Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old September 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Werewolf role/card game

I've seen a bit of buzz about this game, and think it was played at Kublacon by a huge group of people sitting at an empty table in a room.

(it's night, so they're all "sleeping")

What is it like?
I read up on it at BGG and it looks quite interesting and might be fun in the right group. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/925

Here's a file made by our own LordRaidor who hopefully can enlighten us about this game. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/16562/Wolfen.pdf

I also heard it can be played online and was wondering if he could maybe run a group of HSers thru this game, acting as the Storyteller.
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:49 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
This game is SO badly ripped off from the popular free version we play all the time. We call it "Mafia" and there's two mafia, a doctor (to save people), and a Sherriff (to investigate people). DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

If you want to know the full rules we play with, PM me.
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:52 PM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
We call it witch hunt. i forget all the roles, but it involves witches :P
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Aw jeez, I thought this was going to be a discussion on Werewolf: the Apocolypse (RPG) and Werewolf: Rage (CCG) Best CCG game mechanics ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar
This game is SO badly ripped off from the popular free version we play all the time. We call it "Mafia" and there's two mafia, a doctor (to save people), and a Sherriff (to investigate people). DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

If you want to know the full rules we play with, PM me.
There are plenty of free Werewolf (as well as Mafia - I don't recall ever seeing Witch Hunt, but then again I never looked) downloads out there. I have three different Werewolf sets (I have neither printed nor played any of them), although I am less than thrilled by their artistic style of any of them (read that they look like crap). The 'for-sale' Werewolf cards are at least aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Important Addendum: I wrote the above while I was downloading Lord Raidor's version of the Werewolf game, in his version the Werewolves are referred to as Wolfen. His cards may be B&W, but the images/fonts are consistant style-wise and are artistically pleasing. Additionally his Introduction/Set up for his version with its "Lost" feel is just a great little bit of fluff! Each of the Villager/Victim cards comes with the same type of fluff making each player an individual which only enhances the feel of the game for the newbie. All in all I would give his attempt at revisioning the game a 4.5 out of 5.

Thanks for the link Reaper, for anyone considering the game you should indeed check it out it is by far the best of the free Print and Play sets.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:25 AM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
uh - thanks for the comments - I was hoping that people would... uh.... TALK about the gameplay?!

I'm wondering what it's like.

How long is a game? (say, for 12 people)
Can everyone be new other than the Storyteller?
How do people's identities stay secret when they are all at the same table - surely you'll know when the person next to you moves or gets up and their secret will be blown.

The mechanics don't make sense to me.
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I have never played, as stated before, but I would believe it is simple enough that as long as the storyteller understood the rules/concepts all could be newbies and would still work out fine. According to BGG the playtime is appx. 60 mins. The movement of relatively close players bugged me also, I thought I would suggest (if I ever played) that all players must rock in their chairs when the storytellers wakes victims/werewolves. This way there would not be a single mover, but many.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
I'm a fan of Shadows Over Camelot - it's a co-operative boardgame, which blends a mix of "players versus the system" co-operation, with "one of you might be a traitor" Werewolf style paranoia.
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Admin & Retired PuppetMaster

LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Curse of the Wolfen?!?

Hey neat, ...Reaper found one of my BGG files... ^_^

Yeah, "Curse of the Wolfen" is my version of an age-old who-dunnit-style party game called 'Mafia' or 'Werewolf' that is just played with a simple deck of cards and 6 or more people. I just collected a bunch of different variants from a slew of internet sources and amalgamated them into what I feel is the 'best' form of the game. It's not real pretty to look at (again, my poor graphix abilities shine through), but it is fun to play, and it's free... ^_^

The game is better if the Storyteller has a good idea what he or she is doing, but even a group of total newbs can play and get the feel for it. You can play a 6-player game (the smallest possible) in 10 minutes, and a 12-player game in an hour. In theory, my set will handle up to 24 players, but I've never gotten that many together...

Players 'giving away' their roles isn't really a problem. We have the sleeping players make 'night noise' (see my rules for details) like tapping the floor, humming softly, etc., during the 'night' phases. 'Movement' by the players interacting with the Storyteller is minimal - usually just raising their heads and pointing silently, while continuing their own 'night noises', of course. I've never had a game where someone inadvertantly gave themselves away at night...

In any case, I do think it's a fun game, with the right crowd. I even mutated it into a 'simplified-and-PG-rated-for-kids' version with a HeroScape theme called The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa, which we tossed out in Codex issue #3...

Another angle of this game that hasn't been addressed here yet is that it can very easily be played ONLINE, via e-mail, live chat, or even in a community forum just like this one...

^_^

If enough people are interested, I'd be glad to host an 'online' version here at 'Scapers.com (now that my monumental 'Zaravi Contest' is resolved). Heck, I might even be able to furnish a prize...

Download the Codex#3 (or hit the 'Ne-Gok-Sa' link above) and check out the full rules. If anyone would like to participate in a game here in the forums, just sound-off in this thread. If we get more than 8 or 9 bites, I'll host a game and we'll show Reaper how it works...

And thanx for the props, Malechi.

^_^
-LordRaidor-
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
THE Ungrateful Whorebath

cbs42 knows what's in an order marker cbs42 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRaidor
If enough people are interested, I'd be glad to host an 'online' version here at 'Scapers.com (now that my monumental 'Zaravi Contest' is resolved). Heck, I might even be able to furnish a prize...
I'm up for an online game, even without a prize!
That's an awesome idea!
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:14 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Werewolf: Rage (CCG) Best CCG game mechanics ever!
I loved Rage! If only I could find my cards...and people to play with. That game seemed to quickly disappear from the face of the earth.

Man...RENT ASUNDER! Golgol Fangs-First! Fang Necklace! I have to find those cards!
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Re: Curse of the Wolfen?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRaidor
If enough people are interested, I'd be glad to host an 'online' version here at 'Scapers.com
Yes
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Baconsteak has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Werewolf: Rage (CCG) Best CCG game mechanics ever!
I loved Rage! If only I could find my cards...and people to play with. That game seemed to quickly disappear from the face of the earth.

Man...RENT ASUNDER! Golgol Fangs-First! Fang Necklace! I have to find those cards!
Yea Rage was awesome!! I still have all mine tucked away in my closet... It died off right after the "Legacy of the Tribes" expansion... always wished I coulda got more of those, only got one foil out of that set

Golgol was the shizznit... Slap the Gunnar Draugerbane past life on him with a Grand clave, Frenzy and start cutting everything in half.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games