Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Civil war units for Heroscape

The idea for civil war units for Heroscape comes up often. I think it's a great idea but I wonder how they could be sufficiently differentiated both visually and mechanically from the revolutionary war era units we already have to make them distinct enough to be a welcome addition. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Civil war units for Heroscape

One easy way to distinguish Billy Yank and Johhny Reb from the other historical Heroscape units could be to give them a range of seven to represent the advancing rifle technology. After all, if elves with bows can shoot seven spaces away, why not trained riflemen? It might not seem like a big change, but I think most people on this site know how advantageous one extra range can be.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I've been interested in an American Civil War Master set (not simply an expansion or two) on the lines of the Marvel Master set (but better <grin), which would have two big heroes (Lee and Grant, obviously) and couple of lesser heroes each (Sherman and McClellan; Jackson and Stuart, possibly), then a mix of infantry, cavalry, and, perhaps, artillery units. Sharpshooters would work, of course. Something mixed up like that, all in one big box.

(And I know that Little Mac never served and never would have served under Grant.)
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

(Copied and somewhat changed from my recent post in the Wizards Feedback Thread)

I've been hankering for some Civil War soldiers for a while, though I do see the obvious problems in making them. I recall someone bringing up the idea of a split four-man squad, you know, two confederates, two unions. They were summoned to Valhalla and suddenly realized that they're all Americans and shouldn't be fighting or something equally cheesy... seems like a pretty cool idea to me.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Thoughts copied from the WotC feedback thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
I think we'd need new categories. Which general does Spiderman fight for? (I know, Capt. America fights for Eisenhower.)
Spot on. I know they don't end in -ar, but I would like to call the new generals "Grant" and "Lee". This would work just fine, since there's no reason you couldn't still put those units in your Ullar (or whatever) army.

The Rev's master set idea is perfect: 24 to 30 figures evenly divided between North and South, a bunch of appropriate terrain, a few period LOS blockers, all the usual master set trinkets, and a few scenarios representing some pivotal battles. Make most of the figures common, and Civil War buffs will buy dozens of master sets to make their battles bigger and bigger, even if they don't care about the rest of Heroscape. Some of us will mix & match, some of us will keep the lines pure, and we all get to discuss the merits of both approaches.

As to kenjib's question of differentiating vs. 4th Mass and 10th Foot, one possibility is to just make the special abilities of the Union & Confederate units slightly specific to the blue-vs.-grey scenarios. For example, balance them so they are 95% as good in regular Heroscape but 110% as good vs. the opposing themed army. Or maybe they aren't Valiant but have new personality adjectives. Or maybe they don't have Wait Then Fire, but have bonding with their respective Captains/Lieutenants/Colonels. (It doesn't take much of a tweak to give things different value in different armies; consider Sacred Band vs. the Romans). There are always ways to balance such things.

And a marketing considering to think about on a Civil War master set: To maximize the product's appeal to Civil War buffs who don't know anything about Heroscape, the product would probably not have a Valhalla backstory. Much like Marvel, this would probably have to be developed as a historical game set on Earth, but of course everything in the box could get summoned to Valhalla by all of us who are used to the melting pot that is The Battle of All Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej View Post
I know this is further deviating this thread, but I just want to say that a Civil War Heroscape set, separate from the rest of the game system, is a brilliant idea. Brilliant. BRILLIANT!!!
It was RevDyer's idea, and you are absolutely right. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Several heartbeats, as a matter of fact.

This post of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the forums.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!

I like the idea of it as a separate game, like Marvel. That would rock and I would love the terrain pieces. I've been wanting some more modern style terrain for quite a while. Marvel was pretty cool in that regard. I wonder if Target, Toys R' Us, and Walmart would stock something like that though...
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker

I owe Rev some Rep, but apparently I can't until I give some other people some first. Grishnak can give him some rep for me.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM

500points Woo who?

The Marvel-like set would be cool but, big stores might not stock it. Maybe hobby stories would.

< Click me Please
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Naruto Woo who?

I would love to have a Civil War Master Set it would be awsome
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I would love some abatis as LOS blockers, or stone walls.

As General Bee said, "There stands Jackson like a Krug! Rally behind the Virginians!" Hence, the nickname "Krug" Jackson.

One of the first battlefield maps I built with my first RotV as an Antietam attempt. I'd love to do the Battle of the Crater, too.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej View Post
I owe Rev some Rep, but apparently I can't until I give some other people some first. Grishnak can give him some rep for me.
Rep me, then you're one step closer to being able to rep the ever deserving Revdyer.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

We already have the Harquebus (Or however you spell it), the 4th Mass, and the upcoming Red Coats.

IMO, we don't need anymore "Stand in a long line 5 feet from each other and blast each other apart with musket" units.

I say we need WW1 Infantry. That way we can have an enemy to the AE without having Nazis.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units