Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Christian 164 62.12%
Muslim 2 0.76%
Buddhist 3 1.14%
Hinduist 1 0.38%
Jewish 8 3.03%
Pagan 5 1.89%
Agnostic 25 9.47%
Atheist 28 10.61%
Other (please do tell) 23 8.71%
Super Atheist 5 1.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej

I vacillate between believing in an intelligent, caring God and not believing. There are times when I truly believe I feel His presence, or see His influence on my life or on the lives of others. Then there are times when my intellect rails against the concept.
Welcome aboard

Right now, I've reconciled that with a mix of faith and developing wisdom of the levels of scuminess we can achieve that counterpoint grace. Or something like that anyway.

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
I'm an Agnostic/Atheist, but I lean more towards Agnosticism. I have a severe doubt in the validity of a God... but I have the strangest feeling I'm wrong. My mind says that there is no God, but somewhere in the back of my mind, there's a little man telling me to have faith. So I'm not exactly cut & paste on the subject.

But I do say, I find most religions quite silly. So if I had more faith in God, I would probably just be a Deist, or something mellow, like Buddhist. In fact, I do have some Buddhist leanings.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Watching this thread. It is our experiences in the past several incarnations of this community, that these religion threads get out of hand eventually and need to be locked. I am considering a pre-emptive locking. I also see this thread was started not to be informational, but as a way for the original poster to express his own beliefs. I would suggest to the OP to go to the national census bureau where the accurate statistics of US religion is gathered.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
I'm an Agnostic/Atheist, but I lean more towards Agnosticism. I have a severe doubt in the validity of a God... but I have the strangest feeling I'm wrong. My mind says that there is no God, but somewhere in the back of my mind, there's a little man telling me to have faith. So I'm not exactly cut & paste on the subject.

But I do say, I find most religions quite silly. So if I had more faith in God, I would probably just be a Deist, or something mellow, like Buddhist. In fact, I do have some Buddhist leanings.

I can see a lot of this in how you lay out your posts. You seem to be very well educated, or at least, are willing to educate yourself on a subject before you make a concrete descision. It's good to see that you decided to post in this thread,

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
Re: What is your religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorgophlats
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13
I'm an atheist myself.
But I still have my faith in something more. I do believe in the universe being billions of years old, evolution, and a higher power directing it all. I haven't yet meet a true athiest (one who identifies himself as one).
Merriam-Webster
Main Entry: athe·ist
: one who believes that there is no deity

Main Entry: ag·nos·tic
1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

I personally identify myself as an athiest. But the reality is that most atheists are, atleast partly agnostic at heart. Since there is really no such thing as 100% I will say that I am 98% atheist and 2% agnostic. The 2% is realization that it is possible that the FSM is real.

I don't view the fact that I would call my self an atheist agnostic as making me any less of an atheist anymore than you calling yourself a protestant christian would make you any less of a christian.

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Watching this thread. It is our experiences in the past several incarnations of this community, that these religion threads get out of hand eventually and need to be locked. I am considering a pre-emptive locking. I also see this thread was started not to be informational, but as a way for the original poster to express his own beliefs. I would suggest to the OP to go to the national census bureau where the accurate statistics of US religion is gathered.
I hate it when I try and regulate a thread only to find out that my post was the last one on the page and was seen for only a split second

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
GB, I'd understand if you locked the thread, especially if you've seen previous ones get out of hand. The last thing we need is more kvetching.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
After witnessing what happened with the Jerry Falwell and homosexuality discussions, I have to concur with your concerns. We're already seeing the seeds where these problems bloom where it goes beyond "I believe in X" to "I believe in X, so why do you believe in Y?"

I'm personally fascinated by this topic, but I'll seek other sources to satisfy those interests.

-David
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
Re: What is your religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorgophlats
Personally, I'm a Protestent Christian Nondenominational (I think I just denominated myself).

Quote:
I'm an atheist myself.
I don't hate or dislike you for your choice. Actually, I can understand why you've choosen your path in life. I can see where many ideas in the bible might have come from world misunderstanding and exageration. But I still have my faith in something more. I do believe in the universe being billions of years old, evolution, and a higher power directing it all. I haven't yet meet a true athiest (one who identifies himself as one). I am curious as to how you came to your decision.

Quote:
I like to promote rational thought wherever I can. I'm young now, but I plan to get more involved in my atheism later.
My understanding is that atheism is the belief that religion isn't real, and there is nothing after death. I'm not sure how you can get more involved. Maybe I missed something. Please explain. I am truly curious and not out to condemn you in any way.

Also, don't try to convert me into atheism, and I won't try to convert you. Only a shared discussion about beliefs. Deal?
Well, my transition from theism to atheism was very slight. I was taught at an early age about the "facts" of Christianity, about Jesus and all that great stuff. However I never went to church or read the Bible. In my middle school and high school years I looked into Paganism a big, but it seemed those people were just... a little bit out there. I did my research a bit on older religions, and the similarities of them to modern ones. Granted, I am in no way a scholar, and I really have been focusing more on Christianity (because it's the most popular religion in the U.S.)

Atheism basically means that I don't have a belief in any gods. I'm also agnostic in a sense in that I lack knowledge. You could call me agnostic atheist.

As for my involvement, I want to get involved with some politics. Nowadays there are many issues in America that are tied with religion such as abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research, intelligent design in classrooms, prayer in schools, etc. I'd like to make our presence known basically.

Anyway Grungebob, if you want to close down this topic then that's fine. True I want to talk about my beliefs (or lack of rather), but I'd like to hear about others' as well. As for conversion, well I doubt anyone would get converted by reading a short post on a message board for a children's board game.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
What's with all the talk of locking this thread??? This thread can't be locked.

We have this!

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Yeah, I don't think this thread needs to be locked. Yet.

Anyways, I am one of those darn blue and true Mormons. (And yes, we are Christians.)

Perhaps I can find a less provocative subject out of this.

For all members of this thread, what would you say that your level of religious education is? Today Religion is one of the driving factors in not just America, but in the whole world. Books like the Bible and Koran have stayed on the International bestsellers list for years, statesmen often make decisions based on their religious beliefs, and wars are fought of religious differences. Personally, I believe that knowledge of world religions is just as important as knowing world history or geography.

So, what would you say you know about Religion?

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Zorgophlats knows what's in an order marker Zorgophlats knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
So, what would you say you know about Religion?
Philosophicaly speaking, I know enough to know that I know nothing. Not a joke.

Last edited by Zorgophlats : Prenember 86th, 2079 at 42:96 ZM. Reason: enasni eht stalhpogroz
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General