Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Wyrmbear is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Vampire's Hold

Introducing my wife to the hobby, finally got her to agree to trying the game -- so I'm working up a scenario reminiscient of iconic fantasy/horror: an assault upon a Vampire lord's castle.

It will be a three-way battle, myself, my son, and my wife.

I've got 800 pts for the Vampires, including werewolves, ghostly knights, Sir Hawthorne, Khosumet, Isamu, etc. as the Castle Defenders

I've never played a three-way game, so dilemma is how many points to allow each of the other players.

I was thinking of an even match (800 - 400 - 400) at first, but then I have to weigh in the number of total opponent turns with the inherent defensibility of the castle itself.

So I ask for opinions on this issue today, for tomorrow morning is the game.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Vampire's Hold

What is the goal of the two smaller armies? Are there any special rules? If it's a three way battle, then it seems like the vampire army is at a big advantage unless there are some special rules.

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

You don't have any ranged defenders, so the castle doesn't help much except as a safe haven for your fliers (a significant, but not enormous advantage). I would say that given equally skilled players, 2x400 takes out 800 nonranged castle defenders more often than not. Since you're introducing your wife to the game, stacking the odds a bit in her favor is probably the right thing to do given the disparity in skill levels.

~Aldin, who supposes the chokepoint helps a bit as well if the attacking armies don't have much flying/range

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM

The way I'm working it in my head at the moment, is to make it a full three-way, the primary goal being the destruction of the Vampire Lord's forces, and the secondary goal of being the last player standing with the most points on the board by the 12th round.

Failure to take the castle fails the scenario.

The board itself will consist of a Bram Stoker-esque castle on cliff with a winding single-space road leading up to it, forest and rock around.
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmbear View Post
... the primary goal being the destruction of the Vampire Lord's forces, and the secondary goal of being the last player standing with the most points on the board by the 12th round.
With that scenario, I would think it's fair to have 400/400/800. You may want to consider putting a couple of glyphs inside the castle to give your wife a boost. Initiative + 8 or 20 Sided + 1 are two good options.

You may also want to allow your wife to use the X order marker as a full fourth marker. It will be easier to decide that when you design the map and know all of the specifics.

Sounds like a fun scenario. Let us know how it turns out!

Old May 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM

I'm not so sure the glyphs inside the castle are a great advantage to her...I'm the Vampires. lol Which is why I've handicapped myself to melee defenders.

I prefer to run with random glyphs though, allowing each player to grab 2 glyphs randomly and place them facedown either in neutral or enemy territory.
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Darconus has disabled reputation

You aren't used ranged defenders, but if you were, our house rule (kind of) is double points for the attackers. The inherent height of the castle makes a ranged unit that much stronger.

As it stands, though, I might consider 800 for the defending army and 500 each for the attackers.
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Assault on the Vampire's Hold.

The enemies an immortal creature of the night may create should lead to a cautious eternity...but for Cyprien Esenwein, there is no such thing.

It seems that the vampire lord has managed to offend a Dragon King with his razing of human villages under the protection of Niflheim ages ago. His anger finally come to a head, Niflheim himself has come leading a force to bring doom to the ancient dead.

He is not alone.

Recently, Cyprien managed to enslave a ninja named Isamu. In doing so, he has made a dangerous enemy of his clan of mystic assassins. To take the clan's vengeance, they have assigned three of their best to wreak havoc. They have summoned elementals and even charmed a wild troll to assist in their endeavor.

(game postponed until tomorrow...being Mother's day, I suppose I ought to allow her some leeway -- rofl)
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Awesome.

I like the gate leading onto the bridge, and the pillar with the Esenweins, Taelord, and the PK on it ^_^

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Now that is a cool map.

But don't Cyprein and Isamu fight for the same general anyway?

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Yes they do, and the other ninjas on the board fight for different generals from each other however, I enjoy creating fictional story-style scenarios.

In this case, an ages-old vampire has raised the ghosts of warriors, turned his beloved to the dark side, summoned a demon to aid him, cowed the werewolves of the forest into serving him, as well as working a charm on both a blackhearted knight and a prominent ninja of a mystic clan.

Alternatively, I suppose Utgar could have lured Isamu into his service, and that's why the other ninjas are hell-bent on killing Utgar's followers. *shrug* It would also mean that Taelord was the true leader of this band of evil incarnations.

Update: Game postponed until friday. =(
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM

GAME IN PROGRESS:

Despite the loss of a comrade to the dire curse of Mitonsoul, the Dumutef Guard and remaining 2 Anubian Wolves held the ruined keep for some time, managing to decimate the Blastatrons and their Wyvern ally before falling to the might of Niflheim and the ninja Moriko.

Afterwards, working her magical skills, the ninja Moriko brought to bear the power of Nilrend against the undead lord, Cyprien, chaining his power within himself.

Reinforcements from the keep in the form of Khosumet and the Wolves of Badru managed to defeat and devour the Dragon King Niflheim, striking a devastating blow to the morale of other side however, their single-minded attack allowed them to become surrounded by Venoc Vipers, the Feral Troll, and Water Elemental.

Now rid of the greater Flying threats, the vampire master sent forth his phantom knights and the demon Taelord to the lower walls.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios