Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 11th, 2022, 12:56 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Heroscape 2 Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemaster View Post
I'm reading estimates that the Master Set will be going for $100+ dollars on release, which seems absolutely ludicrous to me. If I remember right, the original Set was $40 and came with a ton of terrain and figures, more than anything else released since.

At such a high price point, I know I won't be able to be able to pick up more than one Master Set, and I don't know if I would even want to if they are that expensive AND unpainted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
When I look at the heroquest set for $130 it makes me cringe cause I know I wouldn't buy it. They can choose to provide unpainted figures to simplify production, but the price should be reasonable to reflect that
Prices are just not the same as they were when the game came out. The $40 master set back in... 2004? Was before oil prices spiked not long after that, which spiked plastic prices. Plastic prices have only gone up since then, on top of the inflation of all other materials. Games with miniatures are just much more expensive now than they used to be. You can't compare the stuff they make now, pricewise, with the RotV set, or even the BftU set (which even in 2009 was way less plastic for a similar price). You have to look at other games with plastic minis like this (Heroquest, for instance) and what they sell for. One of the main reasons they are going with unpainted is that labor costs for painting minis have *also* gone up, and they want to try to keep it affordable. At the same time, they're also going for top-grade minis, which I think will only help the game succeed in the market--people love buying minis, and the cross-compatibility of these figures, scale-wise, with other games will only help with that in terms of selling product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemaster View Post
Less a prediction and more a hope, I hope they release a bulk "terrain" set that focuses on just putting out a ton of hexes, even if it comes with no figures.
I am hoping they split terrain up separately from unique figures. I would like to see Unique figure sets and Terrain + common figure sets.

The decision to purchase or not is dependent on whether or not I want to spend the asked for money on the product, and the behind the scenes and market concerns are less important; if I don't want to spend $130 on the Heroquest set, then I won't. It being common place in the industry doesn't change that, because I'm also not going to spend that price on competitors. I'd rather spend my money on something else where I'm getting more in return, and I could get two new video games that I put hundreds of hours into with that money.

If these prices are common for the industry, then I'm just going to a different industry for entertainment

Whether the price is higher because plastic is more expensive, or because competitor prices went up, or because inflation, or because aliens came and took all our plastic doesn't change the fact that I don't want to spend that price on the product. It might make sense why a Rolls Royce costs so much or why real estate in Japan is so expensive, but I'm still not going to buy either of them
Old August 11th, 2022, 01:00 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
The decision to purchase or not is dependent on whether or not I want to spend the asked for money on the product, and the behind the scenes and market concerns are less important; if I don't want to spend $130 on the Heroquest set, then I won't. It being common place in the industry doesn't change that, because I'm also not going to spend that price on competitors. I'd rather spend my money on something else where I'm getting more in return, and I could get two new video games that I put hundreds of hours into with that money.

If these prices are common for the industry, then I'm just going to a different industry for entertainment

Whether the price is higher because plastic is more expensive, or because competitor prices went up, or because inflation, or because aliens came and took all our plastic doesn't change the fact that I don't want to spend that price on the product. It might make sense why a Rolls Royce costs so much or why real estate in Japan is so expensive, but I'm still not going to buy either of them
That all makes sense, and I see where you're coming from on that. I get it. I feel that way about many other industries--and even parts of this industry! I'm very picky about what games I spend my money on.

I just wanted to clarify that what people are asking for with a master set that has all that painted plastic for $40-$60 is not realistic.

The terrain will still be two-tone like the old terrain was, so that is a win IMO.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 11th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

That all makes sense, and I see where you're coming from on that. I get it. I feel that way about many other industries--and even parts of this industry! I'm very picky about what games I spend my money on.

I just wanted to clarify that what people are asking for with a master set that has all that painted plastic for $40-$60 is not realistic.

The terrain will still be two-tone like the old terrain was, so that is a win IMO.

Right, I can understand a price increase, cause to a certain degree Hasbro may have overdelivered with ROTV back in the day. The two tone-terrain is also good to hear as I'm sure it will catch the interest of potential new players, which is what will be needed for the revival of Heroscape to be long-lived.

From what I see the creative team is putting effort into providing fresh units types and abilites as well as expanding the lore, so I bet the new figures will play well and be a meaningful addition to the mechanics of the game.

We'll just have to wait and see what the official prices will be, cause I am still interested in the content and would like to add it to my collection
Old August 11th, 2022, 04:59 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I think a huge potential for success could be the terrain and achieving a breakthrough so that other minis players want to buy HeroScape terrain. There really isn't anything like it and it is amazing!! If they did advertising with some of the epic pictures from our gallery, people would be tripping over themselves to get it.

Maybe they should come out with square terrain to be more cross-compatible? (Tai-Pan runs for cover to avoid being pelted with rotten vegetables)

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 11th, 2022, 09:25 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I'm guessing they are closer to releasing the Master Set than we expect. Teasing out little bits of info each day like they have been doing of late is going to grow old fast if the product can't be purchased for another 12+ months.

I hope they sell terrain packs separately without any figures. Then expansion figure packs without any terrain. Only the initial new master set should have both figures and terrain. Players/collectors can then expand in which ever direction they want without paying for stuff they don't want. It would open up their product to people not interested in playing HS, but rather just wanting the mini's or terrain for some other use. Those additional sales will help keep HS profitable.

That Master Set will be on the high side of price. The new Risk game has just eight 28mm figures included with it, along with the basic game pieces, and cost $73. If the Master Set has just the 10 figures we've seen (one of which is very large), along with some collection of terrain, a new rule book, OM's, dice, wound markers, glyphs, it could be in the $75 range. More figures, more money.

If they start making new common squads, then I hope they at least learned from the last time and only sell them with other common squads. Sending a box out to the stores with a mixture of Unique figures and Common figures only resulted in unsold Unique figures sitting on the shelf preventing stores from ordering more.
Old August 11th, 2022, 10:02 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

For all the comments on possible price points, you play captialist games you win captialist prizes. Companies want to move the most units at the highest price pure and simple. Sometimes that is a few units at a high price others it is lots of units at a lower price.

Unfortunately the skirmish market is on the small side and has proven the market will bare higher prices (see unpainted D&d and bones for examples of what dragons go for). However colored plastic and simple mechanics indicate AH is targeting a wider market than CMON or Warhammer. This suggested they are hoping for more units to move at a price that might attack casual gamers like those that might be interested in unmatched.

Either way this ain't going to be cheap.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 11th, 2022, 10:29 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

They have already said they won't make those same packaging mistakes

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 11th, 2022, 10:49 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
They have already said they won't make those same packaging mistakes
I feel like Aquilla’s Alliance should be renamed dragon lady’s revenge though. Those secondary market prices show some truth in her theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 11th, 2022, 11:09 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
MSRP $19.99 Hero, $34.99 Dragon $24.99 squads
This seems a tad on the high side for squads and figures imo. I think we can look at games like Star Wars Legion, which has high quality minis that are unpainted, and runs about $5 cheaper for single figures/a box of 7 minis. It probably depends on whether squads are bundled again.

Also looking at Legion- I firmly expect the Master Set to be close to $100, if not $100

Current projects:
My C3G points tally | My customs thread
Arena of the Valkyrie Pod 2 Participant
Old August 12th, 2022, 01:05 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
The different target audience comment is interesting to consider. I think it is possible that they drop the basic version of the game.
This is one of my predictions also ... no more Basic Game mechanics.

I mentioned this on Discord and speculated what they might put on what was the Basic side of the Army Card. Someone suggested that it would be a good place for character bios.
Old August 12th, 2022, 01:38 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

After today's info drip of the Marro Pirate, I'm extremely interested to know how the War Council went about that character's backstory and how it broke away from the hive mind. My thoughts:
  • At some point during the time skip between ClassicScape and AoA, at least a portion of the Marro have begun evolving out of the hive mind, adopting free will.
  • The concept art shows some techy equipment attached to its body, similar to the Drudge but looking much more synthetic. It's possible that the Marro Pirate was captured from the swarm and had experimental equipment installed, thus freeing it from the hive's control. From there, it went off and is now living its own life.
  • Less likely (due to the War Council's intent of backwards compatibility) is that the hive was destroyed, and all Marro are now free to do as they please. This take is a reach, but worth mentioning.

I should also mention: Based on the dragon's name, Dryon Lifeborn Order Dragon, I think another named faction we'll see besides Dawnraider Syndicate is the Lifeborn Order. My thought here is that it will encompass unaligned nature-based beings: Dryon, the druid-looking lady, and the deer skull guy. IF I'm correct that the Lifeborn Order is indeed a faction, I could see them being a force of Valhalla itself to drive out the taint of war. As for why the Dawnraiders are included with the Lifeborn Order in the same set, it's possible that the Syndicate was hired to stamp out a threat posed by the Lifeborn Order (the three figures previously mentioned).

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 12th, 2022, 06:16 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

oops

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion