Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old October 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
LOS and Moving Question

Let's say I reveal an order marker on the Krav, and I would like to attack my opponent's Raelin, who is hiding behind Nilfheim. Is it legal to place a marker of some kind on the Krav's space, put the figure on the space to which you would like to move and check the LOS before actually moving the figure? If there is no LOS, can the Krav figure move to another space?

I guess it's a timing question - can you check LOS before you choose to end your move?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Why not?
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtog
Why not?

~Aldin, who says the move isn't over until you take your fingers off the fig (and mebbe not even then with a kind opponent)

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
My brother and I do this all the time. Its really up to you whether you can or you can't.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Depends on the situation. In a friendly game, it shouldn't matter that much but in a tournament environment I would just use some common courtesy to mitigate any issues. Until you start rolling attack dice, the active figures can be moved to different locations within their move distance. It is best (and courteous) to mark your starting position if you will be trying multiple locations so you don't forget where the figure started. You should also inform your opponent that you want to try out a few different locations as a courtesy.
I don't think removing your hand should mark the end of that figure's move since this game relies on targeting from the figures viewpoint (unlike Chess) and your hand might interfere with that. As long as you inform your opponent of your intentions, it should be fine. If your opponent gives your grief, just poke him/her in the eye.

Newb.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I've played that your moves don't become official until dice are rolled. If a swipe, engagement strike, frenzy roll, berzerker charge, etc. happens, you can't rewind back past it. Other than that, at my table it's usually your first attack that locks in your move, not taking your hand off the figure.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
I've played that your moves don't become official until dice are rolled. If a swipe, engagement strike, frenzy roll, berzerker charge, etc. happens, you can't rewind back past it. Other than that, at my table it's usually your first attack that locks in your move, not taking your hand off the figure.
Ditto.

Plus, as soon as you start to move any figure with bonding, you lose that bonding.
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Bl00DDeMoN has disabled reputation
Let's say your friend starts moving a figure and he didn't see or notice that he moved adjacent to one of your figures during his move.

What do you do then?
You just say 'ow wait I can throw a dice for leaving an engagement'? Probably the other one will just say 'ow wait I'll move differently' so you can't throw a dice. Disadvantage.

Or you wait until he rolls attack dice and then you throw your dice for leaving an engagement? The thing is, I don't really know when you throw for leaving engagement. After move or after attack? Anyway this would be in your advantage.

My map creations

"Bravery calls my name
In the sound of the wind in the night
My sword will drink blood
And I will fight, Yes I will fight
In the dawn of battle"
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl00DDeMoN
Let's say your friend starts moving a figure and he didn't see or notice that he moved adjacent to one of your figures during his move.

What do you do then?
You just say 'ow wait I can throw a dice for leaving an engagement'? Probably the other one will just say 'ow wait I'll move differently' so you can't throw a dice. Disadvantage.

Or you wait until he rolls attack dice and then you throw your dice for leaving an engagement? The thing is, I don't really know when you throw for leaving engagement. After move or after attack? Anyway this would be in your advantage.
If it's my figure doing the swiping, I wait until you count the hex that breaks engagement, and then I say, "Hang on, let me roll for the swipe..." And then, if you're one of the people I play against, you invariably say, "Oh, wait, I didn't see that, I'll do this instead!" So yes, option A is in effect at my table. I think it makes sense to see the effect of the swipe as soon as possible. And if you didn't know you were going to get swiped, you can back up and go another way.

On the other hand, if I actually do roll a skull and then you see a different, better move... sorry, too late. Your figure isn't less dead because it was operator error.
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM

jdozs has disabled reputation
this is one of the issues we have in our games consistently. common courtesy obviously applies but when it's every other turn it gets old quick. I consider picking up the attack dice as the end of movement.
If you call out who you are attacking and pick up attack dice then I will undoubtedly say wait i have to roll the leaving engagement strike. If you say oh I didn't see that I say tough you ended your movement when you picked up the attack dice and implied the beginning of the attack phase of your turn.
As for the LOS thought I would suggest that you take time into consideration. It's not illegal to move your figures around and check los as you go it is just a common courtesy thing to not spend a half hour doing it.
Wouldn't a chess clock be an interesting way to play this game?

There is no reason to chastise me. I will beat myself with a stick later.
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Embraces the Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdozs
Wouldn't a chess clock be an interesting way to play this game?
I wonder how much of an effect that would have on units like the shotgunners, Airborne Elite, and Einar Imperium that have the potential to sometimes need a lot of attack rolls even when played quickly. Also, what about powers that require the active player to wait? Do I clock out each time I shoot one of your rats and then clock back in after you've used your own time to Scatter?

I agree it would be interesting, but make the time limit too aggressive, and it starts favoring some units over others in a way that I'm not sure is fair.
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:56 PM

jdozs has disabled reputation
yeah.... I haven't quite worked out the kinks for it at all. Maybe someone who has access to a chess clock should try some play testing and let us know how it went.

There is no reason to chastise me. I will beat myself with a stick later.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's