Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old February 18th, 2017, 10:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

I'll say it in this thread too. Simply epic. I can't wait til you make some blanks we can get hold of and make customs with these bad boys. I wouldn't mind making a whole new set of cards with these.....and that's a lot of cards.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:35 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
*snip
I sent one of the Syvarris cards above to @dok and he did a neat test with it. There was previously some concern that these cards may not be clear as to what each thing means. He showed it to his 8-year-old, who has just started playing Heroscape (one game with full rules, several previous ones with reduced rules). The result? He correctly identified the meaning of all parts of the card, except he didn't know the general was Ullar. It seems to be doing its job. (I will see what I can do about the general).

I know the above is quite a bit to digest in one post. Sorry about that, but yeah, I'm sweating the details on the design and thanking you all in advance for your feedback on all of the changes.

Next test--creating a SQUAD card with a lot more special power text--DIVIDERS!
The front is awesome!

Can I suggest you add the General's name to the back of the card/ After planet? You already have the Ullar design on the front.

Personally I would remove the ranking, because they have been know to change (unless you are not adding customs and staying strictly within cannon) but the competitive info is great
Watch out for the characters with more synergies, that could really mess with the font on the back.

I like the coins but think the number is probably the better way to go (unless you really want to get intricate and put smaller coins for different denominations - that might look to bulky). remember, points are only really used at the start (or ending) of a game, so during game-play an icon may get in the way. If using the coins, try between height and movement.

I think the non-centered look of icons draw your eyes faster to them.

I'd love a Smurfy set when you're done!

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; February 19th, 2017 at 07:39 AM. Reason: And yes the Icon border improves the smurfiness of the card.
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:50 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I agree with @AMIS on the coin thing, the way you have it in the first option on syvarris looks the cleanest. Oh man do I like this template. You captured simple yet elegant. Without all those extra lines and boxes. That's what had me on the fence with the rectangular cards. I liked the shape but not all those lines and boxes.

Old February 19th, 2017, 08:59 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I would fade the figure image a bit more when it gets in the way of the text: "Elf Archer" is a little hard to read.

I really like color-coding the bottom bar to match the general. I don't care much about the fade on the boder; if I had to pick I guess I'd take the outer shadow.

I still like the coin but prefer the silver to the desaturated one. Discussion of layout is a bit premature without seeing what you have in store for a text-heavy squad.

My preference between the different crosshairs was pretty marginal; that one is fine.
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:48 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow, these look awesome. You have the height, but I don't see "large", "medium" etc for size. I prefer the more solid black line between the green and white section. The drop shadow approach feels to fuzzy for my taste.

It will be interesting to see how a card with mucho text works.

Gorgeous cards!

Edit: Scratch that, its the tiny "M" next to the height.
Old February 20th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I believe the M next to the 5 stands for medium.

Anyway you can shift the symbols up slightly so the skull is not cut off?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Well it's a Tolkien Quote and I'm guessing Legolas.
Got it in one! Legolas is repeating a maxim known to him, but close enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Like the second shadow.

I think the art is the best compromise between mini and comic art. I Love it.
Just confirming--second shadow or second card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
When are we going to get our hands on a template for these
A couple of weeks, I'd guess if you don't mind working with Word ("Word?!?" you might ask. Go back to the OP--this came up hap-haphazardly and it is the tool I had at hand). Another week after that if you want it in Illustrator or SVG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
Can I suggest you add the General's name to the back of the card
Yeah, that sounds perfect.

Quote:
Personally I would remove the ranking, because they have been know to change (unless you are not adding customs and staying strictly within cannon) but the competitive info is great
Watch out for the characters with more synergies, that could really mess with the font on the back.
Yeah, doing customs with this is great, but I don't mind that they mess with the power ranking. It's a single letter, so it is space efficient, and still useful even if it isn't comprehensive to all scenarios (which is still the case even if sticking just to canon).

Regarding synergies getting long, yeah, the plan is to stuff the back with as much as can fit for a given unit. If something needs to be axed for space reasons on a card, I'll axe it. About the only things I for sure want on all the backs are the planet and wave info, since they're on official cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Oh man do I like this template. You captured simple yet elegant. Without all those extra lines and boxes. That's what had me on the fence with the rectangular cards. I liked the shape but not all those lines and boxes.
Yeah, one not-as-obvious extra plus of not having boxes is that the miniature image area can be fiddled around with to some extent (made bigger and smaller) to make room for special power text. The earliest drafts of this design didn't even have the bottom shaded box. I don't have those drafts anymore, but here's what the current design looks like with that box removed:

I felt that as much as I wanted to avoid boxing things in that the colored bar on the bottom "grounded" the card in a good way. It has also ended up being useful to provide a color cue for the general, but that wasn't planned (since these were just Smurf cards to start with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
Wow, these look awesome. I prefer the more solid black line between the green and white section.
I'll try a simple black line.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how a card with mucho text works.
Yeah, Dividers are next and they have a decent amount of text. After that, I'm going to jump right to Repusors!

Quote:
You have the height, but I don't see "large", "medium" etc for size.

Edit: Scratch that, its the tiny "M" next to the height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I believe the M next to the 5 stands for medium.
Yep, and dok's son spotted that too. Once you've discovered it once, I think it's really clear, at least to the target audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Anyway you can shift the symbols up slightly so the skull is not cut off?
Now that I've started not putting the number only over the "solid" section of the icon (q.v., the foot icon in the most recent drafts), I will try it out with the skull too. Good idea. We'll see if it looks better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I would fade the figure image a bit more when it gets in the way of the text: "Elf Archer" is a little hard to read.
Check.

Quote:
I really like color-coding the bottom bar to match the general. I don't care much about the fade on the boder; if I had to pick I guess I'd take the outer shadow.
The one thing I liked about the inner shadow option is that it made the icons appear to be about on the same plane as the white area above. But no shadow may win the day anyway. Not sure. Trying to keep things uncomplicated looking right?

Quote:
Discussion of layout is a bit premature without seeing what you have in store for a text-heavy squad.
Yep, see above regarding Repusors. About the most text heavy I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote:
My preference between the different crosshairs was pretty marginal; that one is fine.
The reason I prefer this one over, say, option "I," is that "I" is too on-the-nose for me. This one feels like cross-hairs with perhaps a bit of cross-fantasy vibe to it if you're in the right mood, hence more "scapey." (It's not uniform-width circles, arcs, and straight lines).

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; February 20th, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:41 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd keep the bottom box...if only for colour recognition of the general. I think the size letter height font may need to be the same as the number font for ease of reading...or I need my prescription checked.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; February 20th, 2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Yes...my colour has a "U" in it. And my "Z" is pronounced "Zed"
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I'd keep the bottom box...if only for colour recognition of the general.
Right. To be clear, I'm not proposing removing it, just showing what it looked liked because it had some good aspects. I added it back in the early designs for good reason.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 21st, 2017, 06:20 PM
Super Smurfy

Here's the Divider's card. Apologies in advance for the half-assed job on the graphics. Job #1 was to work on layout for this test (it's the first squad) and the graphics took a back seat.

For squads, I had envisioned only having one of the squad figures having a large image and then stacking, in either the x, y, or z axis, smaller images all of the remaining squad figures. I couldn't figure out a way to make that not look weird. The only remnant of that effort is in the hitzone chart. In the end, I did something pretty traditional:

The back is, once again, not well-styled. I will get to designing a style for the backs soon, but just haven't yet. I have some ideas to dress it up, but it will out of necessity always be lots-and-lots of text so it'll never be as cool as the front.

The big question about the above graphic is, "what do you think about the concept of having abridged special power text on the front and unabridged on the back, for units with longer powers?" (Note the scissors indicating the abridgment). If your gut reaction is to not like it, I encourage you to sleep on it first. If your reaction is still negative, go ahead and let me know.

As it turns out, in this case, abridging the text isn't necessary for the Dividers, nor do we even have to play around with crunching the text (or wrapping it around the mini graphic, or shrinking the mini graphic, or any of the other tricks we can do):

The next sample card, the Repulsors, will for sure require some trickery to make it work since it has so much text.

If you don't mind the stacked hitzone graphics as shown above, there is plenty of room in the bottom shaded area for the coin option, even for squads with 4 (or 5) members. If you want to see a side-by-side hitzone option instead of stacked, let me know.

Last issue--since these cards are for both Official and custom units, I'd like, if possible, for some sort of indicator on the front of the source of the unit. If we can't make that work it could go to the back (q.v., "OFFICIAL" on the bottoms of the backs above), but there are lots of options for the front. Here is a card with a bunch of them. To be clear, only one of these would be used!

I have several questions about this new territory:
1) We'd use C3V logos and such for customs, but what symbol should be used for official units? Look by the points display--I grabbed the H and S from the official Heroscape logo as options. Would either of those work? Other ideas? I want to avoid using the Hasbro, WotC, or full Heroscape logo.
2) Where should the symbol go? I show several options. Next to the points? Behind the special power text? Somewhere in the bottom bar? (If using the coin, it could stack above/below the coin). Somewhere else?
3) I have a few minor style treatments shown next to the "4M" unit size: plain, in the hex, some different shading. Like any of them?

The other stuff mentioned in my previous post (black line option, showing bottom of skull option, adjusting range icon) are still in progress. I haven't lost track of them.

Thank you to @Dad_Scaper for the perfect quote!

Last edited by Xorlof; February 21st, 2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Fixing up this hurriedly done post.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:13 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I prefer unabridged text, and using flavor text only when space allows. I'm boring like that. I don't like the idea of flipping the card back and forth to access official wording during gameplay.

I'd prefer if only the customs got an extra symbol, and classic scape had no extra symbols.

Really happy with how that middle one turned out.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:31 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
I prefer unabridged text, and using flavor text only when space allows. I'm boring like that. I don't like the idea of flipping the card back and forth to access official wording during gameplay.

I'd prefer if only the customs got an extra symbol, and classic scape had no extra symbols.

Really happy with how that middle one turned out.
Completely agree.....and wow thats awesome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations