Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old April 21st, 2013, 05:47 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Solitary added 6/2! UM's maps!

Welcome, all, to my first thread here on scapers! I have between 2-3 of each terrain set in my collection, so I have been playing around with virtualscape.

So, tell me how awesome these maps are, and how spectacular your battles were when you played on them!
-------------------------------------------------------------
4/21/13:
Jalapeno Hill
1 RotV, 1 VW

-This map is not anything special to me other than being the first map I completed on VS.
--------------------------------------------------------------
4/21/13:
Marsh Manor
1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ

---------------------------
7/5/13:V2!
Marsh Manor V2
1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ

Heh... I had an edited version of MM that wasn't uploaded when I finished it a while ago..... Anyway, I attempted to make the highest road spaces a little less overpowered by moving the bushes that were there down to the glyph in the swamp, and changed wannok to gerda glyph, I feel like wannok wasn't enough to draw action to that spot. Added a couple castle walls as LOS blockers too.
---------------------------------------------------------------
4/22/13:
Polar Bear Swim
1 RotV, 1 Marvel, 1 TT

-I find it hard to make good use of the Marvel set. I tried to put a fun twist on it. This map uses the black asphalt terrain as trampolines, which grant figures the ability to "fly" for one turn. The warehouse looks a little out of place, but it works for me.
4/26/13:
Gangplank Gang Up
1 RotV, 1 Rttff

-A small map for those times you need to play a quicker game. I have a scenario included where victory can be claimed by being the only person with a figure on the bridge.
4/26/13:
Talreg Mountain
3 RotV, 2 Rttff, 1 TT

-I used this map to introduce a few of my relatives to Heroscape. This map is loosely based on another map that I think was called tower of power. I'm not sure who/where I got it from, but I wish to extend some credit to them. A bigger map for up to 6 players with about 200 pts each.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on 4/26/13. Edited on 5/2/13:
Wellspring of Contortion
1 RotV, 1 SotM, 1 TJ

-A map featuring a corrupted wellspring that can damage figures that enter its waters. EDITED 5/2/13: Moved the ruins onto the 24 hex swamp pieces, I just didn't like them plain as they were. Also moved glyphs, jungle bushes, and replaced a couple of swamp water tiles for water tiles.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
5/14/13:
Blue Fork
1 RotV, 1 BftU

-This is my first intentional attempt to make a bilaterally symmetric map. I like the idea of the forking river that kind of separates the map into two areas, the shadow area with Gerda, and the upper dungeon level with the treasure glyphs. Very tempting to go for those treasure glyphs with a hero early on with the start zones set up as they are!
Two notes for this map: The map is supposed to support 400-600 pt armies, and when the treasure glyph trap is set off, the hero does not take leaving engagement attacks when moved!
------------------------------------------------------------------
5/14/13:
Black Fork
2 BftU, 1 RttFF

-This map is actually a slightly inverted version of Blue Fork with more LOS blockers. Instead of having a river, there is a fork of shadow tiles. This map is not 100% symmetrical, but it is so close I don't think it really makes enough of a difference for either side. I can imagine Darrak Ambershard and Deepwyrm Drow doing pretty well on this map because it's almost completely covered with dungeon and shadow.
--------------------------
5/22/13: V2!
Black Fork V2
2 BftU, 1 RttFF

I made a few changes to Black Fork. The two most noticeable things are probably the changes in start zones and road placement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
7/7/13:
Puddle Jumping
1 RotV, 1 TJ

The name of this map was inspired by my wife, who likes to find huge puddles of water to jump into when/after it rains. Yes, she literally tries to stomp as hard as she can to splash water everywhere. I tried to simulate heavy rain by forcing players to put water tiles down at the end of every round.
I played this map with my brother in law, I used Charos, greenies x3, and guilty mcreech and he used Rae, Deathstalkers x2, and I think a werewolf lord. In short, I picked up a defense +1 treasure glyph with Charos early on, and via counterstrike, wounded WL for 2-3 of his wounds and killed 1-2 stalkers throughout the game. Guilty (who never moved the whole game) was completely surrounded by water (like 8-9 tiles worth) by the end of the game.

Also, you can watch a Youtube video of a battle on this map between my wife and I here!
Featuring C3G's Thor!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

2/6/14:

This one isn't exactly a map, but it's a turn based map building system that I've used a few times. The file is from virtualscape. It gets players actively involved in map building, although it can take a little time to complete. Thanks much to LUCKE13 for the original idea!

brandonwiker's turn based map building

I'm copying a post I put in another thread, these are some pics I have of maps that some of the guys and I have built using this system!

Using this system could probably lead to way crazier maps, but the guys that I play with generally try to keep things fair. Here are a few!

This is a three player map, btw

Anyone who has the time should seriously give this a shot! And take pictures of the map that comes out of this process!

---------------------------------------------

3/1/14:
Fry's Road
1 RotV, 1 TJ, 1 RttFF

The inspiration for the name of this map came from a street called Fries rd. about 35 minutes from where I live. It's so weird, I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of fast food restaurants on that road, too.

----------------------------------------------
4/12/14: Fry's Road V2!
1 Rotv, 1 Tj, 1 Rttff

I spent some time playing with Fry's road, I wasn't happy with the sides of the map, and the lack of elevation change throughout the map, really. I ended up scrapping that map completely and creating a new one! It uses the same terrain sets, and a similar (but not identical!) treasure glyph trap. I may also throw up a version that does not use the jungle set... I feel like it would work.
-----------------------------------------------
4/20/14
Fry's Road V3: Jungle Free!
1 Rotv, 1 Rttff

Didn't take me very long to reconfigure it to exclude the jungle set! Ok, 8 days is kind of long, but for me, it's quick! I mostly did this for anyone who doesn't have the jungle set, because it IS so darn expensive to get in this post scape production era.

The build instructions are extremely close to V2, but I did bump a handful of things around in this version, so don't just build Fry's Road V2 and remove the jungle pieces, because it's not the same as this one!
------------------------------------------------
7/13/14:
This one uses 2 BftU and 1 TJ!
Crevice

Andy and I played a Monster Mash game (large and huge figures only) on this map already! Check the link below for the video!

Featuring VC's Vulcanmech Incendborgs AND VC's Zombie Hulks!
5-27-18
For my Scape event, I wanted a simple, yet somewhat balanced VW map that only required RotV and VW. This gave birth to a modified Dry Season:

1 RotV, 1 VW

Bake at 3:50

6-2-19
For my tournament that mixes AotP and Heroscape, I needed more maps that combined the two in a reasonably competitive fashion. This was tweaked from the original map that flameslayer93 had created.

Solitary:
1 AotP set #1
1 VW
1 RotV
+ an additional set of RotV ruins and two 24 hex rock pieces

Note: The first level is made of the AotP boards. Level 2 and up are where your actual Heroscape terrain comes in. Also, as a budget build, you can definitely put the AotP ruins in place of two of the RotV ruins, and use 24 hex grass pieces to make the map if you don't have additional RotVs.

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; November 20th, 2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!
Re: brandonwiker's map creations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
My first (and possibly only) thread! I'm pretty new to mapmaking, so I welcome any advice. I have about x2 of each terrain set in my collection so I have been playing around with virtualscape.

Excuse the poor quality of the pictures, I can't figure out how to make VS make the pics high def (the camera button for high def is blanked out/not clickable)

4/21/13:
Jalapeno Hill
1 RotV, 1 VW
I finished this map like 5 months ago. It's not anything special to me other than being the first map I completed on VS. Have yet to play on it!

4/21/13:
Marsh Manor
1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ
I've played Marsh Manor once with my wife. I had a darn good time with Cyprien versus her Nakitas. I changed the starting zones and moved a couple of the other land pieces around after that game. I haven't played on this newer version yet.
I like Marsh Manor! Nice use of the door, don't see that very often.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Excuse the poor quality of the pictures, I can't figure out how to make VS make the pics high def (the camera button for high def is blanked out/not clickable)
I suspect you're using a computer without a graphics card (and with a rather small screen, perhaps - like a netbook?).

Marsh Manor looks fun. The small footprint must lead to some pretty brutal slugfests, but you avoided a lot of pitfalls in the simple design. There's probably a way to get more out of your LoS blockers by rotating them.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
Quote:
I suspect you're using a computer without a graphics card (and with a rather small screen, perhaps - like a netbook?).

Marsh Manor looks fun. The small footprint must lead to some pretty brutal slugfests, but you avoided a lot of pitfalls in the simple design. There's probably a way to get more out of your LoS blockers by rotating them.
That's probably it, I'm on a laptop (although it's a gaming laptop!) Hmm.

Marsh Manor was fun when I played it. I'm hopefully going to test the new version myself in the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm not sure of the standard for how many LOS blockers I should be using, but I feel the map is a little crowded with LOS blockers. Should I be trying to get more out of my LOS blockers on this map? How could I do it?

I think the only thing I really would want to rotate is the hive. I know I could do a little better with it, but I also feel it's not completely necessary, either. The castle door was kind of just thrown in there for show, and I do think it looks good, but I've considered removing it many times because it grants a little bit of cover for a figure on the astrid glyph.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Re: brandonwiker's maps- 3 new maps added 4/26

I've finished two new maps in this last month!
------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Fork
1 RotV, 1 BftU

-This is my first intentional attempt to make a bilaterally symmetric map. I like the idea of the forking river that kind of separates the map into two areas, the shadow area with Gerda, and the upper dungeon level with the treasure glyphs. Very tempting to go for those treasure glyphs with a hero early on with the start zones set up as they are!
Two notes for this map: The map is supposed to support 400-600 pt armies, and when the treasure glyph trap is set off, the hero does not take leaving engagement attacks when moved!
------------------------------------------------------------
Black Fork
2 BftU, 1 RttFF

-After recently acquiring my second BftU from The CEE here on this website, I decided it was time to make a map featuring 2 BftU. After looking at Blue Fork, I really wanted to make that map with more LOS blockers. This map is actually a slightly inverted version of Blue Fork, where instead of having a river, there is a fork of shadow tiles. This map is not 100% symmetrical, but it is so close I don't think it really makes a difference for either side. I can imagine Darrak Ambershard and Deepwyrm Drow doing pretty well on this map because it's almost completely covered with dungeon and shadow.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone think either one of these maps is better than the other? I'd like to hear some opinions!

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; May 15th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:24 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: brandonwiker's maps- 2 new maps added 5/14!

Is there a way you could put an image of the map in the OP by the description? I just usually screen capture the image from VS, crop it to the map size, and add the map title and my name. It gives a good overview of the map without having to look through the build instructions.

Nice looking maps, though, from what I can tell!
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:29 PM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

I like the look of the maps, but like you I thought the Line of Sight blockers might not be enough on the first map. On Black Fork, I think the player who wins initiative gets a pretty good advantage on the Gerda glyph. A squad figure with a move of 6 placed on the road can get next to the glyph and a second figure can stand right behind him, clogging up this area before the opponent takes his first turn.

I like the other start zones in the middle of the map. As they are single spaced, it means no big nasty dragons that can really take advantage of this, and promotes some instant action.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:24 AM

@superfrog: Thanks for telling me that! I didn't know I could post those pictures. Thought I had to be site supporter to do so. Now I put pics of the maps in the OP!

@bacchus: Unfortunately, I did not see that with the 6 movement squad figs. I may spend some time editing something about the road or the start spaces and see what would be better.
As for the starting zones, Zelrig and Braxas were pretty much the two dragons that I had in my head as I was creating them. Still, DW9K and shotgun cowboys could have a good time, maybe getting 1-2 of their AoE shots in early on.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:00 AM

So... After playing a game on Black Fork with my brother in law, who spanked me with heavies and chompy, I made a few changes to Black Fork. Here it is:

Black Fork V2

The two most noticeable things are probably the changes in start zones the and road placement that bacchus pointed out.
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Charos View Post
Quote:
4/21/13:
Marsh Manor
1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ
I've played Marsh Manor once with my wife. I had a darn good time with Cyprien versus her Nakitas. I changed the starting zones and moved a couple of the other land pieces around after that game. I haven't played on this newer version yet.
I like Marsh Manor! Nice use of the door, don't see that very often.
Good to hear as I'm taking it to a tournament on Saturday!

@BW, do you have the updated version of Marsh Manor? Or is the one in the OP it?

Last edited by Sheep; June 26th, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:57 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: brandonwiker's maps- Black Fork V2 posted 5/22!

Without playing this yet, there are a few changes I would make:

Marsh Manor - HS2010's Version
Requires: 1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ

As you can see I switched the Trees and Bushes around in a different order and moved one bush on each side into the swamp. This makes the Eilan Sidhe much better on this map... which I like.

Other than that, I don't know how it would affect other units. Since you've played it, these changes may not be the best, so feel free to brush them off.

Can't wait to play on this map on Saturday! It looks great!

~HS2010, thinking if there's jungle or forest on the map, each tree/bush needs to have another tree/bush 3-5 spaces away so that the ES can use Through The Green effectively.
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!
Re: brandonwiker's maps- Black Fork V2 posted 5/22!

I got to play on Marsh Manor yesterday thanks to HS2010, and really enjoyed it. A good majority of the map was used, the road and bushes helpful but not too strong, and the glyphs were well placed. Though kind of small I felt there was plenty of tactical decision on which direction I should send my figures.

Nice work.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios