Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 12th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
I don't see any issues with how the ARV is doing things. I've used several ARV maps in tourneys before. I wouldn't use all of them, true, but then I wouldn't use all of the BoV maps either. I'm completely unfamiliar with WoS.

(Somewhere I have a spreadsheet of all the BoV and ARV maps and which ones I like, don't like, and wouldn't use under any circumstances. )
Yeah, I don't see any issues with how the ARV does things either, but the submission and acceptance process is different than what WoS is proposing. The ARV process limits the maps that can come in - which again isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. The primary purpose of the ARV has been to encourage mapmaking, which I feel it has been successful at doing.

And that's awesome that you've used several of them, and that you enjoy them! I bet I can guess though which ones you wouldn't use under any circumstance...

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Last edited by Flash_19; August 12th, 2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Uncapped pillars anyone??? ;)
Old August 12th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I'm just coming back, but it would seem that excellent ARV maps would be nominated to BoV and/or WoS.

--

I'll be honest, for all the reasons given above by DadScaper, Necro, Flash, and many others, I am thinking that the BoV might move to Legacy status. This is a hard choice, but it might make sense.

If there is anyone who feels we still need the BoV, please speak up now.
Old August 12th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would love to see this revived. I keep seeing comments about how the old BoV maps are "outdated" or not good for competitive play anymore. Can someone further explain what makes this the case? New custom units that have been created or just a general progression of certain playstyles? Or something else?

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old August 12th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Great questions. Was thinking the same thing.
Old August 12th, 2021, 05:43 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Many of the BoV maps can be abused by strong players in ways that weren’t adequately explored 10-15 years ago.

Some new units also break old maps, like single-space ranged flyers that weren’t around when Broken Skyline was inducted.
Old August 12th, 2021, 05:45 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
Or something else?
Mostly people have gotten a lot better at both building maps (note that most 'yes' votes so far to induct BoV maps into WoS have been for maps later in the BoV's lifespan), and at playing the game competitively. As such, the flaws become readily apparent in a lot of maps that were accepted into the BoV at the time.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; August 12th, 2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: t
Old August 12th, 2021, 05:57 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

An enormous amount has been learned about HOW to create a competitive Heroscape map that's dynamic, balanced, and fun. The large majority of these things were just unheard of in 2006 when the BoV launched. The history of the BoV is a history of increasingly careful and tight standards as the community expectations for what a tournament map should be got more and more stringent.
Old August 13th, 2021, 10:23 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Some new units also break old maps, like single-space ranged flyers that weren’t around when Broken Skyline was inducted.
I asked about this when the Protectors came out. Turns out they really did playtest them on Broken Skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 15th, 2021, 01:01 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
(Somewhere I have a spreadsheet of all the BoV and ARV maps and which ones I like, don't like, and wouldn't use under any circumstances. )
:
:

And that's awesome that you've used several of them, and that you enjoy them! I bet I can guess though which ones you wouldn't use under any circumstance...
Well, I haven't been particularly shy about identifying 'em, that's for sure. But, to be clear, I'm not just talking about ARV: there are BoV maps that I refuse to use as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
I'm just coming back, but it would seem that excellent ARV maps would be nominated to BoV and/or WoS.
Well, okay ... a bit weird that that old BoV maps are just okay, but old ARV maps have to be approved by the BoV to be considered good. Obviously I have no affiliation with the ARV; it just struck me as odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old August 18th, 2021, 08:57 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post

--

I'll be honest, for all the reasons given above by DadScaper, Necro, Flash, and many others, I am thinking that the BoV might move to Legacy status. This is a hard choice, but it might make sense.

If there is anyone who feels we still need the BoV, please speak up now.
Considering the other map judging efforts out there (namely the WoS), I think that retiring the BoV (or just keeping it dormant) is the right course. Having too many judging systems just leads to confusion and dilution. I think the community is small enough still that a single map judging system is still all that is needed.

Since the WoS appears to have some nice momentum and is tackling largely the same goal as the BoV, it doesn't seem to make sense to crank up the BoV and do basically the same thing they are.

But that's just my thoughts.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old August 25th, 2021, 02:29 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Thank you all for your posts and insights. Talking with the other active BoV judges, we agree that the BoV will remain dormant for now. If the need for it arises again, we will regroup and get to work.

For now, we will encourage and support the WoS, ARV, and other map-building efforts. It's great to see things active and strong maps being generated.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios