Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old October 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Well a complete trade embargo isnt impunity.

N.Korea is close to internal destruction anyway. The most likely scenario is some form of civil war between rival elements of the military, until the UN - probably with a Chinese/S.Korean or Japanese (least likely) lead - step in, and we get a similar situation to Bosnia-Herzogovina, except without popular divide (ie it should be peacekeeping, not peace enforcing).

How we deal with the changes in the future - a closer global community. We are in yet another period of evolution. Europe is becoming tighter, and likely in our - or our childrens - lifetimes, we'll see the Union move to a Confederation or somesuch. Maybe.

Globalisation makes politics trickier, as you ain't just accountable to your own voters - so saying you support football team X wont win a decent margin of votes; indeed actual policies will become important to sway the demographics - we're already seeing it in the UK - ok its all lip service at the moment, but thats a whole lot better than downright ignorance. Another decade or 2, they might start meaning what they say.

Anyway, theres not much we can do except use our democratic rights, remain informed and try our best to inform those who ain't so priveledged - and just hope we get some half decent people up top before the red buttons are pushed.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
dragonfire

Im in the middle of a 9th grade project now. Korea must be shown how nuclear missles are used if you know what i mean
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire
Im in the middle of a 9th grade project now. Korea must be shown how nuclear missles are used if you know what i mean
Think a little harder about what would happen if that really did occur.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Do you think that North Korea will enter direct negotiations with the U.S.? (America has not been in direct negotiations in several years.) It seems to be one of their major goals.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Master Custom Creator

No, I think this will be UN all the way. The US, or even NATO, simply doesnt have the logistical power to carry out ground warfare - or even aerial bombarment - so it wont likely put itself in the position where it goes in without UN ratification; therefore, they will push the UN to use force through international pressure and negotiations.

Old October 10th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Master Custom Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Wow Euryon, you are quite smart in this subject. I should dedicate more time to keep up with all this stuff. It's a small world "after all", and it would behoove everyone to become more and more aware of what's going on in it.
Didnt see this 'un until today. Personally, I feel its something next to a duty to be aware and informed of the state of the world, that way I can take part in discussions and hopefully impart some wisdom, and be reasonably qualified to do so (rather than just giving opinions).

Basically, I read the BBC and CNN (International!) websites daily, region by region, discounting the entertainment section; which tends to give me as little a biased account as is likely possible. I'll generally refer to other sources if cited or referred to, aswell. I refuse to read newspapers (except a couple of free ones) because they are so explicitly biased - even the broadsheets - you get about 25% news, 75% spin. I know the web isnt too much better - but they dont make cash per reader, and arent so dependent on pleasing their audience.

Old October 10th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Mr. Underhill has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
All of this was done during the cold war. The USSR was doing the exact same thing across the world. It is a little unfair to single the U.S. out on this one.
Yeah, fair call. I was merely discussing U.S. foreing policy in reference to a previously posted concept that some states in the world hate the U.S.

But you're right, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
There are no Hitlers in the world today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeBob
Yes there are.... The problem is that many other countries think that Bush is one of 'em.
Is it any wonder?

I'm just pìssed off that the nuclear weapons thing is still going on. If the world's superpowers scrapped military spending, then we as a planet could spend more on helping the needy in the world. Wouldn't this be instrumental in reducing one of the main causes of conflict - the disparity between the haves and the have-nots?

I know this sounds a bit gáy and terribly over-simplistic, but I'm not a politial scientist. I'm just a guy trying to hope for a world where my kids can grow up in peace with other human beings. We're all one family - there's no such thing as race. We're all the same, with the same needs, wants, hopes and desires.

I blame it on those damned Bilderbergs!

J
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
So, if NK is openly admiting and showing WMDs, are we going in to war like Irak, where millions of WMDs existed?

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Master Custom Creator

No.

Old October 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
If this is real, there would be a definite danger to the US, but not from Korea directly. They are starving over there. The government will do anything they can to keep the people content. With the "product" of nuclear technology available, they are sitting on a great source of income. They can turn this technology into food for the people.

They can sell this technology to Iran who has publicly stated that they will wipe Israel off the map. It is all about economics, Iran has a demand, NK has a product. It will be a simple business transaction. NK will not hesitate to sell this technology to anyone who hates right now. The bad thing for us is that most of the people who hate us can afford this.

Best estimates put Iran at about 5 years out from developing nuclear weapons on their own. The purchase of this technology could put them at under a year.

Israel will be the first to fall under this. There will be hand wringing and appeasing until New York or LA is destroyed. The UN will not be able to stop us then. It will not be a world war unless the other countries join us. This will be a simple matter of America defending itself (something which I hope we have the courage to do)

We can diffuse this; we can buy up all the technology to keep it from falling into the hater's hands, essentially NK blackmailing us. This will not keep the technology from getting to the hands of the people who want to use it forever; it will only be a matter of time before a nuclear weapon is detonated in anger.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
If Iran gets nukes, it will be to create a MAD stalemate against Israel like Pakistan vs. India. They will also use it for genuine power generation as well. Launching first strike would be suicide for Iran and while religious fanatics, they aren't that stupid. The more likely scenario for a nuclear conflict is Israel/US intentionally provoking them to attack in order to "justify" retaliation. Iran and North Korea both are rushing like mad to build nuclear arms as a deterrent to being attacked by the West because they are scared out of their undies. They should be too considering that we just invaded two of Iran's neighbors, one illegally, and have named both of them as two of our three primary enemies (what ever happened to Al Qaeda, by the way?). I think that if you don't start from the fact that both Iran and North Korea are undeniably underdogs in this whole mess in terms of the ability to project military force, you won't arrive at a very reasonable prognostication.
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
It's a shame that people think Bush is a new Hitler. Anyone who's ever seen the History Channel knows that Hitler was a good public speaker.

The only good thing Kim Jong Il has ever done was Team America: World Police. With that said, it's a bit tough for us Americans to tell other countries that they cannot have nuclear weapons when we have nuclear weapons AND we have used them twice. North Korea is a bit of a pickle in another way. I don't know about anyone else here, but I feel sorry for the NK people for having to live under Kim Jong Il's glare. At least when we bomb Iran I can take comfort knowing that our targets are religious fanatics who hate us. Small consolation.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General