Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old December 3rd, 2018, 02:02 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: LC's Customs- Glass Golem and Scarecrow 12/03/18

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Tough-style power on the Scarecrow. That always feels to me like thick armor more than the "easily damageable but it doesn't bother them" theme. I just said it the other day, but C3G's Jason does the best job I've ever seen selling that theme. Defense 0, but the Unstoppable Resilience special power allows him to shrug off wounds very easily;
Quote:
UNSTOPPABLE RESILIENCE
If Jason would receive one or more wounds, ignore one of those wounds.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 02:06 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I like the glass golem a lot!
Old December 3rd, 2018, 02:19 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: LC's Customs-Clockwork Reliquary Brainstorm 12/19/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
It's great to see more designs! I was scratching my head at a couple of things on this card, but your explanations did a good job of conveying the theme. I'm still not sold that there needs to be an automatic shield (I don't think of Scarecrows as being particularly hard to hurt, just more like punching bags, which is adequately conveyed by the life/defense combo), though.

Mechanically, I agree that this design would currently work best as a Unique Hero because of ranged pods, although I think that thematically an Uncommon Scarecrow is much more logical. If you wanted to keep it as Uncommon, I would consider dropping the movement penalty; the effect of fear is already conveyed by the stat reduction, and it really only hurts melee units (especially if they're trying to reach ranged units behind the Scarecrows).

Quote:
This is a really cool and thematic design. Is she single or double-spaced, though? I'd think single from the height and figure pose, but that obviously makes a large difference for Shards. Also, is Shards intended to be optional for each figure?

Shatter Point makes it difficult for me to gauge the price, but it doesn't look off to me. Against range, she'll be picked off long before being able to do enough damage, and if melee can minimize their number of engagements to her, she won't do much in death, either.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 02:20 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Same here- always wanted someone to do something cool with the figure, ever since I pulled it out of a blind pack and thought “what am I supposed to do with this?”
Bravo. Shatter Point really sells the move from solid crystal to cracked construct.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 03:22 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Tough-style power on the Scarecrow. That always feels to me like thick armor more than the "easily damageable but it doesn't bother them" theme. I just said it the other day, but C3G's Jason does the best job I've ever seen selling that theme. Defense 0, but the Unstoppable Resilience special power allows him to shrug off wounds very easily;
Quote:
UNSTOPPABLE RESILIENCE
If Jason would receive one or more wounds, ignore one of those wounds.
I really like that a lot. Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Thanks, PK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
It's great to see more designs! I was scratching my head at a couple of things on this card, but your explanations did a good job of conveying the theme. I'm still not sold that there needs to be an automatic shield (I don't think of Scarecrows as being particularly hard to hurt, just more like punching bags, which is adequately conveyed by the life/defense combo), though.

Mechanically, I agree that this design would currently work best as a Unique Hero because of ranged pods, although I think that thematically an Uncommon Scarecrow is much more logical. If you wanted to keep it as Uncommon, I would consider dropping the movement penalty; the effect of fear is already conveyed by the stat reduction, and it really only hurts melee units (especially if they're trying to reach ranged units behind the Scarecrows).

Quote:
This is a really cool and thematic design. Is she single or double-spaced, though? I'd think single from the height and figure pose, but that obviously makes a large difference for Shards. Also, is Shards intended to be optional for each figure?

Shatter Point makes it difficult for me to gauge the price, but it doesn't look off to me. Against range, she'll be picked off long before being able to do enough damage, and if melee can minimize their number of engagements to her, she won't do much in death, either.
Thanks for the input, Astroking112! The thought of dropping the movement penalty on Scarecrow's Petrifying Aura is a good idea. That is really what punished the hapless melee squads. Keeping it uncommon is my preference and that may help do the trick.

Good thought about single or double spacing for the Glass Golem. I actually will be receiving the actual figs for her tomorrow. I proxied her until I was sure I wanted to put out the money for her (so I quickly ordered a few figs this weekend ). I do, also, believe she is single spaced and am counting on that for her pricing.

If by "optional for each figure" you are referring to each Glass Golem figure, it is a mandatory roll. So, you definitely want to make sure that when she is close to death you get her away from your own units before an opponent snipes her triggering Shards on your own units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Same here- always wanted someone to do something cool with the figure, ever since I pulled it out of a blind pack and thought “what am I supposed to do with this?”
Bravo. Shatter Point really sells the move from solid crystal to cracked construct.
Thanks, Son of Arathorn. She is probably one of my favorite designs I have done and is fun to use. Shooting her myself to trigger Shards was reminiscent of the Zombikazes by hextr1p and how much fun they were.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 03:39 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
If by "optional for each figure" you are referring to each Glass Golem figure, it is a mandatory roll. So, you definitely want to make sure that when she is close to death you get her away from your own units before an opponent snipes her triggering Shards on your own units.
My apologies, I meant for each figure adjacent to the dying Glass Golem. I thought that it was likely mandatory (and I think that it is more interesting that way), but "choose" implies a choice to me, which left some wiggle room to interpret the power as being optional. Perhaps throwing in the word "must" somewhere could help make it clearer (such as "One by one, you must roll one attack die for each figure adjacent to this Glass Golem..." or the like).

It's a very minor quibble on wording, though, and I think that the design itself is very solid... at least at full health. I love how you've captured the element of glass here, which I don't think is an easy feat.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 08:12 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I'm not sure about this one. Impervious feels a bit unnecessary, or maybe like it should do and/or be named something else. Scarecrows don't seem particularly impervious to me (though arguably magically animated ones should be). I understand Stuffing, but it conjures an odd image of this thing frantically shoving handfuls of grass inside itself during breaks in fighting. Petrifying Aura is OK.

Quote:
Now this, this I like! Shatter Point is a wonderful weakness, though the name makes me think more of a sudden, catastrophic failure rather than systematic weakening. I've always loved the Frost Giant's Dying Swipe, so I really like Shards as well. Could use some re-wording, though. Maybe:

SHARDS
If this Glass Golem is attacked with a normal attack and receives enough wounds to be destroyed, before removing that Golem first roll an attack die once for each adjacent figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives one unblockable wound. Remove this Glass Golem from the battlefield after rolling for all adjacent figures.

Really cool card.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 3rd, 2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
SHARDS
If this Glass Golem is attacked with a normal attack and receives enough wounds to be destroyed, before removing that Golem first roll an attack die once for each adjacent figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives one unblockable wound. Remove this Glass Golem from the battlefield after rolling for all adjacent figures.
I just wanted to pop in to say that I think this wording works really well and still conveys the power. It looks like it's a little shorter, too, which is always a plus.
Old December 4th, 2018, 11:44 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure about this one. Impervious feels a bit unnecessary, or maybe like it should do and/or be named something else. Scarecrows don't seem particularly impervious to me (though arguably magically animated ones should be). I understand Stuffing, but it conjures an odd image of this thing frantically shoving handfuls of grass inside itself during breaks in fighting. Petrifying Aura is OK.

Quote:
Now this, this I like! Shatter Point is a wonderful weakness, though the name makes me think more of a sudden, catastrophic failure rather than systematic weakening. I've always loved the Frost Giant's Dying Swipe, so I really like Shards as well. Could use some re-wording, though. Maybe:

SHARDS

Really cool card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
SHARDS
I just wanted to pop in to say that I think this wording works really well and still conveys the power. It looks like it's a little shorter, too, which is always a plus.
Thanks for the input, @NecroBlade and @Astroking112

I think I will abandon Scarecrow for now. As I said in the OP, because of him basically aiding units that already have an advantage I wasn't sure if he was even really a necessary unit. I figured I would give the community a chance to chime in and they have. Thank you for all the input on him! I am glad I was proxying him until I decided whether or not I really liked him as a unit I may revisit him later as the theme is something I like for a unit.

I agree on the wording for Shards. I like NB's edit. I could mesh it with Dying Swipe and get...

Quote:
SHARDS
If this Glass Golem is attacked with a normal attack and receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll 1 attack die once for each figure adjacent to this Glass Golem. If you roll a skull inflict 1 wound on that figure. Figures affected by Shards cannot roll any defense dice. After using Shards, remove this Glass Golem from the battlefield.
Thoughts?
Old December 4th, 2018, 11:53 AM

I'm glad to have helped with the Scarecrow. I do like the concept and how it captures the theme quite well, outside of potential gameplay concerns.

The rewording of Shards flows even better in my opinion. I like it.
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:09 PM

Here is what I think may be the final card.

Again, thanks to everyone for their encouragement and input on the Glass Golem, from the original incarnation almost 6 year ago to the past couple of days!
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:25 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Hey Lama, I did an availability check on the Glass Golem in case you were still considering that SoV submission from 6 years ago:

Paizo has at least 99 at $8.
CoolStuffInc has 18 at $2.99
Troll&Toad has 2 at $2.99
MagicMiniMan has 6 at $2.99
MiniatureMarket has 15 at $2.50
NobleKnight has 9 at $10
at least 20 on eBay, most under $5

So that adds up to 170+, about 60 of which are dirt cheap. Bottom line, the availability is there, and I think another Large Construct could be fun....

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards