Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Finn the Viking Champion

The Book of Finn the Viking Champion
Rise of the Valkyrie - Master Set

Spoiler Alert!
If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Bold, brash, commanding Finn, brother of Thorgrim, is well respected as a spirited warrior and an inspiring leader. When Jandar rescued Finn from the Dreadguls and brought him to Valhalla, he gave him the indestructible Sword of Guether. Drawing power from this wondrous weapon, friendly forces fighting beside Finn increase their strength several-fold. Finn's swordsmanship is solid, but not supreme. It is his sheer fearlessness and denial of death that binds and motivates his followers. So transcending is Finn's charisma that if he perishes, it is rumored that his spirit will live on inside of them, inspiring them to fight with even greater ferocity. (Hasbro)
    No, because the figure has a range >1. (Hasbro FAQ)

- WARRIOR’S ATTACK SPIRIT 1 : Which Unique Army Card
    For Warrior’s Attack Spirit 1, it just says “place this figure on any unique
    Army Card”. Can I place Finn on any unique Army Card in the game (including my opponent’s), on any friendly card, or
    only my own unique Army Card?

You may place Finn on any unique Army Card that is in play. It can be a friendly Army Card, or an opponent’s
    Army Card. (Hasbro FAQ)

- WARRIOR’S ATTACK SPIRIT 1 : Optional Ability
    Do you have to place Finn on a Unique Army Card once he is destroyed, or is Warrior’s Attack Spirit 1 an optional ability?
    It is an optional ability. You are not forced to help your opponent’s figures. (Hasbro FAQ)

- ATTACK AURA 1 : Friendly Figures
    What figures are considered friendly?
    Per the Master Set rules (page 9) friendly figures are your own figures and teammate’s figures. All figures you control
    are always considered friendly. Whenever you are allied with a teammate at the beginning of a scenario, any
    figures you both control are considered friendly. A temporary alliance between opponents during a battle doesn’t change
    anything. Remember, alliances can always change (unless stated at the beginning of a scenario), so even when you
    have a temporary truce with an opponent, that opponent’s figure is never considered friendly. (Hasbro FAQ)

- WARRIOR'S ATTACK SPIRIT 1 : Placing Destroyed Finn on Cards Whose Units ARE NOT on the Board
    Can I place Finn's "Warrior's Attack Spirit 1" on the Airborne Elite Army Card even though the Airborne Elite have not yet Dropped?
    Yes, you can place it on any unique army card, yours or your opponents, on the battlefield, or not. This includes the Airborne
    Elite before they drop as well as the Retchets. HOWEVER. You do not get to use any of the special powers on that Army Card
    if the order marker is turned over and they are not on the board. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - KNIGHTS OF WESTON / MAC DIRK WARRIORS : Human Champion Bonding
    As a Human Champion, Finn the Viking Champion may benefit from Knights of Weston and Mac Dirk Warriors HUMAN
    CHAMPION BONDING activation bonus

Synergy Benefits Offered

- ATTACK AURA 1 : Adjacent Friendly Figures With a Range of 1
  • * ATTACK AURA 1 benefits all friendly units adjacent to Finn the Viking Champion with a range of 1.

- WARRIOR’S ATTACK SPIRIT 1 : Any Unique Army Card
  • * WARRIOR’S ATTACK SPIRIT 1 may benefit any unique army card still in play.

- 4th MASSACHUSETTS LINE : Valiant Army Defense Bonus
  • Having a Valiant personality, Finn the Viking Champion may aid the 4th Massachusetts Line with their VALIANT ARMY
    DEFENSE BONUS
    *NOTE: See The Book of 4th Massachusetts Line for proper application.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Power Rankings

Jexik: Finn the Viking Champion- Gilbert hurt Finn’s worth, but the original knight champion still sees play from time to time. B+

OEAO: B+

Cleon: Tier 7 (53/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B+

Master Index
Unit Strategy Review

Last edited by superfrog; March 15th, 2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: vc added
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Aranas has disabled reputation
Re: The Book of Finn the Viking Champion

Quote:
- ATTACK AURA 1 : Adjacent Ranged Unit Attacking Engaged Figure
Can Finn's Attack Aura affect a figure you control that has a range >1 if that figure is attacking an adjacent figure?
No, because the figure has a range >1. (Hasbro FAQ)
Remember that despite the fact that Finn's Attack Aura 1 Special Power can only be use to boost adjacent friendly figures with a range of 1, once dead, the spirit of Finn (Warrior's Attack Spirit 1) CAN boost unique ranged figures or squads.

As an example, Krav Maga agents adjacents to Finn would not get the bonus even if attaking adjacent ennemy figures. But, once Finn is dead, his spirit can give the Krav Maga agents (a unique squad) a +1 attack.

Aranas

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Hey newbies, remember that Finn only boosts melee troops while he's alive! Remember that! Remember! Don't forget! I can't add enough exclamatory sentences here!!!!!! He's only capable of helping a ranged unit when he's dead!
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Power Ranking
Finn the Viking Champion- Gilbert hurt Finn’s worth, but the original knight champion still sees play from time to time. B
Finn is still cheaper than Gilbert though, and I just love carrying Finn with Theracus or Brunak, mainly Theracus... I mean, who cares if you lose your 40 point guy and who cares if Finn dies (because only then can he nasty up the Krav or something along those lines - something Gilbert also cannot do)

And if you're playing with teammates, have your teammate draft Finn so you can spend more points on Venoc Warlord (and might as well grab Aubrien Archers and/or Vipers)
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Bl00DDeMoN has disabled reputation
Because of wrong translation on the army card into dutch I have been playing wrong with Finn for a month.

In dutch it clearly states that he has an warrior defense spirit instead of warrior attack spirit.
I can tell you, you play a whole different game then.

Thanks to the helpfull unit index at this forum I saw there were more wrong translations, so thanks for that.

My map creations

"Bravery calls my name
In the sound of the wind in the night
My sword will drink blood
And I will fight, Yes I will fight
In the dawn of battle"
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I like Finn; I'm surprised he's only got a handful of posts. He's my number one choice with the Knights of Weston (Although I don't have Alastair or Gilbert). Sometimes I stick him or Eldgrim on an important Glyph. I've contemplated doing the same with Krug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:40 AM

eScape Artist has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
What exactly does this clarification mean?
Quote:
Can I place Finn's "Warrior's Attack Spirit 1" on the Airborne Elite Army Card even though the Airborne Elite have not yet Dropped?
Yes, you can place it on any unique army card, yours or your opponents, on the battlefield, or not. This includes the Airborne Elite before they drop as well as the Retchets. HOWEVER. You do not get to use any of the special powers on that Army Card if the order marker is turned over and they are not on the board.
How does Finn's power have anything to do with the army card's special powers or order markers? I don't see what the big HOWEVER is getting at.
I think it's trying to say that even though you can put Finn on the AE or the Rechets when they aren't in play, you still can't use them... Seems pretty obvious that you can't do that though.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Orwald is surprisingly tart

yeah im from belgium and got the miss translated card 2 my brother thought the spirit was attack ( what was right ) and i said it was defense
with that i never saw finn as a threath because its hard to keep him moving with your main army (except with KoW and Mcdirck Warriors)

ps: im new here and it can happen that my english isn't correct

Last edited by Orwald; March 24th, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Timbob is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Finn is a well balanced hero. He makes an impact alive, and dead. Finn can tangle with the best of them. He belongs in tournaments, but is never there. What I don't understand is why Thorgrim, almost a mirror of Finn, is ranked so low. He could make Q9 or DW9000 even more devestating forces.
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
Finn is a well balanced hero. He makes an impact alive, and dead. Finn can tangle with the best of them. He belongs in tournaments, but is never there.
Finn appears rarely at events for a few reasons. Sir Gilbert does the same things in life, plus he helps the knights movement, which is a geat benefit. As for the attack spirit, most of the multiple attackers in the game rely on special attacks, so only a few options (KMA being the most obvious one) can really make Finn's spirit a game-changer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
What I don't understand is why Thorgrim, almost a mirror of Finn, is ranked so low. He could make Q9 or DW9000 even more devestating forces.
I actually agree that Thorgrim seems about as good as Finn, particularly given that Gilbert renders the "better with the knights" argument less relevant. But Q9 and (especially) DW9k are not great places to put Thorgrim's spirit. High defense, low life figures actually get relatively little marginal benefit out of one additional defense die. Contrast that with, say, Braxas, whose 8 life points will last a lot longer by jumping from 3 defense to 4.
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Contrast that with, say, Braxas, whose 8 life points will last a lot longer by jumping from 3 defense to 4.
Or, throw it on the Izumuis or Charos and you get that much more chance to counterstrike
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Contrast that with, say, Braxas, whose 8 life points will last a lot longer by jumping from 3 defense to 4.
Or, throw it on the Izumuis or Charos and you get that much more chance to counterstrike
Neither are terrible options, but not near the top of my list. The Izumis, with only 3 life, can be brought down pretty quickly and don't give you much bang for your buck for Thorgrim's spirit. Charos certainly doesn't have that problem, but with only 1 attack per OM, I wouldn't build a strategy around feeding Thorgrim's spirit to Charos unless I was playing against a nearly all-melee army.

I break down my preferred Thorgrim options in the USR thread, here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units