Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old June 7th, 2018, 08:07 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Heroscape/AOTP Mixed Play Rules PDF :TREX Edition 6-7-18

@lefton4ya , I was able to find one of the originals and updated the op to the verbiage of before or after move/attack. Hope that helps all you guys that use this doc. Enjoy.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 2nd, 2019, 11:16 PM
lives in a creepy house on top of a hill

Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker

I love it! It makes things so much easier. You're a brillant mad man, TREX. I appreciate you and everybody that helped.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 02:03 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phibes View Post
I love it! It makes things so much easier. You're a brillant mad man, TREX. I appreciate you and everybody that helped.
On behalf of everyone involved you're quite welcome. Hope it helps you to easily have a great time.

Old July 7th, 2019, 02:11 PM

shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker

So I’ve been playing a HS/AOTP mix for almost a year now with these rules. We’ve made some slight tweaks in my house to help speed things up. First, spells can only be cast when you turn an order marker for the PW. Same with getting a new spell from the library. Basically AOTP is like a subgame. You play HS the usual way, and when you take a turn with a PW it becomes an AOTP turn. We felt getting and casting spells every turn was slowing down the HS turns and making games run too long.

Second, we’re very careful with the wording for sorcery cards and abilities. We try to limit them for HS figures. There’s usually some debate from time to time, but basically if it says “creature you control,” it means only the summoned creatures from either side. If it says “friendly creature” or something like “all figures,” it can affect HS figures also. It’s a little tricky, but we felt HS characters become a little too weak when faced with various free damage spells. This way if you lose the PW, it’s not necessarily game over.

Other than that, these rules are spot on, and that’s after a good 50 games played like this.
Old July 7th, 2019, 03:59 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
So I’ve been playing a HS/AOTP mix for almost a year now with these rules. We’ve made some slight tweaks in my house to help speed things up. First, spells can only be cast when you turn an order marker for the PW. Same with getting a new spell from the library. Basically AOTP is like a subgame. You play HS the usual way, and when you take a turn with a PW it becomes an AOTP turn. We felt getting and casting spells every turn was slowing down the HS turns and making games run too long.

Second, we’re very careful with the wording for sorcery cards and abilities. We try to limit them for HS figures. There’s usually some debate from time to time, but basically if it says “creature you control,” it means only the summoned creatures from either side. If it says “friendly creature” or something like “all figures,” it can affect HS figures also. It’s a little tricky, but we felt HS characters become a little too weak when faced with various free damage spells. This way if you lose the PW, it’s not necessarily game over.

Other than that, these rules are spot on, and that’s after a good 50 games played like this.
Glad you like them. You are certainly getting more use out of them than myself these days. Havent pulled my AOTP out in quite some time now and only pulling out scape for rare occasions.

Old July 7th, 2019, 04:51 PM

shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Glad you like them. You are certainly getting more use out of them than myself these days. Havent pulled my AOTP out in quite some time now and only pulling out scape for rare occasions.
I never put it away. I finally got a spot where no kids or cats get to it without me, just leave it out and do a few turns or rounds or whatever I have time for. I’ve had a game going now for about a week. Some days I don’t touch it at all, some I might get a half hour. Time is a *****
Old November 13th, 2019, 03:52 AM
"like" happy

Hi anyone that follows this thread. I've made a slightly modified/updated version of these rules that I've added to my Compilation Pdf Here. I appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks.

Last edited by IAmBatman; February 14th, 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old November 13th, 2019, 04:04 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Hi anyone that follows this thread. I've made a slightly modified/updated version of these rules that I've added to my Compilation Pdf Here. I appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks.
Nice work!

I will say that the all-CAPS text is a little hard on the eyes... You could probably find a font with better readability. But other than that the formatting is pretty good. Although, at the start of the AotP rules, it says 'While Your have' instead of 'While you have'.

The actual wording is pretty solid. But as a minor nitpick, I would modify the spell card phrasing by saying "Each turn, you may play up to 3 spell cards before or after moving or after attacking."

I like that you put all of your variant rules in a single document. Although I only looked through the AotP rules specifically.

Thanks for sharing!
Old November 13th, 2019, 04:08 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Quote:
Nice work!

I will say that the all-CAPS text is a little hard on the eyes... You could probably find a font with better readability. But other than that the formatting is pretty good. Although, at the start of the AotP rules, it says 'While Your have' instead of 'While you have'.

