Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 6th, 2024, 10:40 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

L
Well met!

Looking good!

CAPTAIN XUE
General: Vydar
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Tricky, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 5, Range 7, Attack 3, Defense 3

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 20 or higher, that figure rolls one additional die. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.
TAIYANGFENG SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 8, Attack 3
After attacking normally, Captain Xue may attack with Taiyangfeng Special Attack. Choose a figure to attack. All figures adjacent to that figure are affected. Roll defense dice separately.

125 points

Last edited by kolakoski; January 7th, 2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old January 7th, 2024, 12:29 AM

SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 20 or higher, that figure rolls one additional die. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.
Part of what makes this power clunky is the fact that you have a 5% chance to do something that has a 50%/33% chance - a possibility to do something that has a possibility of working. I think it would benefit greatly from becoming only one die roll (i.e. a d20 roll to get an automatic skull/shield), and then having the requirements altered to balance that.
Old January 7th, 2024, 08:44 AM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWhale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
Part of what makes this power clunky is the fact that you have a 5% chance to do something that has a 50%/33% chance - a possibility to do something that has a possibility of working. I think it would benefit greatly from becoming only one die roll (i.e. a d20 roll to get an automatic skull/shield), and then having the requirements altered to balance that.
I considered that; I don’t know why I let it go.

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 20 or higher, that figure rolls one automatic Skull or Shield, respectively. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

Conceptually, Captain Xue’s Edge reflects the particular close combat training her crew receives. It is intentionally high variance. I’m open to other methods of doing the same thing.

P.S.: Ahhh! Only one roll! Duh! It took me this long to understand.

P.P.S.: I have always rolled the 20-sider separately from Attack or Defense dice and have never seen such a combined roll performed.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 7th, 2024 at 11:19 AM.
Old January 7th, 2024, 11:26 AM

Well met!

After revising once again:

CAPTAIN XUE

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 20 or higher, that figure rolls one automatic skull or shield, respectively. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.
TAIYANGFENG SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 8, Attack 3
After attacking normally, Captain Xue may attack with Taiyangfeng Special Attack. Choose a figure to attack. All figures adjacent to that figure are affected. Roll defense dice separately.

125 points

I’m thinking that, aside from refining the wording of Edge, this version of Captain Xue may actually be in completed form and ready for testing.

Thanks to all who commented!

P.S.: Testing begins January 17th!

Last edited by kolakoski; January 12th, 2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old January 9th, 2024, 09:39 AM

Well met!

We have a card, thanks to mac122!

Old January 12th, 2024, 04:10 PM

Well met!

Super excited to be testing Captain Xue at our next Gang gathering on January 17th. In anticipation of playing two games, I'll be fielding the following two armies in a 600 point, themed scenario of chas' design:

Women Only
150 WoA x 3
140 Eltahale
125 Captain Xue
60 Elaria the Pale
35 Seleena
600 points, 13 spaces

Soldiers, Warriors and Their Leaders
200 Romans x 4
125 Captain Xue
120 Venoc Warlord
100 Marcus
50 Me-Burq-Sa
595 points, 21 spaces

We'll be looking at how she plays, how much tweaking, if any, Captain Xue's Edge might merit, and, of course, what would be the best price for her. I'm also wondering if eschewing Elaria the Pale with her is ever a good idea, but the second army's theme requires it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

We will be modifying Captain Xue's Edge as follows:

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice for or against a normal attack against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 20 or higher, that figure adds 1 automatic skull or shield to whatever is rolled. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

P.S.: We'll also see whether the easy and obvious choice of Personality might better be eschewed for something else more standalone.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 14th, 2024 at 09:48 PM.
Old January 16th, 2024, 05:33 PM

Well met!

Had a phone conversation with chas today. Finalized my armies, including swapping in Mogrimm for the Venoc Warlord.

Two rows of hexes will be added to the Start Zones to accommodate two armies per Start Zone, with a third army (determined by each team) arriving from off map after two Rounds. All figures from the third army will have to be on the map by the end of Round 5.

Referencing the above, my personal preference would be to avoid duplications as much as possible. To that end, I suggested:

With chas playing his two armies together in Game 1, as planned:

Game 1

Team 1

chas
Nilfheim 185
Atlaga 90
Protectors of Ullar x2 220
Clawfoot Interceptors x2 100
Total: 595 11 Spaces

chas
Kantono Daishi 120
Moriko 110
Kumiko 80
Mika Connor 110
Agent Nora 75
Total: 595 6 Spaces

Sherman
Marcus Decimus Gallus 100
Roman Legionnaires x3 150
10 Regiment of Foot x3 225
Total: 475, 24 Spaces (dropping 1 Roman)

Team 2

kolakoski
Warriors of Ashra x3 150
Captain Xue 125 (Playtest Custom Figure)
Eltahale 140
Elaria The Pale 60
Selena 35
Total: 600, 13 Spaces

Taeblewalker
Erevan Sunshadow 80
Master Woo 140
Shaolin Monks x2 160
Fen Hydra 120
Elite Onyx Vipers 100

Thrasher
Ataraxis The Starlich 160
Marcu Eisenwein 20
Skeletons of Annilinta x3 315
Iskra & Rechts 100
Total: 595, 18 Spaces

And drafting Taeblewalker to field two armies in Game 2:

Game 2

Team 1

kolakoski
Roman Legionnaires x4
Captain Xue 125
Mogrimm Forgehammer 120
Marcus Decimus Gallus 100
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Total: 595, 21 Spaces

Sherman
Nilfheim 185
Charos 210
Greenscales x3 180
Total: 575, 13 Spaces

chas
Kantono Daishi 120
Moriko 110
Kumiko 80
Mika Connor 110
Agent Nora 75
Total: 595 6 Spaces

Team 2

Taeblewalker
Omicron Snipers x5 500
Omicron Replicators 40
Zetacron 60
Total: 600, 20 Spaces

Taeblewalker
Erevan Sunshadow 80
Master Woo 140
Shaolin Monks x2 160
Fen Hydra 120
Elite Onyx Vipers 100

Thrasher
Eltahale 140
Axentia 180
Josie Whistlestop 70
Warriors of Ashra x4
Otonashi 10
Total: 600, 16 Spaces

P.S.: Had another talk with chas. Assuming there are no objections and everyone shows, we'll be going with these matchups. Really, really looking forward to this!

Old January 19th, 2024, 11:01 AM

Well met!

The Gang had a fun day playing chas' reimagining of Sherman's last scenario yesterday. The matchups were as in the previous post.

Thrasher, sitting to my right, made a mockery of the first game, with ridiculously good die rolling. It was not a real test for Captain Xue as a result, but it was clear that her Special Attack was way too strong (and her Edge was useless), and chas strongly objected to her previous concept (17th century pirate) being jettisoned in favor of her being an armed spaceship captain. For the second game, Sherman sat on my right, and began with so much luck that he decided that it must be the chair, and I was again on the winning side of a slaughter. Meanwhile, a revised Captain Xue (with a stronger Edge that actually had some effect, and Double Attack reinserted in place of her Special Attack) played well, and will be tested further in Thrasher's pod draft scenario in February. For now, she looks like this:

CAPTAIN XUE

PLASMA POWDER SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 7, Attack 3
When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever is rolled. When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, she may attack one additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice for or against a normal attack against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, that figure adds 1 automatic skull or shield to whatever is rolled. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

125 points

Old January 19th, 2024, 11:06 AM

Well met!

The Gang had a fun day playing chas' reimagining of Sherman's last scenario yesterday. The matchups were as in the previous post.

Thrasher, sitting to my right, made a mockery of the first game, with ridiculously good die rolling. It was not a real test for Captain Xue as a result, but it was clear that her Special Attack was way too strong (and her Edge was useless), and chas strongly objected to her previous concept (17th century pirate) being jettisoned in favor of her being an armed spaceship captain. For the second game, Sherman sat on my right, and began with so much luck that he decided that it must be the chair, and I was again on the winning side of a slaughter. Meanwhile, a revised Captain Xue (with a stronger Edge that actually had some effect, and Double Attack reinserted in place of her Special Attack) played well, and will be tested further in Thrasher's pod draft scenario in February.

Captain Xue's Edge has turned out to be the leadership power I was looking for. But Double Attack isn't enough to reflect the uniqueness of her pistols. Borrowing the mechanic of Captain Xue's Edge, I've come up with Plasma Powder Special Attack. For now, she looks like this:

CAPTAIN XUE

PLASMA POWDER SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 7, Attack 3
When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever is rolled. When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, she may attack one additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice for or against a normal attack against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, that figure adds 1 automatic skull or shield to whatever is rolled. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

125 points

Old January 19th, 2024, 12:51 PM

SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby!

Plasma Powder Special Attack is the same as giving her double attack and letting her be affected by Xue's Edge, but with the guise of it being a Special Attack. With that, you don't have any reason to ever use her normal attack.
Old January 19th, 2024, 01:20 PM

Well met!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWhale View Post
Plasma Powder Special Attack is the same as giving her double attack and letting her be affected by Xue's Edge, but with the guise of it being a Special Attack. With that, you don't have any reason to ever use her normal attack.
True. What would you suggest?

Old January 19th, 2024, 01:41 PM

Quite honestly, I think ability from Xue's Edge would be best reserved as an effect in the Special Attack, and you can adjust stats to make both the special and the normal attack options that are worth picking (perhaps increased normal attack, but 1 range?).

Xue's Edge is currently a 25 percent chance to boost any die roll, from any figure in your army, regardless of where they are (but boosted if near Xue). In an army that has a 3 or 4-man bonding squad, that's likely to take effect at least once every turn you take. And while I recommended reducing it to a single die roll every attack, that's still a d20 roll every single time someone attacks. Having it be contained to her special attack could keep the fun effect, and maybe even allow you to expand on it - it's currently essentially an extra attack die that just has different odds.

That being said, I know this goes away from your thematic goals with Xue's Edge, this is mostly thinking about the figure mechanically. There's probably a different way to get the thematic effect you're aiming for!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards