Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:15 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Figure Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
What color primer do you think would have the best results? It seems like black is recommended by a lot of people, but I don't really know how the different colors affect it.

The three basic colors of primer are black, white, and grey. Black primer lets you use the primer as an undercoat for shadows if you apply thin coats of your colors; unfortunately, it's hard to get bright colors over a black primer coat unless you put down a couple layers of white over where your bright colors will be. White primer allows you to use tints of your base color to create colored shading, and all your colors will be brighter, but this may not be the effect you want for a figure. Grey primer tries to balance both sides; you can get both dark and bright colors without a lot of work, and shading (not shadows) is easier. Black primer will also tend to hide small mistakes better; missing a spot with a white-primed figure will stand out noticeably.

If you're going to be painting something mostly in dark colors, or with harsher contrasts, or you're only interested in 'tabletop quality' paint jobs (i.e., something you're generally going to be looking at on a mapboard, at a distance of two to three feet, so doesn't have a lot of fine detail), black primer will be fine. If you're going to be painting something mostly in light or bright colors, or you're going to be doing more detailed paint jobs that will be looked at closely, use white or grey primer.

That said, there are proponents of all three types of primer regardless of application, because that's what they've become used to working with, or because of specific effects they can get with their chosen primer. And there are arguments beyond the simplistic breakdown I gave above, but for the type of painting you'd be doing for this, a lot of them are much more hard-core miniature painting than you need. You're not painting your miniatures to post to Cool Mini or Not, after all...
Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:24 PM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JairEmia View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Detail-Paint-...iature+brushes

Now if your planning on doing a complete repaint I would suggest priming the figure first. I used Tamiya fine Surface Primer on the figures in the pictures below followed at the end of the painting by a coat of testors Dullcote for protection. This will not give a look similar to heroscape figures though so maybe someone else can help with that.

What color primer do you think would have the best results? It seems like black is recommended by a lot of people, but I don't really know how the different colors affect it.
I prefer white primer, the colors put over it will have a bit more of pop and I think it works well with heroscape. (bright and colorful) On the other hand black primer gives a more realistic dark look but tends to mute colors a bit. Black is also probably nicer for the dry brushing effect (cracks and details will be a little darker than normal.)

Really though you will just have to decide for yourself which you prefer. Using the army painter kit it is always easier to bring colors down by adding another wash than it is to bring colors up, so thats the main reason why i prefer white.

Good luck!

Edit: Ninja! srmalloy basically just about covered all the bases.

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:19 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wow, thanks for all the info.

I think tomorrow I'm going to buy the supplies and get started. I think I'll get both a black and white primer, and probably buy some paints from Micheal's. Is there much of a difference between Apple Barrel, Folk Art, or Americana? Is Liquitex better?

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Summertime Custom Competition:
Chops Kitchen

What is The MollusClash's biggest radio hit?
Spoiler Alert!
What even is CoN?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:58 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

I've been buying Craft Smart because that's what the Michael's near me carries, but I've got some Apple Barrel and Americana as well; I haven't noticed any real difference between them, and they all mix without a problem (different companies' paints may not blend even if they're the same type of paint; this generally indicates an incompatible solvent. I've only seen this with model paints; all craft paint seems to be pretty miscible).
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:23 PM

MementoMori knows what's in an order marker MementoMori knows what's in an order marker MementoMori knows what's in an order marker

Aside from the final result, white primer brighter, black darker, I believe black is more forgiving with newbie mistakes. This is due to unpainted or badly painted spot will be black areas in a dark mini I stead of bright white spots.

When you gain practice you'll be using many different primers. Now I mainly use grey or brown for "neutral" minis. In color intensive ones I use the appropriate color: blood angels red, military green...
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:44 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well, I've bought some paint, and primed some figures. All they had was white (for spray on, they had paint on black, but I figured I could at least start with just white). Hopefully my noobie mistakes won't be too obvious (or I'll just be a natural Bonegnasher right off the bat ).

Look forward to some embarresing photos in a few hours, I've got some Vikings and Samurai to desecrate!

Chops Kitchen

Spoiler Alert!
What even is CoN?
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:36 PM
On vacation...

Wow, I finished my first repaint (for the most part)!

Spoiler Alert!

Honestly, I'm extremely happy with how he turned out. This figure seemed like a good sculpt to start with.

I'm probably going to go over it some more, I forgot to buy any metallic colours so I might have to get some for the swords, though the white doesn't look terrible.

I'm really excited to repaint all the other stuff (I primed the other two guys and a set of TV-Warriors). Time to eat first though.

Chops Kitchen

Spoiler Alert!
What even is CoN?

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; September 24th, 2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:33 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Wow, I finished my first repaint (for the most part)!

Spoiler Alert!

Honestly, I'm extremely happy with how he turned out. This figure seemed like a good, easy sculpt to start with (not tons of details to focus on).

I'm probably going to go over it some more, I forgot to buy any metallic colours so I might have to get some for the swords, though the white doesn't look terrible.

I'm really excited to repaint all the other stuff (I primed the other two guys and a set of TV-Warriors). Time to eat first though.

Was looking forward to seeing your first repaint but the pictures are not showing up for me.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old September 24th, 2016, 01:47 AM
On vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post

Was looking forward to seeing your first repaint but the pictures are not showing up for me.
Fixed.

Here they are too:

Spoiler Alert!

Chops Kitchen

Spoiler Alert!
What even is CoN?

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; September 24th, 2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old September 24th, 2016, 08:58 PM
On vacation...

Well, I've finished my first squad. I'll probably change the bases a bit.

Honestly, I think the first one I did was the best, but that's probably just because the sculpt is so simple. The other two still look good from table-distance (is that a term? I'm sure there's an actual thing to say there).

Also, I've changed this to my display/feedback/rambling thread. Feel free to give me all the feedback you can think of.

IzNEWmi Samurai

Kinda Crummy Pictures
Spoiler Alert!

Chops Kitchen

Spoiler Alert!
What even is CoN?

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; October 8th, 2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old September 24th, 2016, 09:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Dr. G's Figure Repaints

They look great for your first, well done.
Old September 25th, 2016, 01:50 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Dr. G's Figure Repaints

Nice job man! And how do you like figure painting so far?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions