Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Played a little more PACG as Seelah last night after our Pathfinder RPG session. She nearly died, but we ultimately pulled out a win with time to spare. Today I got in two games of Classic/VC and a C3G game. The two classic games I played 4xThoresby Woodsmen + Raelin, but my ally played a different army both times, and our opponent ran two different armies each time. Then for the C3G game I ran two 1000pt. armies, Batman Inc. and a Green Lantern squad, against Mole Man + Super Apes and the Yellow Lanterns. The good guys pulled out the win!

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
However, how come everyone in the board gaming "scene" turns up their nose at Monopoly, and then will play this game? This game is essentially just euro Monopoly. I'm not saying that as an insult, I like Monopoly. It's not really any less luck based and the trading aspect is better in Monopoly. It's shorter, but among the board gaming crowd that's not really a reason.
Two words: Roll 'nMove.

23 words: Catan has many more choices, like where to place your starting locations, where to build, what to try to build, and so on.
But trading and the auction rule (that no one uses) mitigate Roll and Move. I'd also argue that while the mechanics in Catan are less luck based, the games in Monopoly are longer so the randomness has a chance to even out more. I understand that with an unlucky roll, you could land on someone's Boardwalk with a hotel and get vaporized, but that's kind of your fault for letting that player get a Monopoly that good.

Monopoly too has choices of what to build where, but less of them. I'm willing to concede even that Catan is the superior game, but I still don't understand why Monopoly is so hated. It's a good game and while perhaps inferior to Catan, it's still not far behind it.

I think it's because Monopoly is one of the few board games with a semblance of complexity that is super popular among "common folk", so there is a sort of hipster overreaction. So even though "objectively" the game is a 6-7/10 people treat it as if it's absolutely horrible.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Baloney. I hate Monopoly. I'm perfectly happy with chess, or traditional card games. I just find Monopoly incredibly boring.

Spare me the armchair psychology, and trust me enough to know my own mind, please.

And Diplomacy is great. But, of course, you don't roll and move in Dip, cards, or chess. Which I doubt is a coincidence, but you be the judge.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
I saw a couple playing Settlers of Catan so I joined them. It's a fun game.

However, how come everyone in the board gaming "scene" turns up their nose at Monopoly, and then will play this game? This game is essentially just euro Monopoly. I'm not saying that as an insult, I like Monopoly. It's not really any less luck based and the trading aspect is better in Monopoly. It's shorter, but among the board gaming crowd that's not really a reason.
I used to like Monopoly. I used to like Settlers. I've since realized there are enough games that are simply better that I no longer want to waste my time on either and I find both a bit boring, honestly. Settlers is the classic gateway game, I guess, but I'm so far past the gateway at this point, I have no desire to revisit.

Honestly, my major beef with both games is they tend to reward the front runners a bit too much and if you get behind enough in either, you're forced to just wait it out until the end with little chance of winning. I don't care for games with endgame that drags on while I'm ostensibly out of the running.

Give me Dominion, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Pathfinder ACG, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Doomtown, Dead of Winter, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, Marvel Legendary, Summoner Wars, Memoir 44, Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, Agricula, Kingsberg, and dozens and dozens of others before asking me to play either of those ones again.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 26th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

We got our second Kickstarter of the month on Friday, when our four Pairs decks arrived. We experimented with it as a two player game; it worked better when we played with three. Fun little game, and I like what I see in the alternate games, which are different for each pack.

We got the Goblin, Pirate, Elemental, and Baby Cthulu decks.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old October 26th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Got in some gaming with @JUSTchris , @stubobj , @Raider30 this past weekend.

PACG x 2 - Raider30 and I continued on with our campaign.
Alien Encounters x 2 - Won the first game (movie). It was GAME OVER for the 2nd game (movie). In fact I got chest-bursted.
Xwing - Ye old Shuttle + Krasis and 2 Academy Pilots bested Han, Airen, and Horton.
7th Hero x 3 - Not a bad little game. Along the lines of love letter, but with a better theme.
Dragon Rampage - The Emo Paladin just slayed the crap out o the dragon.
King of Tokyo - Hmm, I don't remember much of this one
Arkham Horror - We were able to clear all the gates and win.

I also know that Marvel Dice Masters and Doomtown were played.

Good Times!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 26th, 2014, 01:51 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Got in some gaming with @JUSTchris , @stubobj , @Raider30 this past weekend.

PACG x 2 - Raider30 and I continued on with our campaign.
Alien Encounters x 2 - Won the first game (movie). It was GAME OVER for the 2nd game (movie). In fact I got chest-bursted.
Xwing - Ye old Shuttle + Krasis and 2 Academy Pilots bested Han, Airen, and Horton.
7th Hero x 3 - Not a bad little game. Along the lines of love letter, but with a better theme.
Dragon Rampage - The Emo Paladin just slayed the crap out o the dragon.
King of Tokyo - Hmm, I don't remember much of this one
Arkham Horror - We were able to clear all the gates and win.

I also know that Marvel Dice Masters and Doomtown were played.

Good Times!
I had a great time playing games with you guys.
Doomtown Reloaded - Ive been itching to play this for awhile now. Since I hadn't played it much it was a little difficult explaining the rules and remembering everything. I'll be trying this on OCTGN so I can understand it better before trying to explain to new players.
Marvel Dice Masters x 3 - Raidor30 won all 3 games against my Avengers team. My Hulk never made in impact but Raidor's Silver Sufer was awesome for him and then the last game his Angel's did the work since I never had a level high enough to block him.
King or Tokyo - Took Tokyo early and stuck around for a couple turns. Left when I was down to 3-4 health but then rolled plenty of hearts to go back to full health. I didn't have a problem getting my hearts when needed and towards the end of the game I was getting 3s to lead me to victory.
Arkham Horror - This didnt really feel like a long game since theres little down town in the game but I believe or game took about 3hrs. It was fun and I enjoyed it and would play again but only if there wasn't other shorter games we wanted to play.

Saturday night I then went to a buddies and played a 4player game of MTG Commander. This ended up being an epic 6hr game. I was playing my Zedruu Group Hug against tokens, blink, and lifegain. I got off to a really horribly slow start. I had to aggressively mulligan to more lands and then I didnt see any of my artifact ramp. At least I did get a few good draw spells and a board sweep. Zedruu was kept in check most of the game. I almost made everyone concede when I played a card that randomly gave players permanents from the battlefield until all permanents had been given away. At the time the token deck had 24 creatures out and the blink deck had at least 8 with multiple other permanents. This is one of my was to really mess with the game and possibly allow me to win depending on how things get distributed. But I also didnt want the game to end in a concession so I played my only other card in my hand ... a land. And with me having no creatures they killed me. A little bummed how that went down but at least the game only went 2 more turns.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just finished the first scenario of PACG Skull and Shackles with 4 players. We defeated the villain with one card left in the blessings deck. It felt more difficult than I remember the first first scenario being. I am not sure I get the ship card and why it magically shows up at the current players position, unless anchored, but I guess it may get more use in later scenarios. We never saw the need to use its ability to take other heroes with the current player to a different location. I am cooling to the game, but LoB loves it, so I guess I will be playing it.
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Just finished the first scenario of PACG Skull and Shackles with 4 players. We defeated the villain with one card left in the blessings deck. It felt more difficult than I remember the first first scenario being. I am not sure I get the ship card and why it magically shows up at the current players position, unless anchored, but I guess it may get more use in later scenarios. We never saw the need to use its ability to take other heroes with the current player to a different location. I am cooling to the game, but LoB loves it, so I guess I will be playing it.

I have found that Skulls and Shackles is tougher than RotR. In RotR you could just max out your character in what he was good at and wing it. In S&S it seems that you have to spread out the modifiers best you can.

The ship is a bit clunky. And, it's still clunky in the future scenarios...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:55 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

I just finished the first scenario from Skull and Shackles as well. While I enjoy the game very much, I don't get the ship at all. Seems like a throw in to add something new to the system.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!

Played a game of Kemet last night. We played to eight victory points. At the end, all three players had eight victory points, so it had to go to the tiebreaker (number of VPs from winning battles). I won in this fashion.

I have also been soloing Prophecy lately, playing with increasing difficulty (adding power-up tokens of increasing number to the astral planes, which makes it harder to defeat the guardians). I've been using the Dragon Realm expansion. And I just ordered the second expansion, Water World, for which I've been waiting for eight years to come out in an English version!

@IAmBatman : I agree with what you say about Monopoly and Settlers. I only played Settlers once, and that was enough for me. I never needed a gateway game (when I was ten years old, I went from playing cops and robbers to playing Dungeons and Dragons). I grew up on the old Avalon Hill wargames, which tend to be more complicated than the various Euro and Ameritrash games that we love so much today. So I never went through a Settlers phase.

Old October 26th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Played another game of Dungeon Command with my daughter. This was the first time we made our own warbands and decks. Such a great game. I'm disappointed the Magic boardgame wasn't an extension of Dungeon Command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games