Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Using RotV to Introduce Heroscape - Army Ideas?

I am hoping to introduce a new player to Heroscape. I would like to use set armies rather than drafting, and will only be using figures from RotV. In an effort to improve the other player's chances, I plan to use unbalanced armies. I came up with a few ideas (below), but would be grateful for any suggestions on army size and composition. I would like the game to be competitive, but more importantly I would like my opponent's army to be fun to play. My ideas:

#1 (300 vs 400)
Ne-Gok-Sa
DW 9k
Zettians
-- vs --
Thorgrim
Krav Maga
Sgt. Drake
AE

#2 (300 vs 400)
Finn
Thorgrim
Raelin
Izumi
-- vs --
Mimring
Agent Carr
Krav Maga
Marro Warriors

#3 (300 vs 400)
Finn
Tarn Vikings
Izumi
Sgt. Drake
-- vs --
Mimring
Agent Carr
Krav Maga
Marro Warriors
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Your #2 and #3 are melee against range. I am not sure how it will do. You probably want to have a round number (300, 400) but in both case, I would switch Marro Warriors with Izumi. I think let your friend play a mixed army with both range and melee could be more fun for him. To be sure that he will have fun, you can always play less effectively .

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
A great army is this
Agent Carr-100
AE-110
Old Sgt.Drake-110
Krav-100
Raelin-80
It is a great army if played right.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper
Your #2 and #3 are melee against range. I am not sure how it will do. You probably want to have a round number (300, 400) but in both case, I would switch Marro Warriors with Izumi. I think let your friend play a mixed army with both range and melee could be more fun for him. To be sure that he will have fun, you can always play less effectively .
I'm not too worried about melee vs range putting me at a disadvantage - I thought it would be fun to power up the Izumi with spirits, just to showcase the different abilities. I did attempt to give my opponent a mix of melee and range (Thorgrim, Drake, Mimring, Carr); I was worried some of the other melee figures would be less interesting for a beginner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan
A great army is this
Agent Carr-100
AE-110
Old Sgt.Drake-110
Krav-100
Raelin-80
It is a great army if played right.
My opponent's army in #1 was initially Krav/Drake/Raelin/AE, but I thought Thorgrim might be more fun than Raelin.
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBear
I thought it would be fun to power up the Izumi with spirits, just to showcase the different abilities.
Marro Warriors being powered up could be fun, too.
But you know, the nice thing about RotV is that no matter what army you come up with, it always provides you something to work and to have fun with. The Tarn Vikings is not a bad unit, either, because I think they are the only unit that can be activated more than once a turn.
I think the map choice is important, too. The map should be small, have water, some good amount of height and cover. But... you don't have any problem with the map, do you ?

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:18 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I like the first one the best. Your friend can learn the power of synergy (Zettains and Deathwalker 7000), Unique Heroes, and Squads, as well as the difference between range and melee.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
I know you said you wanted set armies rather than drafting, but have you considered a middle ground? One of the cool things about the game is the style and feel of the units, and we all have our own opinions on it. (You know, some people prefer samurai to vikings?! Weird.)

I think the 300 to 400 point difference is probably sufficient to balance the game. How about giving your friend the stack of cards and get him/her to pick 400pts of what, in his/her opinion, looks coolest. You might want to suggest making sure to have at least one squad, at least one hero, and at least one ranged card. After that, you pick a 300pt army that you think will complement your opponent's choices.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion