Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:18 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Fellow D and Ders unite!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
I actually played the Palladium RPG pretty extensively. I still think it is the best ever. I just sold my last book a few weeks back and it was definately a sad moment.

I played quite a bit of Rifts. While I did love it, the sheer number of books and rules sometimes was mind boggling. Not to mention the ridiculous damage potential (a kajillion tetratrillion zillion megananoultrabillion points of damage and you are not only dead but erased from existence since 5 years ago) Phew. Though I still treasure my character sheet for Benimaru the cyber samurai, I loved that crazy guy. Besides, it took me like 2 sessions to fully write him up and maybe another ten to fully understand what all he could do, he had technology up the you know what. As a matter of fact, he could do so many things I would often get stuck, unable to act because I couldn't decide what super weapon to use or what gadget to activate.

Has anyone read up on Pathfinder? I downloaded the book and it loked pretty cool.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've downloaded the pathfinder book as well. It looks really good, but I haven't been able to get myself together to organize a game (or get the spells actually printed out. The network at work is not very friendly towards pdfs.) But other than when my friend initially reccomended it to me, I haven't heard anything on it.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:
Hey Dennys - have you ever played the S2 module from 1st Edition - that was my fave back in the early 80s...

I used to like D&D but I fell out of it in my late teens. I played a bit of Palladium, but after that it was all minis/vids/boardgames.
S2, was that White Plume Mountain? I enjoyed that one. I liked S1 as well, Tomb of Horrors. Never played the last one in the series.
Yep, I LOVED that one, and my favorite of all time was S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
I know that is a popular one, but I never played it. We didn't use a lot of the pre-made modules back then. I will have to give it a try sometime.
You can download it, for free, in PDF format...google it and it comes up pretty easy.
Legally for free?
I've got Tomb of Horrors in a box somewhere; we could work something out if you want it.
Only if you looking to dump it cheap. Otherwise I will probably just get the pdf from Paizo.com.
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

I have decided to start a solo campaign for my son using 4th edition. We created him a Elf Wizard last night. Since it will be a single character group I am giving him a bear companion to help him out.

I plan to do the first mini-adventure tonight. It's our first time with 4th edition so we will see how it goes.
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Well I've recently got into 4th edition, so I would imagine that you will really like it. While I'm sure your son probably wanted to play a wizard because they sounded the coolest to him, do realize that wizards are probably the worst class choice for a single person campaign. However you probably realize that, so have fun with it.

I know my group has been. 4th edition is definitely nicer if you want to have a faster and easier game of DnD than previous editions. It is also probably the easiest to learn. Hope you guys have fun!

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
Well I've recently got into 4th edition, so I would imagine that you will really like it. While I'm sure your son probably wanted to play a wizard because they sounded the coolest to him, do realize that wizards are probably the worst class choice for a single person campaign. However you probably realize that, so have fun with it.

I know my group has been. 4th edition is definitely nicer if you want to have a faster and easier game of DnD than previous editions. It is also probably the easiest to learn. Hope you guys have fun!
Wizard wasn't the best choice, but that's what he wanted. The character would really suck in melee. That is why I gave him a bear to act as his "defender." I will try to have him face lots of minions and ranged units.

The faster and easier may be true for 3rd edition, but I still think previous editions were easier to play than 4th (even if they had some funky rules).
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Germund is surprisingly tart

I've found with kids (and often adults too) that you generally have to go with where their interest lies and adapt from there. As you said, a wizard may not have been the best choice, but it was HIS choice. Adding the bear as a defender/companion may not be "orthodox" from an RPG rules perspective, but from the perspective of an RPG spirit it is great. The saying "rules are meant to be broken" is especially true for RPGs. The point of the game is the story, not the rules. Throw out what doesn't fit your story and keep or adapt from other sources what will fit.

"We have arrived at an intellectual chaos."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Great trades with: Gypsy, Archiver, Just-A-Bill
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germund View Post
I've found with kids (and often adults too) that you generally have to go with where their interest lies and adapt from there. As you said, a wizard may not have been the best choice, but it was HIS choice. Adding the bear as a defender/companion may not be "orthodox" from an RPG rules perspective, but from the perspective of an RPG spirit it is great. The saying "rules are meant to be broken" is especially true for RPGs. The point of the game is the story, not the rules. Throw out what doesn't fit your story and keep or adapt from other sources what will fit.
I completely agree.
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby!

I'm a gnome bard in a campaign who will eventually turn into a lich. I figure for role playing sake his lute would sound like an electric guitar and he'd sing in a metal growl "kill the mother******s" for his bard song. He'd also look like a gnome version of Lemmy from motorhead with the chops and hair.

Strong arms and sharp steel rule this world.
Never believe any different.
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Bones Woo who?

I started with the red books and have every edition up until 3.5... still debating on if I really "need" 4e. I loved hacking my way through Advanced with my friends. I am a card carrying member of the Steve Jackson fan-club (GURPS). I've had some wonderful times playing D&D though... all I have to say is Keep on the Borderlands... much love for those memories.

I picked up RIFTS and have loved it ever since... I have to agree with previous postings: too much damage and books. I usually scale it way back. I also like Ninja and Superspies, Heroes Unlimited, and Starwars. I currently am running a Rifts game with some of my friends. We get to play probably 3 times a year. We all live hours away from each other. It's much easier to play some roll-playing now than put together a scenario for a RPG, but I manage. Our last game, Saturday (March 7th) pitted them against a new threat... the Marro. My Marro are even tougher.

I think my favorite character I played in a campaign would have to be Magneto in the "Age of Apocalypse" comic-book theme... Each of my friends took on the role of one of the x-men and fought the big guy himself. A masterpeice of carefully crafted fun.
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you are hanging on to 3rd, look into pathfinder by paizo.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM

KRUG! knows what's in an order marker KRUG! knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys View Post
Former 1st Ed player, still have all my books, modules etc.
Me too! Have not played D and D since I think '04, a friend was runnning a 3rd Ed game. I was playing a Half-Orc fighter forced to be a Paladin. That character's actual in game last words were " Look at me while I'm killing you!" I am currently running a Star Frontiers campaign and will actually be starting up a second campaign next week. Any Star frontiers fans here?

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games