Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: DFW Tournaments - Restricted List

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
That's interesting. Can you link to any? Our resident Orc expert BroInLaw hasn't been playing as much, so we haven't seen them much in DFW. I played against the HSB's and the Goblins and they a re a potent combo, though one you really need to practice with to play well it seems. Not unlike the Blast/Glads.

We didn't see a single Goblin or Grut at the team event this year, but I think that's more because of the point and start zone restrictions than an indication of their validity as a build.
CheddarLimbo, I think that the reason we didn't see a Grut Army was because of the restricted list, period. Last year, DrL led me to believe he and Bro-in-law would bring (although he didn't) a Grut conglomeration, with Grimnak, Nerak, and Tornak at its core, with Heavy Gruts and Blade Gruts making up the bread and butter.

I was going to bring it this year, considering how hard I had to work to counter it in playtesting last year. The restricted list ended that thought before it ever got started.

Dignan has indicated that the restricted list would be applied to "some events." Which ones? Because I am generally against restrictions on figures, except on those occasions when it's done just for a wrinkle in the rules, i.e. for fun. Heck, I won the team tournament with GladDragon, but I wouldn't want those same restrictions for all team events. I just figured that was a tweak to make things interesting.

I'd rather see unlimited start zone sizes or glyph pool hijinks - (How about 3 random Treasure glyphs in the start zone) - used to alter the units involved in a tourney.

~AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!

Last edited by AnubianWolf88; March 23rd, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: R˙chean isn't the only one who likes Marro Warriors -I've included them in two of my three top-finishing armies
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubianWolf88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
That's interesting. Can you link to any? Our resident Orc expert BroInLaw hasn't been playing as much, so we haven't seen them much in DFW. I played against the HSB's and the Goblins and they a re a potent combo, though one you really need to practice with to play well it seems. Not unlike the Blast/Glads.

We didn't see a single Goblin or Grut at the team event this year, but I think that's more because of the point and start zone restrictions than an indication of their validity as a build.
CheddarLimbo, I think that the reason we didn't see a Grut Army was because of the restricted list, period. Last year, DrL led me to believe he and Bro-in-law would bring (although he didn't) a Grut conglomeration, with Grimnak, Nerak, and Tornak at its core, with Heavy Gruts and Blade Gruts making up the bread and butter.

I was going to bring it this year, considering how hard I had to work to counter it in playtesting last year. The restricted list ended that thought before it ever got started.

Dignan has indicated that the restricted list would be applied to "some events." Which ones? Because I am generally against restrictions on figures, except on those occasions when it's done just for a wrinkle in the rules, i.e. for fun. Heck, I won the team tournament with GladDragon, but I wouldn't want those same restrictions for all team events. I just figured that was a tweak to make things interesting.

I'd rather see unlimited start zone sizes or glyph pool hijinks - (How about 3 random Treasure glyphs in the start zone) - used to alter the units involved in a tourney.

~AW88
To answer your question about which events are likely to use this list in our area, the Richardson Open and Team Tournaments are slated to use it.

The Richardson Open will use it as its only wrinkle. The event will be an otherwise straight up 1v1 event with a focus on new maps. Future team tournaments are likely to use this list but revert back to more traditional start zones. While I understand the concern from those not enjoying the list, the team tournament armies had devolved a little too much for many people's taste.

There was a general sentiment against keeping things vanilla in the team event. Some builds had become dominant and a bit of a bear to play against. Hence, two events ago, we came up with the caddy corner style to combat this. Then I pushed it up a bit to the restricted list this year.

After the event this year, I gathered that the restricted list would work well in a more traditional start zone team event. The caddy corner maps had some serious downsides that I'm not all together happy with. I did my best to mitigate them, but the fact remained that they had a significant impact on army performance that is not all together desirable.

If I were to run the team event next year, I think I'd be inclined to run it "side by side" teams with a restricted list. But, I will defer to the majority if there is an uproar against that idea. Again, the list could be modified from it's existing state to better fit the needs of the team event. If there are specific units that people feel should be allowed in team events, let's discuss them.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the work you are doing with this project, Dignan. In my opinion, Gencon and the Texas area, have the biggest impact and precendence on the tourney scene metagame. They both have one thing in common...
Spoiler Alert!

If you are just looking to get into Scape, I have plenty of terrain to get you started!
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:08 PM

Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun

Well, we just finished our second traditional style tournament using the restricted list. I've been very happy with the diversity in armies that we've seen at the events. Here is some data from the two events.

2010 Top 5
  1. Fencer Jared - 4x 10th Regiment, Brunak, and Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan
  2. Dignan - Phantom Knight x3, 10th Reg x 3, and Theracus
  3. DrLivingston (tie) - Granite Guardians x3, RotV Raelin, and Syvarris
  4. R˙chean - Romans, Morgrim, MDG
  5. GunsMahoney - Spidersx4?, Wyvernx2, Drow Chick hero
2011 Top 5
  1. R˙chean - Vipersx6?, Mittens, Fen Hydra
  2. Dignan - Warforgedx3, Ashigaurx3, Raelin
  3. DrLivingston - Steamroller
  4. Podwest - Minnionsx4, Raelin
  5. Lord Trask - Dividersx4?, Raelin, Eltahale
I can't recall all the armies from two years ago, but I don't recall any rats. I also don't think we saw Q9 (but I can't be sure). I know that we didn't see either this year. And, we saw no stingers this year as well.

Overall, I think that the list has done well in the two years we've used it. It feels like more armies are "on the table" when you are preparing for the event because not everything in the army can be "optimal".

At this event there was some discussion of taking Kaemon Awa off the list (we've talked about it before). I think that he can off the list. Unless I hear a bunch of uproar against it, I'll likely take him off the list before we use this again.

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old May 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

As a guy in the "State to the Right", I can certainly say that I think the restricted list idea is genius and this particular list is pretty close to perfect.
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
At this event there was some discussion of taking Kaemon Awa off the list (we've talked about it before). I think that he can off the list. Unless I hear a bunch of uproar against it, I'll likely take him off the list before we use this again.
Dignan, what was your final consensus regarding Kaemon Awa? I see that you've updated the first post recently, but Kaemon's still there.

Aside from that little caveat, is the final list that will be used for NSHD 2011? In other words, no further changes will be made, and this is final?

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Dignan, what was your final consensus regarding Kaemon Awa? I see that you've updated the first post recently, but Kaemon's still there.

Aside from that little caveat, is the final list that will be used for NSHD 2011? In other words, no further changes will be made, and this is final?
rym, you're just sayin' that to fire me up, right? I didn't think that Dignan or Ry had any interest in using the restricted list for NHSD.

AW88

str8 loco

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubianWolf88 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

rym, you're just sayin' that to fire me up, right? I didn't think that Dignan or Ry had any interest in using the restricted list for NHSD.

AW88

str8 loco
What are you smokin' man?!

Here, and I quote for you:

Army Construction:
  • Point limit: 510
  • Starting spaces: 24 hexes
  • No marvel allowed
  • Restricted: Each army can only have one card which is on the restricted list below (you can have multiples of the same common). Example: An army can have Raelin, but then you can't have Krav, or rats, etc. If you have Major Q9, you can't have Stingers, etc.
See? I'm not crazy. Now, Fire it Up, AW88, Fire it Up!!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM

rym, et al.:

I will be moving my angst to the appropriate thread (DFW NHSD). Please move along. Nothing more to see here.

(I like the restricted units list...for some things. But I think I'm about to get all irrational and whatnot)

Currently playing:

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I forgot about that discussion. But, it appears that the people clamoring to have him taken off the list have reversed their positions (a bit). I think we'll keep him on there for now (and for NHSD 11). This will be the list we use for NHSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboobianwolf88
(I like the restricted units list...for some things. But I think I'm about to get all irrational and whatnot)
Where were you a few weeks ago when I was looking for dissenting opinions? How was I supposed to know you'd be opposed to it?

Last edited by Dignan; August 23rd, 2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Despite being totally awesome, I am not a mind reader.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

I used to think that K.Awa along with Q10 should be removed from the list.

However, I started thinking it through: Those guys are just a notch below the uber range units. If they were not on the list, then builds such as 3xReaver, K.Awa, Q10, Nakita would be possible and highly probable.

In my view, that army is every bit as obnoxious as 3xreaver, Q9, Krav.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 23rd, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: i say again: big boy pants
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Who Bummed Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
I also thought K.Awa should be removed along with Q10.

However, I started thinking it through: Those guys are just a notch below the uber range units. If they were not on the list, then builds such as 3xReaver, K.Awa, Q10, Nakita would be possible and highly probable.

In my view, that army is every bit as obnoxious as 3xreaver, Q9, Krav.
You're every bit as obnoxious as 3 x 'Reavers, Q9, & Krav.

Seriously, though, AW88, I'm in agreement with you. I like the idea of the restricted list but I'm not so sure that all the units on it need to be on it. (But then again, that's because I want to use 10th Foot and KA).

Last edited by rym; August 23rd, 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: I'm beginning to really dig Rev's idea.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events