Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old April 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Origins of HS Names

I wanted to do one on an Einar unit so I looked up the gladiators. I found out that Crixus, Sparticus, were roman gladiators. Retarius is a type of Roman Gladiators, but I guess Heroscape just made a man in the appearence of a retarii and made that his actual name.

Crixus- Leader of the slave rebellion along with Sparticus, and Oenamous. Crixus was trained in Capua (a city in Caserta in Southern Italy...Capuan Gladiators??)

Retiaris- is not an actual man, but a type of fighter. A retiarius (plural retiarii; literally, "net-man" or "net-fighter" in Latin) was a Roman gladiator who fought with equipment styled on that of a fisherman: a weighted net (rete, hence the name), a three-pointed trident (fuscina or tridens), and a dagger (pugio). The retiarius was lightly armoured, wearing an arm guard (manica) and a shoulder guard (galerus). Typically, his clothing consisted only of a loincloth (subligaculum) held in place by a wide belt, or of a short tunic with light padding. He wore no head protection or footwear.

Sparticus- was the most notable leader of the slaves in the Third Servile War, a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic. Little is known about Spartacus beyond the events of the war, and surviving historical accounts are sometimes contradictory and may not always be reliable. Spartacus' struggle, often seen as oppressed people fighting for their freedom against a slave-owning aristocracy, has found new meaning for modern writers since the 19th century. The rebellion of Spartacus has proven inspirational to many modern literary and political writers, making Spartacus a folk hero among cultures both ancient and modern.

I found this info from Wiki. So it may not be all that reliable. However if it's true, it's interesting!
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker

And then there is the new hero named for my wife...Sharwin. One letter difference--instead of the 'w', there's an 'l'. Of course, when my 5 year old says it, there isn't any difference at all!

"There's right and there's wrong: you do one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around, but you're as dead as a beaver hat." John Wayne in The Alamo
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:55 PM

i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvblair View Post
  • Sacred Band A unit of male pedophilic Greeks warriors from Thebes who fought alongside their boy-lovers
I did some searching around on heroscapers.com trying to find some additional info on the inspiration for the Sacred Band and came across the above "explanation".

This definition is of dubious historical accuracy at best and verges on homophobia and bigotry.

If the Heroscape version of the Sacred Band were indeed inspired by the Sacred Band of Thebes then yes, the figures represent possibly the first gay characters in a table-top strategy game.

In any event, they were an effective, and respected, fighting force within the Greek army at the time.

I'd encourage you all to do a little research-- start with Google, follow the link-trail on Wikipedia.org. Human history is a fascinating and complex web. It rarely gives up easy answers and only yields more questions.

Themed Heroscape armies are loads of fun. Not too practical (or winning!), but very fun.

My sale/trade/wants/haves.

Good Trades: Porkins; phil413ican; Grison; twigleg2; mac122; Vydar; Tokah Phatee; dart48; wytefang; SgtHulka
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM

killergoat72 knows what's in an order marker killergoat72 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I was reading my biography on Joshua Chamberlin today and I noticed something. There is a women who is a great grandmother to him. Her name was Huguenot Jean Dupuis, the name of our Templar. She fled France because of relegious persecution, like the Templars being massecred by the French on Friday the 13th. Just wanted to share.
Dupuis is the name of TheGuru, but, you know, same thing, really.

...and was it really Friday the 13th? Is that why it's unlucky? Or, like, what?
Yes, it is a well established fact that Sir Dupuis is named for Chris Dupuis, AKA theGuru, just as Sir Hawthorne is named for and Skahen is named for Bunjee. Regarless of other persons with those names, there is no dispute as to their origins.
I disagree (sorta) while it is undoubtably true Sir Dupuis was named after the Guru, any other unit could have been named Dupuis. Perhaps the Designers looked for a double entendre and found this.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergoat72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I was reading my biography on Joshua Chamberlin today and I noticed something. There is a women who is a great grandmother to him. Her name was Huguenot Jean Dupuis, the name of our Templar. She fled France because of relegious persecution, like the Templars being massecred by the French on Friday the 13th. Just wanted to share.
Dupuis is the name of TheGuru, but, you know, same thing, really.

...and was it really Friday the 13th? Is that why it's unlucky? Or, like, what?
Yes, it is a well established fact that Sir Dupuis is named for Chris Dupuis, AKA theGuru, just as Sir Hawthorne is named for and Skahen is named for Bunjee. Regarless of other persons with those names, there is no dispute as to their origins.
I disagree (sorta) while it is undoubtably true Sir Dupuis was named after the Guru, any other unit could have been named Dupuis. Perhaps the Designers looked for a double entendre and found this.
Wow, that post was so old I hardly remember making it (but I still stand by it).
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:01 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just found this while looking for a Norse name for a map I'm working on. Atlaga is the old Norse word for "attack."
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

After a cursory scan of a 166 page "Old Norse" dictionary, in addition to the one above, I also found:

Brandar (brandr) = brand
Valda = cause
Fyorlag (fjorlag) = death
Kelda = fountain
Jotun (jotunn) = giant
Sigling (as in Sigling Sea) = sailing

And last but not least...
Aldin (aldinn) = old
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:30 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

Isamu, there is a Japanese manga/anime called Macross Plus. One of the main character is called Isamu. He is an ace pilot of a jet fighter called a VF-11 Thunderbolt. VF stood for Variable Fighter as the jet can transform into 3 modes. These are the 3 modes, an upright standing robot-like form called a Battroid. a hybrid with arms and legs of a robot and wings and fuselage of a jet form called a Gerwalk. And finally, as a jet fighter called a Valkyrie. Probably just coincidence but who knows.

Last edited by screwDriver; February 17th, 2011 at 01:41 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units