Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 18th, 2014, 07:16 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Took down Mephisto trying to Steal Weaponized Plutonium (to blow open a portal to hell and release the demons, I suppose?) with 5 players in Legendary. Mostly the work of 1 guy, though, who got off to a good start and never lost steam. I had a paltry 11 points to his game-winning 34. Strangest scenario so far was Apocalypse performing a Mid-Town Bank Robbery...why, just why?!

Had to leave before joining a game of Eldritch Horror sadly. I've been wanting to play X-Wing a lot lately, but haven't gotten the chance.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:33 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Hey all, I finally got a copy of Pandemic. After recommendations from IAmBatman & a lot of other people agreeing & I must say I really enjoy it. I haven't been able to beat it yet even on easy. Great game though .
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Hey all, I finally got a copy of Pandemic. After recommendations from IAmBatman & a lot of other people agreeing & I must say I really enjoy it. I haven't been able to beat it yet even on easy. Great game though .
Welcome to the dark side A3n.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:14 AM

chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death!

PLAY AMAZING CUSTOM STUFF by GRIZNAKH AT TOTAL CON!

After several games of Heroscape out at a Long Island Scapers Game Day just hosted by Griznakh, I got to play another of his amazing custom pump ups of an old game that never reached its full potential in its published version. In this case it was what I'm calling Beyond Thunder Road. Grizh pimped out the very old Milton Bradley Thunder Road, a simple Mad Max Road Warrior type of game (the movie was just coming out according to him, but they couldn't get the license) with a much larger scale of custom board sections and Matchbox vehicles, all done in his usual professional graphic art style! He also integrated elements suggested by boardgamegeekers. The result was a very good time had by four players twice, once with the basic published version and once with his adds. In the second game players took their team of a van, sports car, dune buggy, motorcycle, and even a helicopter, and dodged around wrecks (or through them) and varied terrain on and off road as they spewed caltrops, oil, and Molotov Cocktails at each other, while trying to board the giant semi truck! Wow! We were ramming each other, shooting at each other, and laughing as we did Mel Gibson kinds of things in a real demolition derby!

I've been lucky to have been in playtests he runs locally over a few years now, as he prepares these games for conventions. After having played his Very Lost World (Victorian Dinosaur Hunting) and pumped up Extreme Battle Masters (my titles; see photos on his own thread), this was an unexpectedly good time. Initially, I had zero interest in a road race game, but was glad I'd been open to trying it out. I mention it because he'll be running this and other games soon up near Boston at Total Con. If you're going to that Con and have the rare opportunity to participate in any of his custom redo board game projects, you'll be glad you did.

We ended the day with a seven player game of Bang! which I own but never get to play. In my first such large player game of the popular design, I ended up winning as a Deputy with only the Sheriff and myself standing, after five other players had been sent to Boot Hill!

I also picked up some very cheap Heroclix figures for Super Scape at the game store where they meet (see my Supers Custom Thread for yet more Flights and Tights madness, as a result of Wikipedia research and lack of sleep at 2 AM after I got home last night).

Last edited by chas; January 19th, 2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Sounds like fun Chas.

Old January 19th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Man, Beyond Thunder Road sounds incredible!!!

I went to the Dark Side after watching several glowing reviews of Battlelore Second Edition: Borg Not Included (sarcasm mine). It actually reminds me a bit of Heroscape in the way each type of unit has certain special abilities. In fact, if Heroscape ever gets a reprint, releasing it in this type of production (2D map with terrain tiles combined with 3D figures) might be the way to go. Naturally, it won't be as awesome as what we have.

I played with my Dad last night in our second game of this. His mind is still wrapped around the attack method of Memoir and Battlelore Part 1: 100% Borg and 10% MSG, so he isn't focusing on gobbling victory points. This has caused our games to be wipe-outs in both cases, but he still wants to give it a go to get adjusted. I am a bit concerned as to whether this game has a runaway leader problem.

Oh, and this game is different enough for me that I won't be getting rid of the original game.

Finally, a bit of buyer's remorse on Ogre: We're Going to Need a Bigger Boat Edition. I've stayed with the basic rules for now without piling on the extra rules and really enjoy the game. But that box is just too big. <insert "That's what she said" joke here> The CRT (Combat Results Table) brings back some fond memories of my Avalon Hill days.

Finally took out the rules for 7 Wonders and played with my mom and dad. I really like this game a lot, and my parents enjoyed it as well. It takes a lot of table space, so I wonder if there will be enough room whenever my brother and his girlfriend join in.
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Finally took out the rules for 7 Wonders and played with my mom and dad. I really like this game a lot, and my parents enjoyed it as well. It takes a lot of table space, so I wonder if there will be enough room whenever my brother and his girlfriend join in.
Yeah, this takes up some space for sure, it's not for TV tray gaming

Watch out for the Sciences collectors, for if they go unchecked, they can rack up some serious points in collecting multiple sets. One way I try to keep them in check is to draft one of their cards so they don't get it, then I can either start collecting them too, or more likely the case, use them either as dump cards to get money, or dump cards to be used to build my Wonder on the bottom of the player board.

New players don't usually collect the Sciences as they are a bit more confusing as to how they score, so you may not have an issue with others in that regard David, though you can be the Science collector

Old January 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Nice! Glad you enjoyed it.

I've gotta say, co-ops have really become my favorite type of game.

Speaking of games, I taught my sister-in-law's boyfriend Dominion yesterday, much to her chagrin (she's in denial that she's dating a geek).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 19th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Speaking of games, I taught my sister-in-law's boyfriend Dominion yesterday, much to her chagrin (she's in denial that she's dating a geek).

Old January 20th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Prickly Cactus

Played a 12 player game of Railways of the World tonight. It was 12 players, but 6 teams of 2 really.

One of the guys in the group is a game designer and created a huge map for this game that included the U.S., Canada and Mexico. It was like 2 1/2 by 4 feet maybe. The teams started with one player starting in the eastern part of the map and playing (with help of teammate) for the first 3 rounds over there, then on the 4th round the other player starts in the western part of the map. You have independent moves/actions once you are both on the board, but you share the money/debt.

The designer of this map also came up with variant rules for this version, as well as variant cards for it as well. It played in about 3 hours once it was set up. I've only played the regular version of the game a couple times, while my partner had played it a lot. Unfortunately I must have been the weak link as we came in 4th of the 6 teams. Very fun though.

Last edited by Hahma; January 21st, 2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:29 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Played a 12 player game of Railways of the World tonight. It was 12 players, but 6 teams of 2 really.

One of the guys in the group is a game designer and created a huge map for this game that included the U.S., Canada and Mexico. It was like 2 1/2 by 4 feet maybe. The teams started with one player starting in the eastern part of the map and playing (with help of teammate) for the first 3 rounds over there, then on the 4th round the other player starts in the western part of the map. You have independent moves/actions once you are both on the board, but you share the money/debt.

The designer of this map also came up with variant rules for this version, as well as variant cards for it as well. It played in about 3 hours once it was set up. I've only played the regular version of the game a couple times, while my partner had played it a lot. Unfortunately I must have been the weak link as we came in 4th of the 6 teams. Very fun though.

So jealous! I have all of the expansions and would love to even get six people to play. The most I have gotten to play with so far is 3 on the Mexico map a couple times.

I got to start the first scenario of Robinson Crusoe yesterday after doing a few practice rounds to get the flow. This game might surpass Dark, Darker, Darkest for my current favorite co-op. So many choices and they can come back to haunt you. Great theme and once you have played a few round, it is pretty intuitive.

Also played Steam Park again with my daughter. Fun game.

Snow day today! Hopefully will get in a bunch of games.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:10 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Wow, a 12 player train game, that is pretty hardcore.

-----

Game day yesterday featured three first time plays for me and a filler I hadn't played in a while.

Euphoria: I kick started this one but hadn't got my copy to the table yet. A lot of fun, very different style and themed worker placement game. The one big drawback is the luck factor (if you don't like too much luck in a game), as it's possible to get crazy screwed with a bad die roll to the point of making the game no fun at all. Since it was my first game I'm not sure if it was a rare outlier that coincidentally occured during my first play, but it definitely ruined the game for the player it happened too (not his first play fortunately).

Medici: A fun filler that is all about bidding and (for lack of a better word) a sort of set collection. Everyone starts with 30 points and you make bids with your points to collect goods to put on your ship (you can only hold 5). Each good has a value and everyone is vieing to have the highest sum of goods on their ship for the big point score at the end of the round but also to collect similar goods for further movement on the bonus track. The catch though is that each of the 6 different goods have the same value distribution (so there is only one good tile with value of 5 for each of the 6 different good types. So sure you can bid for those 4s and 5s to up your cargo value but now your not moving up on the bonus track very quickly since you need the same goods to do so. Definitely filler. It's fun, not one I need to own, but would play again in the same situation.

Tsuro: Haven't played this one in a couple years, and was scratching my head after we finished why I hadn't bought it yet. Super fast game (15 minutes) even with full compliment of 8 players. Each player has a piece on the board and you must place tiles (that have paths on them) next to your piece, which then moves along the trail. The object is to keep your piece on the board and be the last one standing. Simple 30 second game explanation and go.

Tzolkin: Another one I own but haven't played my copy yet. I like this one a lot (worker placement) though I should have cut bait and stopped after the game of Tsuro since I was cooked for the day at that point. I just hope I didn't ruin the experience for the other playes. Still a very good game nonetheless that I look forward to playing again.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14

Last edited by nyys; January 21st, 2014 at 10:16 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games