The actual wording is pretty solid. But as a minor nitpick, I would modify the spell card phrasing by saying "Each turn, you may play up to 3 spell cards before or after moving or after attacking."

I like that you put all of your variant rules in a single document. Although I only looked through the AotP rules specifically.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the feedback. Ill get those typos fixed up. As I mentioned it is the first draft of my pdf so it is subject to a few small changes. As far as the variants in the book they are plenty tested and are great. If you didn't check out the others you are missing out.

Last edited by IAmBatman; April 13th, 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old April 14th, 2020, 10:38 AM

HeroscapeMaster is surprisingly tart

I know I'm a little late chiming in here, but I have come up with some house rules for using Planeswalkers in a Heroscape setting that seem to keep the playing field somewhat even.

Rules:Once per turn you may draw a spell card. If you started the game, you don't draw a spell card just like in Magic the Gathering game play.
When you reveal an order marker on a Planeswalker, you can move, and then take one of three actions: Cast a spell, summon a figure or squad figures, or attack.
Most of the rules from the AOTP rulebook work, as far as spell cards, and summoning creatures, but the casting three spells with one action on your turn is as broken as it gets in Heroscape game play. Activating your Planeswalker, and then being able to activate a hero figure or squad is broken. You can only activate a figure or squad figures if you put a order marker on it. When you have to cast spells, summon creatures, or attack on our turn, efficient use of your actions is critical with a Planeswalker.
Another house rule. Planeswalkers are not unique hero's. Planeswalkers are Planeswalkers. This keeps hero's in Heroscape from using their special abilities to target Planeswalkers since once an opponent takes out a Planeswalker that player is nearly dead in the water as far a casting spells and summoning creatures is concerned.

Also, look at a Planeswalkers stat card. Their attack and defenses are pretty on par with most hero figures in Heroscape as well as their abilities, so why is their point cost in the 300's. Add that 200 point spell deck and now you know why Planeswakers have such a high point cost. Take it away, their about as good as any hero in Heroscape.
When it comes to the Planeswalkers themselves, I didn't see the need to house rule any of their abilities except for two of them. However, some of the Planeswalkers abilities aren't viable unless another player is playing a Planeswaker too.

Ob Nixilis: At Any Price-Destroy target squad creatures adjacent to Ob Nixilis. It's controller draws a card. If the controller has no library, add a +2 bonus to the next initiative roll. Use this ability once per turn.

Jace, Investigator: Search for Answers-Name a sorcery and reveal the top card of an opponent's library. If it's the named card, you may play it, then return it to the top of that library afterward. If it's not the named card or you choose not to play it, put it on the bottom of that library. If the opponent has no library, at the start of the next round, after all your opponent's order markers have been placed, and before initiative is rolled, reveal all order markers on those army cards. Use this ability once per game.

Spell Cards: When it comes to spell cards you'll be able to customize them a little with the expansions that came out, but you'll also notice some only affect Planeswalkers. Some of your spells will be useless unless someone else if playing a Planeswalker too, so that helps balance things out a bit when someone is using a Planeswalker in a Heroscape game.

Reserve: Just like AOTP, Heroscape has a reserve too, it just works different as most of you know. Some Planeswalker spell cards can send a players squad figure to their reserve.

AOTP Squads: As most of you know, Planeswalker squads are all unique. This seems to limit a Planeswalkers use of some of their spells as they only affect unique squads, helping Heroscapers from having their common squads being affected.

Summoning: The biggest complaint I get from players about using Planewalkers is they can move across the battlefield and summon their army at will in your face. Well yeah, their Planeswalkers! It is an advantage for sure, but hey. If you want to summon an army at will, be a Planeswalker I say! Also, I don't let players who want to be a Planeswalker use Heroscape figures since some Planeswalker squads are so dependent on color and use of Planewalker spell cards but, you can choose any of the creatures of your Planeswalkers color from any of the AOTP expansions.

That's most of what I've done to add Planewalkers as a option for players when we play Heroscape. If anyone has any questions or any great ideas they've used to blend AOTP in with Heroscape, please speak up. Hope this is a help to someone out there that is having trouble blending these to systems together.
Old April 14th, 2020, 06:35 PM
"like" happy

@HeroscapeMaster , you may get more traffic for your idea if you post it as your own thread. This is my alternate rules thread for mixing the two. Hope your having fun mixing the two games and welcome to the site.

Old April 15th, 2020, 09:54 AM

HeroscapeMaster is surprisingly tart

Thanks! Little new here so may take me a while to find my way around.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender