Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM

Commanderlewis Woo who?
Pokescape

This is a topic for the discussion of a Pokemon to Heroscape ("Pokescape")

Here are the Members who are a part of the project:

Myself
Vilsara
White Noise
Necroblade
Tai-Pan
Warlord Alpha
NightSwipe
Sup3rs0n1c
Minimoose38 (if he wants too)

(Members get to vote on the custom cards, and will also (if they want to) get random cards assignments from me )

Have: Ideas, and more Ideas

Need: (Heroscape scale) pretty good looking (not all plasticy and cheap looking) Pokemon figures

Currently: Hashing out how powers will work, and details on the cards

Last edited by Commanderlewis; December 10th, 2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Updating post as I have time...
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:37 AM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Pokescape idea (also, Introducing myself)

Welcome to the site!

And interesting idea, a playable yet true-to-the-original wayto bring Pokemon into 'Scape. It's been a while since I've played those, but I think this is a great initial plunge into the idea!

And, this was a great place to post this.

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM

Vilsara is surprisingly tart

Great, someone stole my idea (Facepalm).

Seems like a great idea nonetheless, I being a Pokegeek myself. The only thing I would alter is giving the PT lives since it would be unfair to have him go anywhere free of the reprecussions of death. It also brings strategy into the game, having you pressured to get to a good location without being sniped. THEN you can summon your Dragonite and have a merry ol' time.

EDIT: I'm a n00b, but I can still say it...

WELCOME to the site, Commanderlewis! (Purple and Green confetti)

Good luck with Pokescape, I'll probably be customing alonside you :P

But...

I call Absol and Kecleon! *runs*

Funny, I haven't actually posted in the main forum for a while. Shame; I really need to get back into 'Scape.

Last edited by Vilsara; December 2nd, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

I never played Pokemon but I will be interested to see how this turns out- it sounds like a good start for the concept.

and...

Welcome to the site!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM

Commanderlewis Woo who?

Thanks guys!

@Vilsara: I just dont see why the trainers should have lives, afterall, I cant think of a time when you could choose to attack the trainer and not the Pokemon, so I just figured it should be like the real thing, they just leave when their pokemon get beat.

EDIT: Oh, and you can Have Absol and Kecleon, But I get Lucario and Metagross!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

I think I have seen attempts at this before, but they didn't really seem to catch on. I used to play the games myself until I got sick of the legendary power creep and useless baby Pokemon that ran rampant in the newest incarnation. Still, it could be workable within 'Scape. A few thoughts right off the bat:

You might want to have some mechanism for evolution, since it is a central theme of Pokemon. Less evolved Pokemon could be weaker but cost fewer points than their more evolved forms. That way, you could draft a Charmander for, say, 50 points and evolve it, or if you don't want to go to the trouble of filling the requirements for evolving (perhaps EXP could be measured by wounds inflicted?) you could get a Charizard for 100.

Their normal attack could be just a generic physical attack, but then they could be given a more specific special attack that may or may not have a special secondary effect (i.e. poisoning, chance of critical hit). Psychic types may get a bit weird where their special attack would be far stronger than their normal one...

Weather effects would be interesting.

Some of the special abilities in the games might actually work fairly well in 'Scape. I could see Rough Skin working like Counterstrike, although some like Miracle Guard may have to be toned down a bit.

Perhaps TMs/HMs could be implemented in a manner similar to the equipment cards in this thread, where they would give your Pokemon another special ability/attack?

If we actually made a fairly good number of these customs, it'd be interesting to make a campaign simulating the actual game (in a new region, of course. The maps in the games are based on grids, and it'd be kind of difficult to fit them into a hex-based game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM

Commanderlewis Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I think I have seen attempts at this before, but they didn't really seem to catch on. I used to play the games myself until I got sick of the legendary power creep and useless baby Pokemon that ran rampant in the newest incarnation. Still, it could be workable within 'Scape. A few thoughts right off the bat:

You might want to have some mechanism for evolution, since it is a central theme of Pokemon. Less evolved Pokemon could be weaker but cost fewer points than their more evolved forms. That way, you could draft a Charmander for, say, 50 points and evolve it, or if you don't want to go to the trouble of filling the requirements for evolving (perhaps EXP could be measured by wounds inflicted?) you could get a Charizard for 100.

I was thinking that the weeker Pokemon (Unevolved/Single form) would be much less expencive to draft, and the Evolved ones would cost more.
But I was thinking we would go by the games, and not the TV show, (No Ash, but we get Red) so I was not really wanting to make them able to evolve during gameplay. I was thinking that on the card it would show what their' level was, but it would just stay at that level, to make it easy to weave into Heroscape.

Their normal attack could be just a generic physical attack, but then they could be given a more specific special attack that may or may not have a special secondary effect (i.e. poisoning, chance of critical hit). Psychic types may get a bit weird where their special attack would be far stronger than their normal one...

I was thinking that they would have a normal attack stat, but that it would be their PHYSICAL strength (as you said) but then give each pokemon 1-4 powers. A card would look like (for example)

Charmander
Level 7

Pokemon-----------Ember: Range 4, Attack 3
Common Hero-------If you cause 1 wound or more on an
Fire----------------enemy figure, with the Ember attack,
(Nature)-----------roll the 20 sided die, if you roll 1-13, they
Small 3------------take damage as normal, if you roll 14 or higher
-------------------put a burn marker on that card.

Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 2 (think Scratch)
Defence: 3
?? Points

pretty much the same as a normal card, just with a Pokemon feel

Weather effects would be interesting.

As in sandstorm and blizzard? ooo... I'm like'in the sound of that

Some of the special abilities in the games might actually work fairly well in 'Scape. I could see Rough Skin working like Counterstrike, although some like Miracle Guard may have to be toned down a bit.

Miracle guard was on only 1 Pokemon (if you dont count Hacks) and I think we could just give Shedinja (or is it Ninjask?) like 10 defence or something

Perhaps TMs/HMs could be implemented in a manner similar to the equipment cards in this thread, where they would give your Pokemon another special ability/attack?

How about we replace Glyphs with Tm's? but they last for only one use, that could get interesting

If we actually made a fairly good number of these customs, it'd be interesting to make a campaign simulating the actual game (in a new region, of course. The maps in the games are based on grids, and it'd be kind of difficult to fit them into a hex-based game).
Coments are in Navy.

YES! That would be awesome.

My goal with this thread is to get the ball rolling on the Pokescape idea, I dont want to make another Pokemon board/card game (we have had enough of those annoying Pokemon board/card games) yet I dont just want to take Heroscape and put Pokemon in it, I want to to blend just enough Heroscape so it still feels like the game, but yet, just enough Pokemon in it to give it the Pokemon touch

Beware... The Kitt'eh is watching...

Last edited by Commanderlewis; December 3rd, 2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I used to play the Pokemon games back in the day (you know, when there were only 150?). I've uploaded a few of the cards I've made, but I have stats written down for quite a few more. The Pokemon-style play sounds interesting, but I've developed my cards to be played like normal HS (though from the sound of it they'd work in your variant just fine).

Here was my take on Charmander.

CHARMANDER (Points???)
Life 2; Move 5; Range 1; Attack 3; Defense 2
EMBER SPECIAL ATTACK Range 4. Attack 3. If Charmander inflicts at least 1 wound on a Unique Hero with his Ember, roll the d20. If you roll 19 or higher, place a Burn Marker on that Unique Hero's Army Card.
SMOKESCREEN 13: Whenever Charmander is attacked with a normal attack, roll the d20. If you roll a 1-12, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 13 or higher, the attack misses.

Perhaps we could collaborate? I enjoy converting characters from other games into Heroscape stats.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:36 AM

Commanderlewis Woo who?

oh yea... I forgot to post the life on there... *facepalm*

Yeah, I like that idea (and I like that card, but I alwas thought of charmander as being the same speed through all the evolutions, 5 works, but just sayin)

My ideas, and your skill (I have seen alot of your work with the Starwarscape and Marvelscape) should be an unbeatable combo. I do have one thing I must say though... My Cpu sucks, so I dont have Photoshop, or any kind of graphic's program for that matter... so if cards are made, I wont be able to do any more then work out stats =/

Beware... The Kitt'eh is watching...
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderlewis View Post
Thanks guys!

@Vilsara: I just dont see why the trainers should have lives, afterall, I cant think of a time when you could choose to attack the trainer and not the Pokemon, so I just figured it should be like the real thing, they just leave when their pokemon get beat.

EDIT: Oh, and you can Have Absol and Kecleon, But I get Lucario and Metagross!
Still advocating for lives here. It's not that you would attack WITH the Trainer, it's just that if the Pokemon Trainer can go anywhere without dying, then all of a sudden he can get to places (height, for example) without fear of death, and then summon a high ranged Pokemon to lay waste. With lives, you'd have to semi-protect it if you want to summon your Pokemon.

*Calls Weavile*

Also, I'd like to see how many Pokemon mechanics you can implicate into this game. TMs MIGHT work, but would take a lot of playtesting to nail (though, it would be unfair if only Pokemon could learn a select special attack, 'cause I've always wanted Deadeye Dan to use Flash Cannon ). Weather would probably be a part of a scenario itself, IMO.

Of course, my advice before I go to school is to not put TOO many ideas in, since there's always a fine line to walk when you're customizing Heroscape- too many good ideas make the game cooler, but it soon becomes indistiguishable from the actual game >.>

Funny, I haven't actually posted in the main forum for a while. Shame; I really need to get back into 'Scape.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

What if, for the lives issue, you gave the trainer a certain number of lives, but if their Pokemon is within so many spaces of the trainer they cannot be attacked (i.e. the Pokemon protects them)?

Trainer to Pokemon bonding seems like a natural ability, by the way.

As for Shedinja, it could become like a Deathwalker (high defense and one life). That seems to sum its abilities up fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
What if, for the lives issue, you gave the trainer a certain number of lives, but if their Pokemon is within so many spaces of the trainer they cannot be attacked (i.e. the Pokemon protects them)?

Trainer to Pokemon bonding seems like a natural ability, by the way.

As for Shedinja, it could become like a Deathwalker (high defense and one life). That seems to sum its abilities up fairly well.
But Shedinja may be challenging to build since it floats. It's not out of the picture, it's just tricky- unless you have a spare Silver Surfer, or something. I might also give it a "Wonder Guard" similar to its ability that'll protect it from special attacks and certain other effects (like D20 deaths).

The Pokemon protection is a great idea- nothing more to say since you've summed it up well.

I actually thought of one final thing I should stick in your brain- however, the bus is five minutes away, so expect yet another post here in six-seven hours.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards