Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Mars, The Bringer of War = Metal
Carmina Burana = Metal
Song of Storm and Fire = Metal

Just because Carl Orff didn't have an electric guitar doesn't mean he didn't know how to rock. The same goes for Vivaldi. That guy is METAL.

On another note, I don't really understand your argument for lyrics in another language. Just because you don't know what they're saying doesn't mean they can't possibly be expressing concrete ideas. I've known people who like to listen to things in other languages or watch foreign movies just because it makes them feel sophisticated and superior to everyone else. I certainly hope you're not one of those people.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtog
Mars, The Bringer of War = Metal
Carmina Burana = Metal
Song of Storm and Fire = Metal

Just because Carl Orff didn't have an electric guitar doesn't mean he didn't know how to rock. The same goes for Vivaldi. That guy is METAL.
Okay, if you're just going to use it as a complement, go right ahead.....

(BTW, my favorite is Bach. Toccata and Fugue in D minor for the win!!!!!!!!!)
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
What I'm saying is that if you view those songs in modern terms (well the first two, since Song of Storm and Fire is pretty recent), they can easily be considered metal.

By the way, Melissa Cross is a vocal coach who has taught many screamers such as Randy Blythe (Lamb of God), Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), Philip Labonte (All That Remains), and Brian Fair (Shadows Fall) that heavily stresses enunciation. I've seen clips of her DVD and she's very serious about people being able to understand you when you scream. It shows when you listen to any of the above listed bands. They are screaming their heads off, but they're still easy to understand. I suggest anyone that doubts the connection between classical and metal to check out Melissa Cross. She knows what she's talking about.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Free has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre
BTW, my favorite is Bach. Toccata and Fugue in D minor for the win!!!!!!!!!)
Now yer rockin'!!!

Welcome to the Headbangers Ball, Pyre

Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:38 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Headbanging gives me a headache.... I stick with a maniacal smile while listening to it.
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM

tvar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I just wanted to agree with Billtog that saying you only like lyrics in another language (like Latin or Italian) is an arbitrary distinction. Musically, the language shouldn't matter one iota, unless of course you want to understand the lyrics, in which case lyrics in a language you understand are usually best.

Personally I like songs with both lyrics with long instrumental portions. I'm a huge prog rock fan, so I'm thinking of songs like Supper's Ready by Genesis, and Close to the Edge by Yes. Bringing this back to metal I am thinking of songs like Octovarium and The Enemy Within by Dream Theater (James LaBrie, the singer, is opera trained), and Divine Wings of Tragedy and The Odessey by Symphony X (Michael Romeo, the guitarist, is classically trained).
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Lord Pyre, yes, you need to stay out of politics.
I understand that you have a creative ability to see with music in your mind's eye that is interfered with by lyrics. To relate, I can see an intense set of images with Metallica's instrumental, Kall of Ktulu. I even wrote a poem describing what I see. Other than the fact that I put it into rhyme, I believe my poem is no different than your description of that Russian composer's piece about oppression in the Soviet Union. I say that because you used words to describe what you saw and felt, in case I was unclear in my last sentence.

Understand that these words are NOT meant to be put to music. They are not in step with the song at all, so don't try to sing them! I will give just the first part (the first two lines describe the intro, and the second two represent when the base line comes in):

Ethereal raindrops sing upon the spectral wind
Cadence to the madness; let the dance begin!
Slow pondering, gigantic legs tramp through caverns cold
Phantasms ride air charged with death, awaking beasts of old

Aw, what the heck, here's the rest! :P

Formless blobs of blasted flesh amble through the dark
Spindle shapes with flailing limbs, exposed and beating hearts
Faceless laughter, madness raging through the shrieking horde
Naked, phosphorescent fiend leads them screaming to their lord

Wave after wave, the writhing mass surges through tunnels deep
Feasting on each other’s flesh, a frantic pace they keep
Absu’s claws embedded in their brains and in their souls
Insatiable, their lust for death drives them to its holes

Flying demons thin their ranks, dripping fangs of ice
Ichor spilt, stone is burnt; death will not suffice!
Pleas for mercy escape the lips of half-devoured masochists
Others laugh with madness as they are eaten by the ravenous

Airborne squadrons of the damned, looping to the beat
Thrashing chains of rabid demons maddened by the heat
Scale clad, tailed and horned; taloned, fanged and winged
Disemboweling as they go, viscera glistening

Old December 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
...has moist legs

So, music to me is like poetry to you. The words I only used to explain a little of what I feel, and you must know that everything I wrote still doesn't cover all of it.

And for lyrics in other languages? The human voice is beautiful. Just having the voice complements the music very well. (Usually, you know what I mean. Everything doesn't work everywhere) But in my opinion, as I made myself all-too-clear, lyrics restrain the music. But having the voice there, if sung right, is beautiful. O Fortuna for example. You don't know what it means, but you know it's a cool song. (Unless you know Latin, of course) After you research the lyrics, you can see what they're getting at, though.

I, for one, only research lyrics in non-english music if I'm curious about what the song's really about.

And Taeblewalker, nice poem. (As far as I can tell... Hehe....)
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM

jaques has disabled reputation
Quote:
O Fortuna for example. (As far as I can tell... Hehe....)
This isn't my favorite Therion album, but you might want to check out the samples.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Do you read books full of blank pages too?
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:56 PM

tvar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
You don't know what it means, but you know it's a cool song. (Unless you know Latin, of course)
So if you knew Latin, you couldn't enjoy O Fortuna? It would cease being cool?
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:17 AM
...has moist legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvar
Quote:
You don't know what it means, but you know it's a cool song. (Unless you know Latin, of course)
So if you knew Latin, you couldn't enjoy O Fortuna? It would cease being cool?
I know the translations, yet I still know the song. I still think of it as just being music, though, and not an opera.

And, Jaques, perhaps I never said this.... But There's something about rock(Or metal)/choir/and orchestrated that appeals to me. That CD I really liked. Have you ever heard One-winged Angel? It probably another one of my favorite songs....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s&feature=related

Tell me what you think....

And Onacara, you may stop trying to insult me. It's getting rather old rather fast.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General