Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 16th, 2021, 01:31 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

We now have three definites and two possibles for Wednesday. One is an old pal who used to Scape back in the days when the game was still in print; the other is a brand new pal I just met on BGG!
Old August 18th, 2021, 06:33 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Kolakoski ran his two games with me, Warbanner, and another pal. The first game ended on the last Turn Ten, and I was within 10 points of tieing, but Kolakoski won!

My pal was a Scaper, but hadn't played since back in the day when the game was still on the market. Jarett was very quick to scope out good tactics and share them with us.

In the second game I was trashed early, but enjoyed watching the others. My pal suggested what we used to call bounty hunting--you get the points you kill with full card scoring. So with these big bruiser brawling armies, we were even more aggressive than in the first game, and it ended at the end of Turn 7.

Here are the armies we used for both games.

Chas Army

Heracles 200
Ogre Warhulk 150
Deathcommander Mark III
Crixius 90
Kelda 80
Beorn Boltcutter 50

Kolakoski Armies

Game 1
Mimring 150
Cyprien 150
Bahadur 120
Kaemon Awa 120
Raelin 80
Prince Al' Kahora 60

Game 2
Bramcephus 230
Augamo 155
Locksley 130
Nottingham Brigand 35
Kha 75 (Kolakoski designed)
Kormin the Dark 75

Warbanner Army

Heracles 200
Maratuk 195
Hrognar (Mounted) 205
Rygarn 90

Chas Pal Army (made by Kolakoski)

Quahon 190
Brontos 175
Morgoloth 140
Gothlock 130
Skull Demon 65

Final Score Game Two

Kolakoski 995
Warbanner 615
Pal 580
Chas 330

So Kolakoski, the GM, won both games! Congrats to a fine army builder and player!

The next game will be a Mini Tournament run by me, with smaller 2 Player maps to run several games at once. We'll eliminate until we find a winner, although everyone will play in every round if possible. This will take place here on Saturday August 28.

Tablewalker will GM our September game!

Last edited by chas; September 10th, 2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 09:43 AM

ChasCon II Scenario Saturday August 28

On Saturday you can bring one 550 point army covering a maximum of 24 hexes of Classic and Custom C3V/SOV figures (no Marvel). We'll rotate among 3-4 two player tournament boards that have been used in past GenCon/ScapeCon events.

As we do during regular Islandscapes, each round will be a timed 1 hour, with a Five Minute Warning to finish up, after which you can finish out the current player's turn. The winner will have the most points left on the board, if neither player has been eliminated.

There will be no prize table or trophies, but I'll announce the winner on our New York City Gang of Four thread on the Heroscapers site will all due pomp and circumstance! But feel free to bring any game stuff you want to give away or sell, and take as many photos as you like. try and get here a bit before noon, and you can grab food downstairs as usual if you like and bring it up.

If you have any gaming questions, just let me know, and we'll discuss them.
We've done this once before here with six players in the Winter of 2019, so this is now ChasCon II! The old four original members also used to play a couple of rounds as practice for Islandscapes some years using the same format.

We currently have 4 players and one more possible, and I hope to add one or two more by the end of the week. I look forward to a day of Scaper fun!
Old August 26th, 2021, 11:44 AM

ChasCon II Preparation

All four maps are now on the table with different terrain types for each: one 3 Player and three 2 Players. They are chosen from 2019-2020 Cons or others from their designers.

I've also chosen my own army. Its based on a synergy I just discovered between an older C3V card and a newer one. Of course, this might have been planned out some time ago by the designers.

I have now also reached out to some of our old Islandscape participants from years past, using an old distribution list. One or two of the people already attending do come from that group.

Warbanner, who ran the Islandscapes, was here two weeks ago to Scape, but can't make it on Saturday. He has also helped with a few questions I had about running the tournament for consistency. Taeblewalker will also be on hand from our NYCG4 membership.
Old August 28th, 2021, 09:57 AM

SECRETS OF CHASCON II EXPOSED: August 28, 2021

3 Rounds of 1 Hour Each
Participants: Chas, Taeblewalker, Man At Arms, MathJedi

Maps

Draugur by Mad Wookiee (Ice Mountains, Snow)

Drudgery by Flash_19 (Swamp, Swamp Water, Palm Trees, 2 Hives)

Dance of the Dryads by Typhon2222 (Lava, Road, Rock Outcropings, Pine Trees)

Cerberus by Mad Wookie (3 Player: Dungeon, Shadow, Rock Outcropings) This was chosen to accommodate an uneven number of players if necessary.

Chas Army: "Heavy Metal"

Talingul 100
Breach 145
Iron Golem 100
Major J15 95
Kelda 80
Black Wrymling 30
Total 9 Sp 550 Pt

Taeblewalker Army

Minions of Utgar x4
Atlaga 90
Marcu 20

Man At Arms Army

Zetacron
Raelin
General Simon Fraser
10th Rgt of Foot x2
Buccaneers of Tortuga x3
Total 545

MathJedi

Concan
4th Mass x 2
Sentinels of Jandar x3
Total: 550

As you can see, everyone else but me went Squadscape. First Game First Man of War cleaned my clock in a shutout. In Game Two I did the same to MathJedi. But then for Game Three I got deep sixed once again by Taeblewalker.

Final Score

Man At Arms 825
Taeblewalker 770
Chas 550
MathJedi 85

After the three rounds using all three 2 Player Boards, we called it a tourney. Then we took a snack break downstairs and played a fourth game on the three player board so far unused--a team game of New York vs New Jersey. Taeblewalker and I shared a start zone, and the others each took one for their own. New Jersey won it finally after a long untimed match. But I enjoyed this last game the most myself.

Thanks to my fellow Scapers for a long and fun day. Somehow after a rest I managed to rally and, since everyone had helped disassemble all the maps, got everything put away and cleared the table for a game of Ankh: Gods of Egypt tomorrow.

Last edited by chas; August 29th, 2021 at 12:36 AM.
Old August 31st, 2021, 09:45 AM

The following came in yesterday from Man At Arms in our Event thread, and I crosspost it here:

Thanks Charley for hosting. Paul and I had a lot of fun. Nick, it was great to see you again. My apologies for having to beat up on the New Yorkers.

I’ll see if I can post some pics of the team battle finale. It was epic with constructs and minions squaring off against sentinels and pirates. In the end our numbers were able to overcome but it was a fierce fight!
Old September 6th, 2021, 10:51 AM

Taeblewalker sent us his scenario for his regular NYCG4 game on Wed. Sept. 8 which is coming up the day after tomorrow here at noon! Its 600 point armies using at least two cards from his favorite side project Heroes of Fiction. He's included them before, but now there are more to choose from. If you've never checked their thread out, they are a small committee who make up favorite characters from literature, films, games, and etc.

I have my army ready, and since I have to build one, TW told me to pick a map.
After searching through our old Map Library and coming up empty, I found a 4 Player map here onsite instead, to be revealed next post.

This should be a fun game with us four regulars: Taeblewalker, Chas, Kolakoski, and Sherman Davies. As usual we rotate being GM, which usually produces many different and creative maps and scenarios. Sherm will be our GM next month in October.

We seem to be back to normal operations after our big month in August with three Scape dates. We usually do invite others, but rarely have guest players as we did last month.

Saturday game dates remain a possibility for those who can't make it on our usual Wednesday afternoon, which happens to have worked for the four of us through the years! If you're in or near NYC and want to join us, just let us know so we can include you in planning our player count.

Last edited by chas; September 6th, 2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old September 6th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Awesome. Thundarr is going to clean house.
Old September 6th, 2021, 06:21 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Awesome. Thundarr is going to clean house.
Ookla! Ariel! Ride!!!

Old September 9th, 2021, 09:13 AM

HEROSCAPE: THE GAME THAT REFUSES TO DIE!

The four of us met for two games using some Heroes of Fiction cards with GM Taeblewalker. We decided that Kolakoski's using two figures who could return after death might break the game, so he modified his original army twice, and played with one of each in each game. These were free for alls with full card scoring; see a previous post for the other scenario rules. While we usually play one FFA and one Team game, in this case Dave wanted to try his two different armies out in FFA, so we did two of them instead.

Map: 4-Way Frenzy by Sir Heroscape

While we almost never play with Power Glyphs, I liked the central placement of the only 2 glyphs proposed for this map, so I made up a random pool of five from the simplest--those which buffed up a card stat or the Initiative roll.

This is a great map; having lots of interesting terrain but being very simple to build!

For Game One, making fun of the name of one of Kolakoski's cards, I played the soundtrack of Ennio Morricone's music to the Western movie trilogy By Sergio Leone (with Clint Eastwood) which I picked up some years ago in Italy--after Sherman Davies started to sing a snatch of it while discussing this character before the game started.

*The Armies*

Kolakoski Army Game 1
Kratos 300 (HOF)
Ezio Auditore 150 (aka "Ennio Moricone") (HOF)
Cyprien Eisenwein 150
Total: 600

Kolakoski Army Game 2
Duncan McLeod 160 (HOF)
Tanis Half-Elven 120 (HOF)
Alastair MacDirk 110
Knights of Weston x3 210

Chas Army "Men In Gray"
Dalinar Kholin 210 (HOF)
John Wick 215 (HOF)
Krag Maga Agents 100
Phantom Knights 70

Sherman Davies Army
Predator x2 240 (HOF)
Quahon 190
Fyorlag Spiders x4 160
Isamu 10

Taeblewalker Army
Thundarr The Barbarian 110 (HOF)
Ookla The Mok 110 (HOF)
Ariel 70 (HOF)
Wyvern 100
Fylorlag Spiders x28
Total 600

As a member of the Heroes of Fiction gang, Taeblewalker had designed these three HOF cards himself. Ariel was still in development but mostly finished, this counting as a playtest for her along with her two other Thundarr companions. We thought they worked well and also well together, and I suggested they be allowed in any future game we play, where normally we have to declare an HOF game to use them.

We had done this once or twice previously, I using as I recall HOF cards like Duncan MacCleod, Captain Jack Sparrow, Indiana Jones, Agent J, Katniss Everdean, Neo, The Doctor (Who), and Ash Williams. Sherman Davies had used the Predator. Check out the HOF thread if you haven't seen their offerings before!

*The Games*

Game One

I had very poor initiative rolls in both games. From Turn One both my neighbors Taeblewalker and Sherman Davies viciously attacked from both sides, and I had to change all my initial glyph grabbing plans to turn and defend myself. Sherm's Quahon dragon got above my start zone and wrecked havoc against my adjacent figures before I could do anything about it. (The map was small, and only had 14 hex start zones instead of the usual 24. We just put a couple of extra figures off the board and considered adjacent to the owner's start zone).

I later made a good truce with Sherman that allowed me to continue. (We usually make such truces if someone else pulls ahead too far, which you often seen in multiplayer Scape Free For Alls). Although we all had powerful figures, we were surprised in this game at how quickly many of them took multiple hits and were eliminated with a number of vicious multiple wound attacks early on!

Eventually Sherman Davies was able to win.

Game Two

Sherm and K. changed seats, and my two powerful HOF characters proved able to hurt Kolakoski's Knights of Weston. I even took out Duncan McLeod quickly, although he soon came back--but after that he stayed away from me. This time my Krav Maga survived to climb a hill and fire away, finally taking out K's last Knight in his start zone. This time I made a truce with Taeblewalker, and this allowed us to punish the other two.

John Wick got involved in a vicious fight in the center pond, where both glyphs were located. Jungle trees and bushes here made it a tough fight with limited acess to key hexes.

By the time TW broke the truce, I had helped him sew up the win, and was satisfied to have helped him out. My army had proved flexible in many situations, and both HOF cards earned their points.

Afterward K. had to go home, and since we hadn't had the group together in a while, the rest of us just ate some dinner brought up from downstairs and talked for a while. Its good to have the family back together!

Last edited by chas; September 10th, 2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old September 9th, 2021, 09:25 AM

We welcome Sherman Davies back to the site in general, since he's been away for months. You can see him posting again on his customs thread. Next month in October he'll be running our game, in which he thinks will playtest some of them, probably Superheroes/Villains. Which will appear?

Last edited by chas; September 10th, 2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old September 21st, 2021, 09:19 AM

Our next game date will be Wednesday, October 6.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion