Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old October 14th, 2021, 04:13 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ungoliant - The Silmarillion

When I saw this model placed next to the model for my Morgoth Custom, the resemblance of Ungoliant was prominent, so I decided to give a shot at making her!

UNGOLIANT - Silmarillion

Actual figure image
Spoiler Alert!

Figure name: Phase Spider - Nolzur’s Marvelous Minis

My Melkor custom had quite a few changes to get where he is. This is my first rendition of Ungoliant, so changes are liable to be made. There is a lot of wording on this card.

I couldn't recall much of Ungoliants background and characteristics, so the "One Wiki to Rule Them All" page on her was a good reference.

Her 3 abilities all follow her character theme.

Monstrous Growth relates to the affect had on her through absorbing/draining energy from foes, gems and the light from the trees of Valinor, resulting in her monstrous enlarged form.

Unsatiable Hunger relates to her rumored eventual demise, devouring herself, caused by her ever-growing hunger, and is used to keep Monstrous Growth in check.

Web Weave was an attempt at making her more interesting combatively and to bring in theme from the events of her trapping Morgoth in her dark webs, resulting in Morgoth crying out to his Balrogs which awaken to free him.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; October 15th, 2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old October 14th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Ungoliant - The Silmarillion

I would reverse the order of the first two powers so you know where the markers come from right off the bat.

Why Climb X3? Move of 7 only allows one to climb 6 levels or 5 if he is double spaced so x2 should be plenty.

Web Weaving is pretty cool but I am not sure if 'moves around an enemy' is legal jargon.
Fairly clear though.

The OM removal seems brutal. What is the reasoning on that?
Old October 14th, 2021, 06:32 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I would reverse the order of the first two powers so you know where the markers come from right off the bat.

Why Climb X3? Move of 7 only allows one to climb 6 levels or 5 if he is double spaced so x2 should be plenty.

Web Weaving is pretty cool but I am not sure if 'moves around an enemy' is legal jargon.
Fairly clear though.

The OM removal seems brutal. What is the reasoning on that?
Thanks for the pointers. OM was a misprint. Supposed to be Wound marker!
I'll adjust the order of the abilities right now.

Climb X3 was just being the same as the Fyorlag. I suppose it should be X2 with height 4. He is actually a she. Was an autogenerated ability in MSE. I'll fix that.

Yea, the Web Weaving description is odd, but as you said, makes enough sense. I'll stick with it until something better comes along. I don't think it'd be too far off legally if there was a visual representation example, like is used with Mimrings Fire Line. A bit limited on text space at this point.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; October 14th, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old October 14th, 2021, 07:59 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ah, one of my favorite characters in the Silmarillion. Oddly Lovecraftian for Tolkien's work.

Between 3 defense and self-wounding, I'd consider bumping her Life to 6 or even 8. She is extremely monstrous so it seems appropriate. Yes she heals herself and can get a lot of Defense but even so you're at good odds of her only having 3 Life at the start of most Rounds.

Due to C3V's Breach, the use of clockwise and counterclockwise can be used and still be worded in an "official" way:

"During Ungoliant's move, if she moves 3 or more spaces clockwise or counterclockwise around a single figure while remaining adjacent to that figure, you may place a Web Marker..."

This would prevent her from moving 3 spaces by just moving back and forth if that's a concern.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old October 14th, 2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Between 3 defense and self-wounding, I'd consider bumping her Life to 6 or even 8. She is extremely monstrous so it seems appropriate. Yes she heals herself and can get a lot of Defense but even so you're at good odds of her only having 3 Life at the start of most Rounds.

Due to C3V's Breach, the use of clockwise and counterclockwise can be used and still be worded in an "official" way:

"During Ungoliant's move, if she moves 3 or more spaces clockwise or counterclockwise around a single figure while remaining adjacent to that figure, you may place a Web Marker..."

This would prevent her from moving 3 spaces by just moving back and forth if that's a concern.
I will certainly experiment with the life change.
Was also considering giving Monstrous Growth a max of 3, adding another 5 or so to your roll.
And that is a great idea for reuse of the clockwise/counterclockwise function!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs