Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
GenCon 2011 Championship Event Armies - Tentative

Tentatively (according to Rÿchean), 500 point armies for Day 1. If you make it to Day 2, in each game you play your opponent's army. Thus, if I make it to Day 2 with Vydar range, and you make it with 4th Mass., when we play against each other, I play your 4th mass., and you play my Vydar range. "Can you beat the army that got you to day 2? 4 times in a row?"

I like this format. If you were to play dok's winning 2010 army on Day 1, for example, you'd have to beat it 4 times in a row on Day 2. Assuming I can attend, I'd play my usual type of army, with exactly two of any Common squad, with the idea that I'd be more familiar with how such an army plays than my opponents, playing more standard armies, would be.

An example:

130 Tagawa Samurai Archers x 2
120 Kaemon
90 Heirloom
80 Raelin
80 Deathreavers x 2
Old January 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: GenCon 2011 Championship Event Armies - Tentative

The goal, really, is to squeak in to day 2 as a 4-1 with lousy SoS or a lucky 3-2, while playing the crappiest army you can win with.

The reason why this format is almost impossible to metagame for is that there's basically no way to know how strong the armies everyone else is going to bring are, and what sorts of armies those will be. We just don't have any history to go on in a format like this one.

The bottom line, of course, is bring something you know how to play well, something you know how to play against, and something that you think other people don't know how to play.

Last edited by dok; January 24th, 2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: you might want to edit a "2011" into the thread title.
Old January 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

This seems like a great way to get some of those "signature" armies into Gencon. Something that you know and like to play, but maybe others don't as much. You don't want an easy army, like 4th mass. You want slightly weaker trickier units like 'trons, Zombies, maybe even Goblins. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three in the second day.

Last edited by Frylock; January 24th, 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Ok, ok, 'trons aren't "weak"...;)
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:18 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
I'd play my usual type of army, with exactly two of any Common squad, with the idea that I'd be more familiar with how such an army plays than my opponents, playing more standard armies, would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
The bottom line, of course, is bring something you know how to play well, something you know how to play against, and something that you think other people don't know how to play.
Two out of three ain't bad .
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
This seems like a great way to get some of those "signature" armies into Gencon. Something that you know and like to play, but maybe others don't as much.
You mean like Killercactus and Runa , or Matthias and all melee ?
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
This seems like a great way to get some of those "signature" armies into Gencon. Something that you know and like to play, but maybe others don't as much. You don't want an easy army, like 4th mass. You want slightly weaker trickier units like 'trons, Zombies, maybe even Goblins. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three in the second day.
Absolutely. It encourages players to find more personalized armies instead of generic rat screens or Q9 tanks.
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Kurrok/Elemental armies could be a worthy choice.
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Venoc Warlord 120
Venoc Vipers x5 320
Krav Mag Agents 420

I usually play this army at 510, so Theracus+Brave Arrow would be here normally. This is the army I know how to play extremely well and wouldn't expect anyone else to.

So for the extra 80... 2x Venocs, or maybe even Raelin. But I kind of hate Raelin, so no. Death Knights and Guilty. Why not?

Edit/ Why not? Because that's still 90 ya idget. Death Knights and Marcu. Theracus and... anti-range 40 point hero. There ya go.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:01 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassistofDoom View Post
Quote:
Absolutely. It encourages players to find more personalized armies instead of generic rat screens or Q9 tanks.
That was the intent; hopefully it works out that way.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Knights x 5 / Gilbert / Eldgrim / Isamu - 495 (23 hexes)

I'm done.

I hope everybody practices using knights for the next 6 months...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; January 24th, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: and orcs, and dwarves, and romans, and death chasers
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

I'm done.

I'm curious, are you gonna cry if you have to play a range build?

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

I'm done.

I'm curious, are you gonna cry if you have to play a range build?
Cry? No.

Whine? HECK YEAH!!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion