Koolster25 rolls all skulls baby! Koolster25 rolls all skulls baby! Koolster25 rolls all skulls baby! Koolster25 rolls all skulls baby! Koolster25 rolls all skulls baby!

Spoiler Alert!

Schulzy:
"I like a lot of these recent suggestions, but I don't like him being restricted to wounded figures. At that point, the power is almost a liability, unless you let Han pick the figure up at any point during his move (which I'm not opposed to, actually.) It would just suck watching Darth Vader one shot a figure because Han was incapable of carrying it away. A figure can be in danger and not be wounded."

That also goes along with what Tai Pan was saying about simplicity.

And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and you will receive eternal life."
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.
My Customs
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:30 PM

weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Holocron of Hoth Han

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebaer View Post
I really don't want it to be over complicated. I am a bigger fan of the simpler and fun designs
This was my main concern way back on page 1 of this thread. I am glad Tai-Pan is on board with me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape