Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Renquist has disabled reputation
THE MENAGERIE HAS IT'S OWN SITE!!

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Ok one and all, please read through this as you'll notice The Menagerie has been locked.

I would like to thank EVERYONE who has been involved in The Menagerie in any way, shape or form. Some of you have known that Heroscapers.com has been more than patient with this thread given that it is not totally HS related and has grown in a ridiculous manner. You may also have noticed the slow down in the traffic in this thread the last few days. There's a reason for that.

The Menagerie has it's own forum.

It has grown much more than a single thread could accommodate. It has become a much more immersive experience, with all new features and a much more substantial character system. This does not mean the way the game is played has changed - it's still a forum and still the same at heart.

I would ask you all remember general rules of forum conduct - no spam, read the rules etc etc.

The new site can be found at:

www.themenagerie.freeforums.org

Please come across, have a look around and see if you want to join in. No doubt you'll see some familiar faces and even some new ones.

Again, thank you to the admin and everyone here at HeroScapers. I truly appreciate you tolerating The Menagerie and giving it the opportunity to grow into something that has never quite been done before.

I won't miss anyone as I'll still be here for all my HS fixes!

Thankfully,
Renquist.

A shaft of amber light escapes the shadowed archway as the heavy door is slowly drawn inward. A rusty creak is cut abruptly short with a clang of metal as it ceases it's grind. A cowled figure steps into the lighted entrance, a redness burning in his eyes. He proceeds to draw back his hood.

A waterfall of ivory hair cascades from his shoulders to almost kiss the stone floor. He slowly rolls his neck - more of habit than by conscious effort; and drags the heavy cloak away from his frame. Tossing it to a nearby chair he stretches scarred and torn muscles and clears his throat.

Welcome one and all to my new locale. Consider this humble abode an open invitation to respite for all... if you're weary of mind or body, you may bide your time here. If you simply seek the company of others, this could be the haunt for you.... perhaps you'll find those of like intellectual pursuit or even of more.... physical interests. Should your spirit ignore such kindred spirits and simply yearn for the daunting solitude to be found in the darker corners of this facility... then as with all others, make yourself at home.

None are turned away here.

None, save those who would break certain rules or act... unbecomingly.

All rules of this forum stand here. Let me give you a brief rundown of all things expected during your visit regardless of it's duration.

CODE OF CONDUCT

1. Spam is un-allowed and certainly not appreciated. If you are going to join us, then please do so in the spirit of this locale. If you have nothing worth saying... then shut the hell up. Please.

2. As this is a family friendly location, please dispense with any unwelcome physical interactions. Violence will not be tolerated, as much as that pains me to say. Other more amorous pursuits should be done elsewhere. Regardless of consent or willingness in such actions, they are simply not allowed.

3. Whilst not a set rule, it is certainly an expectation - Please try your utmost to participate in activities in progress, or at least behave in a manner so as not to disturb the actions of others. If you act in a welcome manner, you shall be accepted, and in time be considered a valued patron.

4. Please refrain from damaging all property herein. Any restitution and/or damages required WILL be collected.

5. If you feel you can interact given the required parameters and are simply unsure of how to fit in, feel free to ask. Most regulars here shall be given a title of some sort - if you feel you can be of use, feel free to speak up.

6. The standard for role playing herein is simple. All actions should be in italics, speaking otherwise. OOC, or out of character posts should be noted to prevent confusion. Please make an effort to incorporate actions in your posts whenever practical/possible.

That's it for now, as long winded a rant that may be. I welcome ye all, do go about finding your nook inside.

Oh, and before I forget.... I shall be known to you all as Renquist. Consider me your humble host, Judicator and sometimes Sheriff herein. Let the festivities begin.

EDIT - AS POSTED ON PAGE 60.
HELP KEEP THE MENAGERIE OPEN!!

If you are a regular here, please pass this message on. I cannot stress how important this is at this point in time. Any questions regarding this post can be sent to me via pm. This is not for discussion in this thread.

The Menagerie is growing at an insane rate. This is purely due to it's popularity and I thank all regular attendants here for that. I am glad we have all been able to come together to enjoy what is HS, role playing and friendship. This is no small feat my friends - for the ban hammer to lie idle, and spamming to become almost completely absent here.

Here's the thing. We are playing an open RP on a site created for HS. As such, we should all be terribly appreciative that we're approved to be here in this capacity. It can cause some minor inconvenience for this site but, for now at least; have been given a free pass thanks to our wonderful admin members.

As such, I ask that we all keep that in mind when here. I have noticed the quality of 99.9% percent of posts here. I think that if we can clean up the .1% left, we'll reduce any possible conflict. To do that, I'm going to ask the following of all of us, including myself:

- Make sure your post is well constructed. It should be carried out in the stated fashion as per the code of conduct post. Actions, narration, conversation.

- Please make sure that your post is productive and adding something to the ongoing story here. If you're just passing through, it's perhaps unnecessary to post until you're going to stay a minute.

- If you have questions, please ask them via pm whenever possible.

- Please educate yourself on all rules, bulletins and the layout of the Menagerie per the first page.

I simply want everyone to focus on making The Menagerie the best possible experience it can be. We're still just starting, but I imagine we'll get it right quicker than we all expect.

Thanks everyone,

Renquist.

LAYOUT OF THE PREMISES

This post will be updated with any renovations to The Menagerie as they occur. All new areas will be announced as they happen in the thread as well. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the grounds and which areas you are permitted to access.

Some info as originally posted....

To the right of the entrance to the lobby, you'll find the bar - always well stocked and often a place for some revelry. We are currently looking for bar staff. Until those positions are filled, consider me at your disposal whenever I'm available.

Behind the bar there is stairway leading to the wine cellar.

To your left, you'll notice one of our fireplaces. 'Tis an immediate haven form the cold outside. Many a worthwhile conversation can be found by it's warmth.

Past the main fireplace, you can find the smaller lobby library. You should be able to find something to your liking with the modest selection here.

If your tastes are somewhat more exotic, you may find what you are looking for in my larger archive. They are located upstairs... take an immediate left and you are in the main library. Do note, the rest of that floor - save the personnel chambers -is currently closed to the public.

To the immediate rear of our main hall here, you'll notice a restricted area. It leads to the armory, my personal training room & the shooting range. You can access the shooting range, currently managed by GNS (Bloody the Marro Stinger.). I ask that you steer clear of both my training room and personal chambers.

This is my personal training facility. It is located to the rear of the lobby, as are my personal chambers - beyond the armory security gate. Both rooms are locked to the general public. Those employed as security may enter only in an emergency.

Now, past the bar and behind the stairs, you will find the rear door. It leads - via a winding tunnel to outside this facility.

It is also has a number of rooms connected to it. The first door leads to the sauna.

The second door leads to the stables - a new feature to care for all manner of creature, whether pet, workhorse or family.

Note - this tunnel has nothing to do with the system of caverns beneath the property. It simply leads outside at the present time.

Once outside, you will find a number of things on the grounds. My personal favorite would be the hot springs.

You'll also find the outdoor fireplace....

And the caves. Please note the caves are something of a personal retreat for me, and are currently available by invitation only.

My chambers are most certainly off limits, as are the network of tunnels beneath these premises.

Well honored guests, I present to you our latest addition. I hope you find yourself entertained in our new game room. It is located on the right side of the bar, to your immediate right as you enter the lobby.

You'll notice the partitioned wall and the billiard room beyond that.

Please help yourself to the secondary bar in the billiard room. As always make yourself at home. I only ask in return that you lead by example to our new and current guests here.

On the far end of the left side wall, you will find the fencing facility. You'll notice it caters to all styles and other weaponry as well. You will, however; not find any live blades herein. All weapons are for practice purposes only.

I would ask, at this point, that you formally request to use this facility. Approval shall be given on a case by case basis. I simply wish to discourage those who may misuse this facility. My personal training room is still off limits however.

On THAT note, I have made a small amendment to the library. To the right of the study, you'll find a vaulted area.

It contains some of my stranger occult collection, many as dangerous as anything in the armory. It also contains some of my personal musings and is therefore off limits to the general public.

If you head through the door to the left of and behind the bar, you'll enter a hall. The first doorway on the right leads to the kitchen.

The doorways across from it leads to the restrooms.

Past the kitchen entrance, you'll find the infirmary on the right,

And on the left, the dining room.

Employee rooms are situated upstairs, across from the library entrance. Perhaps you'll find yourself a resident here.

I try to accommodate all personal preference and tastes when having room prepared. You'll rarely find two alike.

The grounds surrounding the facility and it's common areas are largely overrun by wooded areas and forest. Many wonderous things can be found in it's depths.

They are largely unexplored. If you choose to venture there, please take caution. I cannot be held responsible for your well being should you venture that far. In the least, take someone with you.

I do not condone the hunting of the 'natural' wildlife often found there. Such an offense will have you immediately banned from the Menagerie.

I am also aware there are a number of ruins scattered about the surrounding area. Again, please exercise caution.

After a rather interesting turn of events, a storage room is now available. It can be accessed via the rear tunnel and is located beneath the lobby. this is the only cavern available under the Menagerie available at this time.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM

DEATHWALKER has disabled reputation
walks in
Is this place under a volcano?
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Renquist unfurls a large parchment and proceeds to pull a large nail from his rear pocket, plunging it into the wall and pinning it in place. It appears to be a bulletin of sorts......

EVENTS CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS
(OOC Note: All event related actions must be acted out in this thread. Events do not conflict with employment and employees are equal to any other participant unless otherwise stated. Results should be pm'd Renquist upon completion of the event for verification.)

Cartography challenge!
10/15 - 10/22.

I require a map for our guests at the Menagerie, to help them orient themselves with the area. Such a map would be posted with the bulletin. You should all be familiar with the layout by now, I would ask that you construct a map, by any means necessary and forward it to me.

The map will be chosen on the quality of the map and how well I feel it represents the current layout of the Menagerie.

The creator of the chosen map will be allowed to run their own event. I only ask that the event and it's structure be approved by myself. The creative process is all yours!

(Use photoshop, paintbrush, scan a drawing, whatever. Read through the layout in the first post and use your imagination. Check my concept on page 99.)

HAVE AN IDEA FOR AN EVENT? WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN EVENT? PM RENQUIST WITH THE DETAILS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POSITIONS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.
Please PM your host with all bids or interests.
If you feel you could be of 'official' use in a manner not listed, please PM your host.

Doorman - off shift. Reports to Roland
As the name implies. Responsible for both initially greeting regular guests and newcomers, acting in an allowed manner as far as security is concerned, keeping an ever watchful eye on The Menagerie.

Barkeep - all shifts. (The more the better.)
Enjoy yourself whilst helping our guests enjoy themselves. You'll find the bar stocked with all manner of beverages... and otherwise. Experienced personnel need only apply.

Chef/s all shifts
Make use of our state of the art facilities and provide our patrons with a their extremely broad culinary desires. Fame, or perhaps infamy are yours.

Tailor
Pad your finely crafted pockets with the financial appreciation of the many who will request your works. And please, help Johnny out....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POSITIONS CURRENTLY FILLED

General Manager
Necroblade/Risis

Shooting Range Manager
Bloody The Marrow Stinger/Gn-Re-St

Concierge
Fuzzie Fuzz/Snar the celestial ninja.

Doorman/Head of security
Roland.

Groundskeeper
Johnny 139/Nhojyn

Public Training Room Manager
Ravven Demonwing

Master Librarian/Assistant to Security
Argent/Alexander Ravenhurst

Medical Assitant
Ted/Theodurous Storm

Stable Hand/Manager
Syvarris/Trispi

Sauna & Hot spring Manager
Silver1327/Ju Ken Ra

Healer
Ted/Theodurous Storm

Chef
DictatorBilbo/Old man Jenkins

Intergrated Security Droid
DEATHWALKER

Messenger/Concierge
Venom

Physician
Brickman1444/Dr Frakenstein

Physician's Assistant/Medic
DeadeyeDan42/Nelson

This bulletin shall be updated as positions are filled accordingly.
Please feel free to pm me should you have a suggestion for employment or any applications.

ITEMS OF INTEREST
(Other things worthy of mention)

- Roland has asked that any requests for room alterations or item fabrications be directed to him via pm. Many people will attest to his skill with such matters, myself included.

- If you haven't collected your reward for the escapee bounty hunt as yet, get off your butt. I'm not tracking you down. You don't claim it, tough luck.

- These are hardly jobs so I thought I place these here - noone has inquired as to the possibility of opening a business within the Menagerie. I for one, see the possibilities in perhaps running a small store front supplying guests here with possible adventuring needs. I'm open to inquiries, but your prices had best be right.

Regards,

Renquist.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATHWALKER
walks in
Arches a cautious eyebrow....

No DW. It most certainly is not.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
walks in
Gn-Re-St walks in. Though he is but a Stinger, he walks with a commanding posture. Looking closer, his eyepiece is black. He chuckles at the robot's question.
Greetings. I am Stinger Commander Gn-Re-St. No violence goes on in this place? Such a shame... but I will make the best of it.
As for you, Deathwalker, we are clearly not in a volcano, not to my knowledge, anyways.
Gn-Re-St looks at the Deathwalker's production number plate.
It is clear that you are a Deathwalker 9000 model by your look. What is your production number, robot?

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Ceases his fumbling behind the bar and plants both hands frimly on the counter. He leans forward a little and glances at the latest guest.

Welcome Gn-Re whatchamacallit. Do please make yourself at home. I'm sure you two can amuse one another. I presently have more pressing business to attend to.

Oh - and please read the rules as posted. I'd hate to see such potential be wasted.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM

we're not? good. that means I don't have to worry about catching pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!

Sorry, I'm a bit sesquipedalian

I just hope no one here has hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM

jaques has disabled reputation
You've gotten all turned around, DW. The entrance to the Volcanic Grotto is two forums over and four threads down.

That sulfur you're smelling, I'm sorry to admit, is a residue from the explosion of my most recent invention.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
we're not? good. that means I don't have to worry about catching pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!

Sorry, I'm a bit of a sesquipedalian

Take your nonsense to The Tavern DW. This isn't the place.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:

Sorry, I'm a bit of a sesquipedalian

Deathwalker, if you hope to impress me with long words, you are mistaken as to your priorities. I'll say no more.
Gn-Re-St moves closer to the Deathwalker 9000 model.
Now tell me, robot, what is your production number?
Gn-Re-St turns around to face Jaques.
Now, Jaques, what species are you? This place, I'm sure, will make you feel right at home.

Old October 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Quote:
walks in
Gn-Re-St walks in. Though he is but a Stinger, he walks with a commanding posture. Looking closer, his eyepiece is black. He chuckles at the robot's question.
Greetings. I am Stinger Commander Gn-Re-St. No violence goes on in this place? Such a shame... but I will make the best of it.
As for you, Deathwalker, we are clearly not in a volcano, not to my knowledge, anyways.
Gn-Re-St looks at the Deathwalker's production number plate.
It is clear that you are a Deathwalker 9000 model by your look. What is your production number, robot?
I'm... not sure.
For the record, though, I am not Deathwalker 9000. I do, however, posses the abilities of all 9 Deathwalkers

talks rapidly and that includes Deathwalker 7000's self destruct ability! abruptly explodes

pulls self back together... literally I'll try not to hurt anyone, though
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Unstable prototype expiriments. Interesting...
In any case, Deathwalker, I am sure you will feel more at home in the Tavern. This is not your place for your antics of exploding.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General