Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Notices

Old October 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
TV Show: Robin Hood

OK, most of you guys stateside may never have to worry about this, but those of you with BBC Worldwide, or who like Bittorrenting stuff like the new Doctor Who might have heard about Robin Hood, the BBC's new Saturday night family drama series.

Forget about it. It rates a 4/10 at best.

I suppose there's always a chance that next week will improve things, but I spent 40 minutes thinking I was watching Hercules, Xena, or worse, Sinbad. At least Xena had interesting costumes.

Bad camera work, bad edits, and bloody awful scriptwriting just added to the whole impression of not very much money having been spent.

Even Keith hamming it up (as ever) as the Sheriff of Nottingham was a let-down, in what was clearly a rather desperate attempt to do a Nikolas Grace (despite what Rickman fans claim, Grace was by far and away the best Sheriff there has ever been).

Come back Michael Praed, all is forgiven. (well, almost all. There was that ****ing awful season of Dynasty. I'm not sure you deserve forgiving for that.) The 1980's UK-produced Robin of Sherwood was vastly better than this new show.

Save your time and effort, and watch something else. Unless next week really dramatically improves on tonight's shambles.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old October 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Glad you were able to let us know that there is nothing to know about ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
I caught 5 mins and thought it looked a bit crap. I figured I'd torrent it, but if its not worth it, I wont waste the bandwidth.

It's a shame, we seem utterly inept in the production of genuinely good TV. We can make films easily on par with America, India, Australia and even the burgeoning Russian film industry - and quite often superior; but we absolutely cannot produce a decent non-comedy TV show.

The yanks have "The Wire" - we have "The Bill".
The yanks get "Deadwood" - we have "Hartbeat".
The yanks get "Sopranos" - we gave "Red Caps".

I suppose Ultraviolet wasnt bad in its day. Sharpe, too, was ok - but relied on a bit of camp humour.

Ach, well.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Yet we also did Hustle, and the new Doctor Who - and lets not forget Life on Mars, that was every bit as good as Lost.

The only real shame is that the Beeb hyped this show, effectively proclaiming that it was the continued return of quality family telly to the screens on a Saturday night - yet in nthe end, it was just another rubbish show that deserves to be forgotten quickly and quietly.

And if you've not seen Life On Mars yet persist in wasting your time with Heartbeat, shame on you.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

Old October 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
now you're not wasting time! Life on Mars is a great concept (it showed up in the states a couple months ago). I have only caught a couple episodes as of yet but both were very entertaining. I appreciate the dichotomy of the dual time lines ...

Old October 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Whereas I was most entertained by the Sweeney-style policing. As I get to work with police officers (and ex-police officers) from time to time, I was no less amazed by them telling me that yes, policing in the 70's was really like that ...

Gotta love Phil Glennister as the DI.

Old October 8th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

The extreme differences between what was accepted back then "Beat the crapola out of the suspects/informants" - no problem, to the uber-PC version today "Don't even look sideways at the suspect that has the murder weapon in his hands"!

Both versions are based on reality, and both are completely insane!

Old October 9th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
I never saw Hustle... The new Dr Who is not what I'd call great TV - it's good and entertaining, but it had that camp Britishness about it. Life on Mars, though, did seem truly excellent. Id forgot about it, as I only saw 3 or 4 episodes. May have to have alook into it again...

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:50 AM

skullsgood has disabled reputation
Personally, I like all the Kudos material. Sure, Spooks is about as realistic as The Magic Roundabout, but it's never dull.

Sharpe, camp? I'm afraid that element passed me by.

Doctor Who: no personal objections to the 'camp Britishness' myself, but I do feel that it's a little too touchy-feely sometimes.
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:47 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
I kind of like the Robin Hood. I saw it for the first time last night on BBC America. It was decent. Not great, but decent.

And Marian is incredibly hot.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Wow, I'm curious what you guys consider good TV. My entire family has been thoroughly enjoying Robin Hood. How can you guys be down on a show that features the Second Doctor's grandson in it?

Yes, it is updated, but it's as much fun as Pirates of the Carribean. My only gripe thus far has been that Marian's outfits and hair styles look more like they belong in the 1980s than Robin's time.

As for the comparison's Richard made, I hated Xena. I'm probably the only heterosexual male in America that did so, but I deplore that show. I'm not one to watch a show just to see women wearing skimpy outfits. Xena did nothing for me. The only time I ever watched Hercules was when Aphrodite was on it. I enjoyed watching the tension between the two of them and she was hot (thus re-claiming my manhood from the dislike of Xena). I guess I like weird things because I don't consider myself to be simple in my viewing tastes, but I liked Sinbad and hated to see it go.

We've also been enjoying Wild at Heart as a family. I just got to watch my first episode of Life on Mars last week. Wow, that was awesome. I've often wondered that very premise. How would a modern police officer function in the past? I can't wait to see more of that show and it's in such a cool time period, too.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

I have been watching it for a while now on BBCA myself and have enjoyed it. My gripe however is slightly different than Doc's; mine is simply the fact that Marian is just shy of 3 times the body mass of Robin (I have come to the conclusion that the casting director was under the impression he was casting Batman's adolescent sidekick rather than the Lord of Locksley Manor!).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media