Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs
Official Rules and FAQs Compilation and discussion of AotP Rules and Frequently Asked Questions.

Notices

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Scapecon 2021 Main Event Champion

Major Q23 knows what's in an order marker Major Q23 knows what's in an order marker Major Q23 knows what's in an order marker
Re: AotP Question Dump

1)Can I play an Enchantment card on a squad that hasn't been summoned yet?

2)The blue card "Unsummon" says "Return that squad to its owner's reserve", can that squad then be resummoned? If so, the same way that a normal creature is summoned?

Don't cry because the tournament is over, smile because it happened
Old August 6th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

1) There is nothing in the rules saying you can't.

2) Yes, you can only summon units in your reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 7th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Q23 View Post
1)Can I play an Enchantment card on a squad that hasn't been summoned yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
1) There is nothing in the rules saying you can't.
Except for a question of whether an unsummoned squad is in play and thus available to be targeted. I would tend to look at both the HS and MtG rules and say that it is extremely unlikely that an Enchantment can be played on a card that it not yet summoned.

~Aldin, edgily

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:30 PM

jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby!

The fact that the game has a distinct "reserve" zone where squads begin the game and go back to if Unsummoned (etc.) suggests to me that you probably can't interact with things in that zone in the same way as you can with squads on the board. How would Dark Harvest even work, for example?
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Makes sense to me. I wouldn't permit it in our home game, and I expect that the official ruling will be the same. No casting on non-existent squads. Can you imagine throwing spells on your *opponent's* non-existent squads? I don't think so.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 8th, 2015, 03:49 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Played our first game tonight. Didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped simply because of the strange wording on most of the spell cards. When the word "target" comes up, is that the same thing as saying the word "chosen"? As a Heroscape player, when I see "target" I immediately start thinking "in range" and "in line of sight". But after looking over all of the spell cards, some use "target" on cards as well as figures, and you certainly don't need "line of sight" on a card.

Take "Talent of the Telepath" for example. It says:
Play target sorcery from an opponent's graveyard. Then return that sorcery to its owner's graveyard.

You obviously don't target a sorcery spell card like you target a figure. So I guess the above could also be written like this:
Choose a sorcery spell card from an opponent's graveyard. Play that sorcery and then return the card to the opponent's graveyard.

However, take "Circle of Flame" for example. It says:
Deal 1 damage to target figure adjacent to a figure you control that has one or more damage markers.

I don't believe it means some figure within Chandra's range and line of sight. I assume it means it could be anywhere on the battlefield. The wording on this is so horrible, it needs a total rewrite. Maybe something like this:
Choose a figure that is adjacent to a figure you control with one or more damage markers on it. Deal 1 damage to the chosen figure.

If the word "target" is a term used in Magic that is synonymous with the word "choose" or "chosen", then I plan to get out a bunch of little post-its and reword most of these spell cards once I'm sure how each one of them works.
Old August 8th, 2015, 04:16 AM

jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby!

Magic uses both "target" and "choose" with different rules and effects applying to each. Generally, a spell or effect that does something to a creature, player, etc. will require you to select your target when you announce the spell. The wording in Arena seems to reflect this.

Of note, some cards in Magic will use language "choose a creature... ." This is distinct from targeting. The distinction matters when abilities like Hexproof come into play. Hexproof is an ability that prevents the card having it from becoming the target of a spell or ability that is controlled by another player. Hexproof thus prevents a spell that requires selection of targets, but would not prevent that card from being "chosen" per the rules text of some other card.

This might sound odd, but it makes sense in the context of the game. The vast majority of spells use the "target" language; for example, the red spell Lightning Bolt reads "Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player." An example of a card that requires the player to choose rather than target would be the creature Clone, which asks the caster to "...Choose a creature card on the battlefield" that Clone will then become a copy of.

The use of different terms is not unintentional, but a concerted design decision that allows creation of spells that can circumvent targeting issues.

It is not surprising that they chose to mirror the language here, given that this is a Magic product, at least nominally.

So to address your last point, "target" and "choose" are not interchangeable terms in MtG, but are quite similar. I do agree that some of the cards could have been worded more carefully, even if they wanted to stay within the Magic rules structure. Misdirection is particularly vexing because it has some interactions that don't make sense from the card game rules point of view.
Old August 8th, 2015, 06:31 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

jwsanner2,

Although I don't know MTG (and won't have my AotP game until next Thursday), I'm very glad for experienced players who can help us out here. So we have an extra resource to draw on when trying to figure things out, and that's very good! Thanks to you and all MTG players in the future for your input.
Old August 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsanner2 View Post
Magic uses both "target" and "choose" with different rules and effects applying to each. Generally, a spell or effect that does something to a creature, player, etc. will require you to select your target when you announce the spell. The wording in Arena seems to reflect this.
Targeting in HS means something similar. Take the Nakita Agents' Smoke Powder ability for example:
When any Nakita Agent you control, or any figure you control that is adjacent to any Nakita Agent you control, is targeted for a normal attack from a non-adjacent opponent, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, all Nakita Agents you control, and all figures you control that are adjacent to those Nakita Agents, no longer have any visible hit zones for the duration of the targeting figure's hero's or squad's turn. (Bolding is my own wording based on a clarification in the HS FAQ.)
So we declare which figure is targeting (will be attacking) the non-adjacent opposing figure first, which gives the opponent the chance to counter the attack before any combat dice are rolled.

It sounds like in AotP, we have figures targeting other figures (HS style with checking range and line-of-sight), and spell cards targeting both figures and other cards. The BIG question is, by DEFAULT, does the attacking player's Planeswalker figure need to be in range of a figure being targeted by a spell card, when the card doesn't specify?

Take the "Corrupt" spell for example. It says:
Deal 1 damage to target creature within 5 clear sight spaces of a black Planeswalker you control. Remove 1 damage marker from the Planeswalker.
Here it specifies a range of 5 spaces, so no confusion.

However, going back to "Circle of Flame" which says,
Deal 1 damage to target figure adjacent to a figure you control that has one or more damage markers.
I assume it means Chandra does not need to be in range of this "target figure" that's about to get 1 damage; it could be anywhere on the battlefield, yes? If so, it should say:
Deal 1 damage to target figure, anywhere on the battlefield, that's adjacent to a figure you control with one or more damage markers.

One more question; above, you said "...will require you to select your target when you announce the spell". Do you always have to announce what the spell is/does? Or could I say something like "I'm targeting this card/figure" (Imagine my finger pointing at the target.) "of yours, with this spell card here in my hand." (Imagine my finger pointing at a card in my other hand without saying anything else about it.)
Old August 8th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

By default, a spell affects anywhere in play.

When you play a spell, you play it face-up so all can read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 8th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

1. Are there any double-spaced figures besides the Firecats?

2. Is there any rule against using creatures or spells that don't match your Planeswalker's Color?
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:12 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

@Anitar
1. No, not currently

2. The Rulebook says that Planeswalkers can only summon/cast spells and figures that have the same manna symbol and/or color.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs